Swedish language

Ok I did some rudimentary experimenting using Google translate and this is what I came up with:
1. He played a Swedish song.
2. The dog was a Swedish breed.
3. The boy spoke Swedish.
4. They had a Swedish dish.
5. The machine was of Swede origin.
6. The man was a Swede from Stockholm.
7. Sweden
8. Swedish
9. Swede
10. The Swede
11. The Swedish
12. A Swede
13. A Swedish
14. The Swedes win again!
15. The soccer team was from Sweden.
16. The captain of the team was from Vansboro, Sweden.
17. The team manager was a Swedish man who lived in Norway.
18. It is a Swedish custom to be well educated.
19. The boy was of Swedish origin, but he went to school in the United States.
21. It was a Swedish dog.
22. The dog was a Swedish breed.
23. He learned from a Swedish Chemistry book.
24. The boy had a dog from Sweden.

Swedish translations:
1. Han spelade ett svenskt låt.
2. Hunden var ett svenskt ras.
3. Pojken talade svenska.
4. De hade ett svenskt maträtt.
5. Maskinen var av svensk ursprung.
6. Mannen var svensk från Stockholm.
7. Sverige
8. Svenska
9. Kålrot
10. Svensken
11. Den svenska
12. En svensk
13. Ett svenskt
14. Svenskarna vinner igen!
15. Den fotbollslag var från Sverige.
16. Den lagkapten var från Vansboro, Sverige.
17. Lagledaren var en Svensk man som bodde i Norge.
18. Det är ett svenskt anpassad att vara välutbildade.
19. Pojken var av svenskt ursprung, men han gick i skola i USA.
21. Det var ett svenskt hund.
22. Hunden var ett svenskt ras.
23. Han lärde sig från ett svenskt kemi bok.
24. Pojken hade en hund från Sverige.

Thank you, Dixie!

I need to look into that as your examples above show other variations like the svenskt (the t). For example, why svenska is used when I say I am learning the Swedish language, but then it becomes svenskt when saying He played a Swedish song. I think it's tense that changes it.

I hope this doesn't confuse you more, but when you are referring to the Swedish language, it is a noun because the language is part of being a Swede. However, songs can be parts of other cultures, too, so that is why it is used as an adjective.

I hope this doesn't confuse you more, but when you are referring to the Swedish language, it is a noun because the language is part of being a Swede. However, songs can be parts of other cultures, too, so that is why it is used as an adjective.

Thank you! So because it is a noun, then svenska was correct after all (which is what the translation said in the first place.) That actually makes me feel better because I was starting to wonder about the accuracy of the translation I was using if it were wrong.

Thank you! So because it is a noun, then svenska was correct after all (which is what the translation said in the first place.) That actually makes me feel better because I was starting to wonder about the accuracy of the translation I was using if it were wrong.

Yay, pretty soon you will be jabbering in 3rd grade Swedish!! :lol:

Just saw this thread.

I'm Danish/Canadien. :)

Ga Danmark Ga! (Go Denmark go!!)

That is all I know. :giggle:

God kväll. Jag ska till en amerikansk fotbollsmatch med min dotter. Vi kommer att heja på de mäktiga Little Johns. Jag hoppas att alla har en bra helg.

Translation:
Good evening. I am going to an american football match tonight with my daughter. We will cheer on the mighty Little Johns. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Du hast ein Schone wachenende auch!

I always thought there wasnt a "scandanavian" language since Finland, Sweden, Denmark, and Iceland all have their own variation of it. But its cool with me because to me you're learning "Viking" haha

This was about Swedish language. The reference to Scandanavian was about our nationality/background, not so much the language. :)

And yoo-ha! Vikings !! Stop losing your games !! ;) (said by rabid Vikings fan.)

I always thought there wasnt a "scandanavian" language since Finland, Sweden, Denmark, and Iceland all have their own variation of it. But its cool with me because to me you're learning "Viking" haha

In Scandinavia the term Nordic languages is the most common, which refer to the North Germanic languages Swedish, Danish, Norweigan, Icelandic and Faroese.

Finnish isn't related to the above languages.

Humm, I learned something today, Thanks Replicant! :) :wave:

Back