Swimming holes you've been to?

kokonut

Reaction score
A favorite swimming hole you go to or have swam in?

Here's my favorite when I frequented a lot when I was a boy with my family, uncles, aunt, and cousins. It's near Friend, Oregon. Finally found it after all those years. Swam in it yesterday. Refreshingly cold but not bone chilling.

P6070046.jpg

P6070047.jpg

Also, my family and I have a new swimming hole that's close to our home. A mere 30 minute drive to several spots along the East Fork Lewis River. It'd be best to swim in July or, preferably, August since the water is really cold as it comes from melting snow up at 4,000 ft (even now there is still some snow means pretty cold water in August), and the river is heavily shaded from the sun by the time the water gets to the swimming holes. By August water flow should be at its lowest and "warm" enough to tolerate the cold water provided that the outdoor temperature be at least 95 degrees. So, days are limited. But the swimming hole in Oregon, there are not a whole lot of trees, lots of exposed basalt rocks that can warm the surrounding water and the outdoor temperature gets warmer earlier and later in the season. It can get up to 110 degrees there in the canyons. Bliss! But then you have to watch out for rattlesnakes and H. torquata snakes, both poisonous snakes when you hike in or out. Heh.

Big plus is the in Oregon, it is isolated and relatively "hard" to get to with hardly no people to worry about (at least not expecting huge crowd of people) while the East Fork Lewis River is easy to access which means lots of people. But the two main pools in one swimming spot are plenty big enough for a crowd of people.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjs50v5_DQs&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - ‪My two daughters 14 foot jump into pool at sunset falls 07242010.3GP‬‏[/ame]

The first girl that jumped off the 15 foot edge into a 12 to 15 foot deep pool is my 2nd youngest daughter while the last one was my oldest daughter jumping in. Very proud of them! Yay! Adventurers they are!

As far back as I can remmy...we went to the Saint Mary's River in Georgia...there was a tire swing that we used to jump into the water. It was bone-chilling and icy-cold! Around Easter time....

Bob's River Place is another swimming hole we go to. Has rope swings and Slides to the Suwannee River. You can google it and has many You Tube videos that shows it.

We always went to Lake Starr in Lake Wales, FL. Now, they have closed it as a private lake and do not allow any swimming.

My kids have never been swimming except in a pool and still do not know how to swim.

We always went to Lake Starr in Lake Wales, FL. Now, they have closed it as a private lake and do not allow any swimming.

My kids have never been swimming except in a pool and still do not know how to swim.

I used to live in Lake Wales right off of hwy 60. :) Lake Wales really did not have a good swimming hole but did take the kids to Avon Park to Trout Lake to swim and take the boat to go tubing or the Chain of Lakes in Winter Haven. Sometime we even drove to Lithia Springs.

I used to live in Lake Wales right off of hwy 60. :) Lake Wales really did not have a good swimming hole but did take the kids to Avon Park to Trout Lake to swim and take the boat to go tubing or the Chain of Lakes in Winter Haven. Sometime we even drove to Lithia Springs.

We lived off Alt 27 out by Waverly and were across the street from Lake Mabel and a few miles from Starr Lake. We would ride our bikes the 3 miles to the lake every day during the summer and on weekends after chores were done.

Mine is Kirkwood which is far far far up into the backwoods and the water stays bone chilling cold year round, never goes dry. It takes about 30 minutes of back roads driving to get there from the main highway, and you have to know exactly where you're going to find it, otherwise you would get lost and end up on the other side of the mountain near the intersection known as 'Backbone', where 4 back roads intersect.

Really? I learned how to swim when I was 3 years old!

Really? I learned how to swim when I was 3 years old!

Where we lived at in Missouri there really wasn't anywhere to teach them. My daughter has always been afraid of the water. I just never got around to doing anything more. I learned when I was 2-3 because we had a pool in the backyard. Hubby learned in the ocean.

Where we lived at in Missouri there really wasn't anywhere to teach them. My daughter has always been afraid of the water. I just never got around to doing anything more. I learned when I was 2-3 because we had a pool in the backyard. Hubby learned in the ocean.

Ah. I learned how to swim at 3 and I still have memories of me being terrified of being put into the pool at the oral day camp. I have a photo of me somewhere in my apt of me kicking my swimming teacher when she put me in the pool. It was several days before I was able to relax enough to be put into the pool without kicking.

The video I produced in the above of my two daughters jumping into the East Fork Lewis River has a water temperature of about 15 degrees Celsius (plus/minus 2) during the summer Celsius or from 55 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Not quite "bone" chilling but certainly great to jump in while the air temperature is like 100 degrees F.

I wish I could swim! : (
We had a summer camp in NH on Pow Wow River and my older sister and I where at a neighbor's house and my sister told me it was safe for me to walk in the water up to my knees . I was about 8 years old and I when into the water and started to walk in deeper and before I knew it the water was over my head! I panic as I could not swim and kept trying to get my head out of the water, my neighbor thought I was fooling around then he saw my sister screaming and swimming to me. My neighbor had to jump in with all his clothes on to save me!! I took swimming lessons 2 times and I still can't swim! I wish I could get over my fear !

Back