Swear words on captioned DVD's?

Hollykins1

Reaction score
Hello all,

With captioning on DVD's, are the swear words written out? I'm asking as my friend's mother uses captioning whenever possible, but she's very old school and gets offended by bad language in films.

She wants to see The King's Speech, but my friend is afraid that they'll type out the words as she's heard it does have "adult language".

I myself use captioning on TV and never really noticed, but then I don't get offended by language. Most broadcast stations bleep out any words and I don't think I've even given it a thought as to whether I've seen them captioned.

For DVD's I just turn it up loud, so I can't answer her question. Has anyone on here seen The King's Speech using captioning? Will it offend a super religious 88 year old woman?

Yes, there are lots of F*** words in Kings Speech. I use sub-titles and I am sure they will be shown in CC if available.

Peter

From what I hear quite time ago that Hollywood was sue on the small industry where they censor the nasty language into something else, but I wasn't sure if they also edit on CC. It was more like the religious business.

I would think that the audio track and the captions would not be censored on a DVD because you're supposed to be getting the theatrical version of the movie. Words are only censored by the networks broadcasting them, at their own discretion.

If there is an exception, I would think it would be clearly labeled so, such as "This is the PG version of the original R-rated movie."

Really, I think when people rent or buy DVD movies, they expect to get the full version of the original movie.

I love The King's Speech. That famous scene in particular dropped numerous F words. There have been talks of releasing a PG-13 version DVD. I heard they released a PG-13 version movie at few theaters in Dallas area, and did not cut the scene except the F words were muting or bleeping. That is all I know.

Wirelessly posted

Yes I have seen "The King's Speech" with CC yes the CC does show the bad language.
It is a excellent movie omitting the bad language.

Wirelessly posted

Delete double post- sorry its my smartphone. It keeps doing that to me :lol:

Last edited:
My first thought was very prudish captioners who would want to censor the spoken words too if they could.

Nothing should be censored on captions...I have the right to the full dialogue as any other hearing person.

Yes, everything is captioned (if the film is supposed to be captioned).

What you probably need is a TVG (television guardian). My grandparents got one for their television. It blanks out (or substitute swear words) in shows.

For instance, someone says "shit"... you might see nothing or "shoot". It varies.

In UK with subtitles on TV, if someone swears it will appear swear words except BBC, BBC do not accept swear words usually, spoken or captioned. Only time BBC allow it late night films or adult programmes late at night (11pm and onwards).

ALL DVDs in UK are subtitled what person saying even they are swearing.

Well, she won't want to see Pulp Fiction then. :lol:

Or ' Lenny Bruce' Dustin Hoffman does a great job. Every other word is a swear word. Is said right on the DVD if the movie 'R' rated . The answer is 'Yes' and and why wouldn't it be in CC. I think it funny when the CC tell when a person 'fart' or is peeing.

Nothing should be censored on captions...I have the right to the full dialogue as any other hearing person.

I would really upset if that happen , I want every word to be in CC ,and swear words too. TV is getting a little loser with swear words.

sometimes on influence to reason screw up bully on negative swearing because, parents prevent to children foul language reason that is why point! I knew already research find information! my sister swearing, I am shocked copy on reason on dvd and serious inappropriate code ethic school! they will not accept!

Back