Suspicions behind Iran poll doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Suspicions behind Iran poll doubts

When Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was declared the landslide victor in Iran's presidential election - less than 24 hours after polls closed - the shock on the streets of Tehran was palpable.

Mr Ahmadinejad had won 63% of the vote, his challenger, Mir Hossein Mousavi, 34%.

"I thought at least 80-90% of Tehrani voters were in favour of Mousavi, I can't really believe it," said one man.

Disbelief quickly turned to anger and hundreds of thousands of Mr Mousavi's supporters came out in protest.

But Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamanei, the final authority on all constitutional matters, has stood by the result, saying the Islamic Republic "would not betray the vote of the people".

Mobile polling stations

Opposition concerns about the running of the election emerged early in the process.

There was a record turnout across the country on polling day
Monitors from their campaign teams, who by law are allowed to oversee every polling station, were issued with invalid ID cards or refused entry.

And there was a 10-fold increase in the number of mobile polling stations - ballot boxes transported from place to place by agents of the interior ministry, which is run by a close ally of Mr Ahmadinejad.

"One third of the ballot boxes were mobile," says Mehdi Khalaji, senior fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy.

"They were out of the control of the local authorities and the representatives of the candidates, and nobody knows what they have done to them".

Polling day saw a record turnout and Iranians queued for hours to cast their ballot in an election which all agreed was critical to the future direction of their country.

"Early on polling day, the SMS network was shut down, that made me worried about what was going to happen," says Tehran journalist Ali Pahlavan.

Tehran - scene of huge pro-Mousavi rallies ahead of vote and massive protests after vote
East Azerbaijan - home area of Mir Hossein Mousavi
Lorestan - home area of Mehdi Karroubi who won 55.5% of vote there in first round in 2005 compared to 8.8% for Ahmedinejad
Mazandaran - number of votes casts exceeds the number of eligible voters
Khuzestan - home province of candidate Mohsen Rezaie

See table for full province results breakdown for Ahmedinejad and Mousavi

With little access to the state-controlled broadcast media, Mr Mousavi's largely young, technically savvy supporters use text messages to campaign.

"Then the interior ministry [where results from polling stations around the country are collated] started kicking out its own employees so that just a skeleton personnel and the top officials were left," says Mr Pahlavan.

Quick results

Despite the high turnout, the count was remarkably quick, and the results unusually consistent, with none of the typical variations between different regions and cities.

This is something more than a manipulated election, this is a coup

Mehdi Khalaji

"Iran is a huge country, nearly four times the size of France and they began announcing the results within four hours, in past elections it's taken 24. It just seems to me the fix was in," says Juan Cole, Professor of Middle Eastern History at the University of Michigan.

Others point to particular results which appear unlikely.

For example, in Mr Mousavi's home province of East Azerbaijan, which is known to have fierce regional and ethnic loyalties to the reformist candidate, he polled far worse than expected.

And the liberal cleric Mehdi Karroubi polled 5% in Lorestan, despite having won 55% there in the first round of voting in 2005 when he also stood as a candidate.

"In some provinces like Khoresan or Mazandaran the number of people who voted exceeded the number of eligible voters in those provinces," points out Mr Khalaji.

"If they wanted to do a manipulation as they have done before, they could have done it in a more elegant and delicate way.

"This is something more than a manipulated election, this is a coup".

Irregularities

The crisis is now about more than whether the opposition really won
But others say there is no proof of a large scale plot by the establishment.

"The opposition has not provided any hard evidence yet that the elections were rigged," says Arshin Adib Moghaddem of the School of Oriental and African Studies in London.

"If there had been a strategic plan to hijack the elections, I wonder why people like Mohsen Rezai the head of the Expediency Council, who was also one of the presidential candidates, did not know about it. It is highly unlikely".

But with their monitors excluded from the voting and counting process it is difficult for the opposition to come up with such hard evidence.

The Guardian Council, the country's highest supervisory committee is investigating 646 complaints of misconduct.

"It's an admission there were irregularities," says Prof Cole.

"But the problem is, the Guardian Council is headed by a cleric, who is a far-right hardliner and known big supporter of Mr Ahmadinejad," he adds.

"So asking that body to review the ballot is like putting the fox in charge of the chicken coop."

Loss of faith

No-one may ever know exactly what happened on the night of Iran's elections, or who the rightful winner is.

Even critics of the process say it is possible Mr Ahmadinejad won.

An independent poll taken in May by the US organisation Terror Free Tomorrow found 34% of those surveyed would vote for Mr Ahmadinejad, with 14% for Mr Mousavi and 27% undecided.

But the opposition believes this crisis has now gone beyond the question of who the true victor is.

Iran's particular brand of religious democracy has always promised a balance between clerical leadership and the will of the people.

Now many people's faith in that system has been lost. It may take more than a recount of the votes to restore it.

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Suspicions behind Iran poll doubts

You can see the map and list number of voters in the link.

Curious - do you agree that the Iran election is suspicious and might be rigged?

From what I've read, it seems that the election was rigged.

East Azerbaijan - home area of Mir Hossein Mousavi
Lorestan - home area of Mehdi Karroubi who won 55.5% of vote there in first round in 2005 compared to 8.8% for Ahmedinejad
Mazandaran - number of votes casts exceeds the number of eligible voters
Khuzestan - home province of candidate Mohsen Rezaie
How does one place account for more than half of the votes? That's like saying Texas accounted for 51% of the vote for the last election. :crazy:

Another place has more votes than voters. There's something very wrong here.

I'm following this on twitter and stuff. Earlier today, I read that there were more votes than registered voters in 50 districts, and more than 100% voter turnout in three major areas (I can't remember where exactly I saw this, but it was something along those lines)

Curious - do you agree that the Iran election is suspicious and might be rigged?

Again, I am neutral.

I only accept if the people say they are cheat and I also accept if other people say they are not cheat.

Like what I did during Bush vs Gore in Election 2000 before.

The people during Iran Election and US Election 2000 are in my thought and hope for them until the decision comes.

For Iran Election, my opinion is Iran leader should agree to have re-election to aviod the public fighting. I also said the same thing over re-election during US Election 2000 as well.

Again, I am neutral.

I only accept if the people say they are cheat and I also accept if other people say they are not cheat.

Like what I did during Bush vs Gore in Election 2000 before.

The people during Iran Election and US Election 2000 are in my thought and hope for them until the decision comes.

For Iran Election, my opinion is Iran leader should agree to have re-election to aviod the public fighting.

in other word - you don't think about it. you just accept the way it is. You know what's it called? ignorance.

From what I've read, it seems that the election was rigged.

How does one place account for more than half of the votes? That's like saying Texas accounted for 51% of the vote for the last election. :crazy:

Another place has more votes than voters. There's something very wrong here.

Yes, I´m total surprised when I look at total votes that it´s over 60 percent of total 70 million population don´t vote. There´re only 38,951, 043 voters of 70 million population which is too low.

Accord the news, Ahmadinejad help a lot of villiagers. It look like that most villiagers vote him because of this`?:hmm:

It would be easy for me to suspect if 60 millions voters but it´s only 39 millions voters. It´s very hard that´s why I suggest to have re-election.

in other word - you don't think about it. you just accept the way it is. You know what's it called? ignorance.

I don´t inference Iranian´s decision and country.

I respect them.

Would you like that other countries inference your country´s Election to accuse them as cheaters?

Who ignorance? Of course YOU.

Ok, Ok - Liebling and Jiro --- Let's play it nice, ok? :D

I don´t inference Iranian´s decision and country.

I respect them.

Would you like that other countries inference your country´s Election to accuse them as cheaters?

Who ignorance? Of course YOU.

but they DID cheat! look at what they're doing to these poor Iranians!! Simply look at your recent posts. It's the proof that you finally admit that the election is rigged.

We did not interfere with Iranian election. All we did is speak out and :nono: at them - same thing with German, British, and French governments. If you think we're interfering, then your own government is interfering too. Please do not confuse yourself - these Iranians are fighting their own government by themselves. Please turn on your tv and see what's going on in Iran (if it's not censored).

Americans are not there to fight for them. Americans are nowhere close to Iran. All Americans did is :nono: at them because the Iranian government is shooting at peaceful protesters and beating them.

Please do not bicker with me because you are basically agreeing with everything what we said based on your recent posts. There's nothing wrong with that. We are simply telling you the truth of what's really going on in Iran - Ahmadinejad and Khamenei are bad bad bad bad men. They are the reason why they made Iran looks like a bad country. :nono: I do not respect them. I do not support them. If you do, that's fine. Remember - what's going on in Iran is entirely by Iranians, not Americans. Don't forget that.

but they DID cheat! look at what they're doing to these poor Iranians!! Simply look at your recent posts. It's the proof that you finally admit that the election is rigged.

I did not admit but show the list of voters and response Vampy´s post because I didn´t know that over 60 % of 70 million population did not vote. The fact is you also didn´t know, too.

That´s why I said that it´s very hard to suspect because of 60% non-voters.

I never say that I agree with Iran´s election in first place.

Please read very very very carefully what I response Vampy´s post.

We did not interfere with Iranian election.

Who is "we"? I only see you and a very few ADers. Yes, you are because you gave McCain right for want Obama to rough on Iran. You repeat dozen of times that you has the right to interfere Iran´s Election.

All we did is speak out and :nono: at them - same thing with German, British, and French governments. If you think we're interfering, then your own government is interfering too. Please do not confuse yourself - these Iranians are fighting their own government by themselves. Please turn on your tv and see what's going on in Iran (if it's not censored).

Again who is "we"? US, German, British and French government limit themselves for speak out on Iranians´ behalf, not what Republicians want for Obama. I am glad that Obama do not listen Republican´s advice.

Americans are not there to fight for them. Americans are nowhere close to Iran.

Thank God, Obama is president of the USA, not McCain.

All Americans did is :nono: at them because the Iranian government is shooting at peaceful protesters and beating them.

Iranians killed each other which is really sad because Mossavi should tell them to protest, not fighting and killed each other.

And I´m wondering: Why is "Police" written in English and not Farsi on uniforms and shields of the men attacking the demonstrators? :hmm:

Please do not bicker with me because you are basically agreeing with everything what we said based on your recent posts. There's nothing wrong with that. We are simply telling you the truth of what's really going on in Iran - Ahmadinejad and Khamenei are bad bad bad bad men. They are the reason why they made Iran looks like a bad country. :nono: I do not respect them. I do not support them. If you do, that's fine. Remember - what's going on in Iran is entirely by Iranians, not Americans. Don't forget that.

Look, I know Iran history for long, long, time.

It´s not my responsible that you misinterpreted my post.

I did not admit but show the list of voters and response Vampy´s post because I didn´t know that over 60 % of 70 million population did not vote. The fact is you also didn´t know, too.

That´s why I said that it´s very hard to suspect because of 60% non-voters.
But I was right. Common Sense!

I never say that I agree with Iran´s election in first place.

Please read very very very carefully what I response Vampy´s post.
Your comment - "I have to accept Iranians´ decision for Ahmadinejad and congrats him and wish him best of good luck in polite way to respect Iranians."

In other word - you agree with Iran's election.

Who is "we"? I only see you and a very few ADers. Yes, you are because you gave McCain right for want Obama to rough on Iran. You repeat dozen of times that you has the right to interfere Iran´s Election.
ever heard of Free Speech? We, including McCain, can criticize without getting shot and beaten like Iranians :)

Again who is "we"? US, German, British and French government limit themselves for speak out on Iranians´ behalf, not what Republicians want for Obama. I am glad that Obama do not listen Republican´s advice.
Do you see anybody congratulating or accepting the election result? Seems like only you do. :dunno:

Iranians killed each other which is really sad because Mossavi should tell them to protest, not fighting and killed each other.
huh? do you know who is killing the protesters? Iranians are not killing themselves. The Basijis and riot police are killing them.

Look, I know Iran history for long, long, time.

It´s not my responsible that you misinterpreted my post.
and so do I :)

But I was right. Common Sense!

No, nobody knows exactly how many voters of 70 million popluation until yesterday. I don´t want to make assume until I saw the list of voters of total population then I can count out.

I know you loves to make a lot of assumption which I don´t.

Your comment - "I have to accept Iranians´ decision for Ahmadinejad and congrats him and wish him best of good luck in polite way to respect Iranians."

I said "have to" - don´t you know what those word mean "have to"? then go to definition.

In other word - you agree with Iran's election.

You said, not me.

ever heard of Free Speech? We, including McCain, can criticize without getting shot and beaten like Iranians :)

If McCain want to criticize but he should do that in respectful way, not tough on foreign policy.

Do you see anybody congratulating or accepting the election result? Seems like only you do. :dunno:

I am sorry that you don´t like but it´s me. I know that I am not only one who have to accept Iranian´s decision and congrats to him for Iranians.

huh? do you know who is killing the protesters? Iranians are not killing themselves. The Basijis and riot police are killing them.

Again, - you skipped my question...

And I´m wondering: Why is "Police" written in English and not Farsi on uniforms and shields of the men attacking the demonstrators? :hmm:
:)

Yes, not just Police but Iranians killed each other as well.

Bob and weave, bob and weave, bob and weave.....

Ignoring Liebling's post above in order to prevent this thread from getting :locked: because I'm basically talking to a wall so why continue this silly nonsense?

The point still remains in the very beginning of all threads - We stand correct that this election was rigged and Liebling was wrong. :wave:

In other words, trying to have it both ways. Not gonna work here.

And I´m wondering: Why is "Police" written in English and not Farsi on uniforms and shields of the men attacking the demonstrators?

because English is Universal Language. Iranians are educated enough to know what "POLICE" means. Farsi is not the only Iranian language.

See below -

Korean Riot Police - it's in English as well
japan_police.jpg

??? How can Mossavi stop the killings? He's not in control of the police or undercover agents of Ahmadinejad.

Post-election protests continued in Tehran for the fifth day on Wednesday. In many photos, riot police wear uniforms with the English word police on them. Ambulances, too, bear the word ambulance in English. Why not use Persian words instead of their English equivalents?

Because everyone knows English. Like many capital cities, Tehran has its emergency personnel wear markings that are internationally recognizable. Street signs, too, are translated into English, and police cars are generally inscribed in both English and Persian. That makes the city more tourist-friendly without sacrificing clarity for locals. After all, the Persian word for police is the same: polise. (Persian, or Farsi, is an Indo-European language that uses an Arabic script, but people will often use Latin lettering, also known as Penglish or Fingilish, especially when typing or texting.) It's also the same word in French (police), German (polizei), Italian (polizia), Czech (policie), and many other languages. Iranian students are required to take English classes in high school. So using the English word for police actually maximizes the number of people who will understand it.

Police isn't the only word Farsi borrows from English. There's a long list of "loanwords" that have trickled into the language since World War II. For example, Iranians use the words computer, chat, and mobile (as in, cell phone) in the same way English speakers do. Hot dog isn't a perfect translation, but it refers to a sausagelike sandwich popular in Iran. Persian slang often incorporates English, too. The phrase love terekkundan—literally, to burst with love—is slang for hooking up. Top means cool. And you can use the phrase trip zadan to say, "He's tripping," in a literal (i.e., drug-related) or figurative sense....
Why do Iranian police uniforms say "police" in English? - By Christopher Beam - Slate Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back