Swarm Of Bees Kills Beagle

sara1981

Reaction score
Swarm Of Bees Kills Beagle
Swarm Of Bees Kills Beagle - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami

WESTON, Fla. -- A swarm of bees apparently killed a beagle that was tied to a tree outside a Weston home Tuesday morning, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office.

Lucy, an 8-year-old beagle, was sitting on the front steps of her family's home in the 2500 block of Jardin Lane when a palm frond broke away and a swarm of bees attacked her.

"I immediately went to the door to go outside, and the bees started swarming inside the house," said Jorge Braithwaite, Lucy's owner. "I closed the door and got my cell phone and called 911."

Braithwaite said he tried to save his dog by using bug spray and even the garden hose, but the bees just would not let up. The bees even went after Braithwaite, and since Lucy was secured to a tree, she could not run away.

"She went into the hedges, trying to find a safe place, and there weren't any safe places," Braithwaite said.

Firefighters wearing protective gear removed Lucy from the area where the bees were, but she was already dead.

It is still unclear what type of bees killed Lucy, but experts will examine them.

By all accounts, Lucy was a small dog with a big personality. The beagle was known throughout her Weston neighborhood as a friendly dog who loved to be outdoors.

"She was really sweet," said neighbor Elise Bolski. "She would greet everybody and sniff around, and she was real friendly to other dogs."

"The dog was actually my wife's life and pride and joy," Braithwaite said.

im rather not let my dog the beagle go near bees!!

This is such a sad story! However, dogs/cats are more vulnerable to bug bite/sting than humans since they are smaller in weight...so I guess it was to be expected that a swarm of bees can kill a beagle

Such a sad story! :( poor owner and poor Lucy... :( Such a cruel way to pass away...

Back