Suspected Gang Members Kill Deaf Man

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=3854425

The mother and girlfriend of a deaf man gunned down in Canoga Park by suspected gang members asked for the public's help today in finding the man's killer.

Lee Carter, 23, was walking home from the store Tuesday night when he was confronted by four men in the 21000 block of Parthenia Street, ABC7 reported.

Police believe the suspects may have mistaken Carter's sign language for gang signs, prompting the shooting.

"The hardest part is I heard the shots," Carter's mother, Yolanda Emanuel, told ABC7. Emanuel said gang members had confronted her son before because of his use of sign language.

Carter's girlfriend, who is also deaf, used sign language to ask for witnesses to come forward.

"Let me know who killed my boyfriend. Call me or call the police," she said.

Anyone with more information about Carter's death was asked to call police at the Devonshire Station at (818) 756-0669.

My best friend told me about that today...sooo sad :(
:madfawk: :madfawk: at the gang!!!

Miss-Delectable said:
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=3854425

The mother and girlfriend of a deaf man gunned down in Canoga Park by suspected gang members asked for the public's help today in finding the man's killer.

Lee Carter, 23, was walking home from the store Tuesday night when he was confronted by four men in the 21000 block of Parthenia Street, ABC7 reported.

Police believe the suspects may have mistaken Carter's sign language for gang signs, prompting the shooting.

"The hardest part is I heard the shots," Carter's mother, Yolanda Emanuel, told ABC7. Emanuel said gang members had confronted her son before because of his use of sign language.

Carter's girlfriend, who is also deaf, used sign language to ask for witnesses to come forward.

"Let me know who killed my boyfriend. Call me or call the police," she said.

Anyone with more information about Carter's death was asked to call police at the Devonshire Station at (818) 756-0669.

This is exactly why I do not chat in ASL in the open where it is public. Anything can happen. I prefer to use ASL in closed doors where it is safe to chat in ASL.

I agree, :madfawk: to the gangs !!!!

I remember when I was in high school, I was friends with a guy who then just got out of the Gangster Disciples. He told me quite a bit about his experience. The gang life is very interesting, but very disturbing.

I hope the best for the victim and his poor family. They are in my thoughts.

This not the first time this kind of thing happened and I'm pretty sure that the oralists will milk this for all it's worth.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
This not the first time this kind of thing happened and I'm pretty sure that the oralists will milk this for all it's worth.

Richard

I think anyone who makes a decision on ASL vs. Oralism based on one small factor would be a little loony.

Yes, a death is a significant issue, but's it's also like telling people to decide against driving a car because a certain number of people die annually in automobile accidents.

How did gang signs start, anyway, I wonder? Do they have meanings? Or do they stand for names of gangs?

I have no idea. This is way too sad!

circlerain said:
How did gang signs start, anyway, I wonder? Do they have meanings? Or do they stand for names of gangs?

I have no idea. This is way too sad!

Here are 2 website links....that are meant as education for safety purposes only.

http://www.knowgangs.com/gang_resources/handsigns/menu_001.htm

http://www.knowgangs.com/gang_resources/handsigns/menu_003.htm

I also know that during WW 2 ... basic ASL was used by the U.S. Navy in an experiment then they went to their own homemade system of hand signals for underwater combat operations. I am sure they still use hand signals today which probably are classified, which would not surprise me.

For Your Own Safety. Never Flash These Gang Signs Please !!!!

Endymion said:
I think anyone who makes a decision on ASL vs. Oralism basedon one small factor would be a little loony.

Tell that to Sgt Jeff Lanai of the Santa Ana Police gang unit. I worked with him on some occaisons.

Richard

Nesmuth said:

Yeah, considering the lack of public knowledge of sign language could be construed as their fault...

His Girlfriend, My Cousin!

First, I want to say that while I have hearing lost in my left ear, I am not totally deaf. I have learned a little bit of sign language over the years, because I love to express myself and being able to communicate with ones hands is so beautiful to me.
At my church, once, a group called "Unspoken" came and performed the song "Lean On Me" by Kirk Franklin. It was the first time that I had ever heard that song, as it was fairly new at the time. When I heard it, I just stood and cried, it was so lovely.
I have always watched hearing impaired people communicate in public and I love the fact that they can talk to each other. But, I was never aware of how frieghtening it could be, until I saw my little cousin on television, crying and expressing her fears of going out.
This makes me so very angry, not just because of what happened to her boyfriend and all that she and her daughter will suffer, but because this world is becoming increasingly evil. It is easy to say, well just don't go out by yourself. But everyone has a right to as much independence as they want.
This situation touches and affects everyone. It affected my entire family. When I heard the voicemail from my auntie (her grand-mother). I was outraged, it was one of those calls you always hope wont ever come. Although he wasn't yet family, it broke my heart to hear such a sad story, but in seeing my cousins pain, I was fit to be tied.
Like the guy on channel nine said, "We could all learn a lesson from this." One thing that has been lost is the will to get involved, and the, "That is not my problem," attitude sickens me. It is time to go back to the days when the neighbors looked out for all the children on the block and not just their own.
Back in the seventies, when I was a child, it was all in a days work. Now, when someone does that they are featured in Reader's Digest and labeled a hero, because it is so rare. That is a shame! Let's get back to healing our nation by being aware and giving a care.

hi this is chanel. i am lee carter's girlfriend, the mother of his 2 years old daughter malia. i have been reading all those posts. im standing strong for the Lord, it hurts still but the things will get better sooner. thanks for your prayers and i will pray for you and i will ask the Lord to bless you all. be strong and dont be afraid because God is with you wherever you go. trust our amighty heavenly father! we are children of God.

GodServant said:
hi this is chanel. i am lee carter's girlfriend, the mother of his 2 years old daughter malia. i have been reading all those posts. im standing strong for the Lord, it hurts still but the things will get better sooner. thanks for your prayers and i will pray for you and i will ask the Lord to bless you all. be strong and dont be afraid because God is with you wherever you go. trust our amighty heavenly father! we are children of God.

First off, I'm sorry for your lost, my thoughts and prayers are with you, your daughter and hopefully the individual or individuals who caused this will be apprehended soon....

Please do hang in there and btw, welcome to Alldeaf! :)

GodServant,
I am sorry to hear about the loss and our prayers are with you and your family and her family.. HOpe someone catch who did to her..

GodServant said:

God Bless you also and please know that you and your family are in my prayers too.

Thank you....

GodServant said:

Chantel, I am glad you came here and I wanted to say I am sorry for the loss of your loved one. I knew someone's brother who got killed by a gang too in 80's not too far from your home for using asl to his brother. They caught them and they have been in jail since then (hopefully stay there for life time) and hope they will do same for your boyfriend's killer or killers, find them and prescute them.

And I ask Lord to bless you and your daughter and his family.

its same story happened in minnesota about 8 year ago.. he walked and he had talk himself with (C) somhow gang walk the across of the sidewalk and saw him talking to himself in the sign language which thought it's a insault to them but he's was all deaf. I believe last name is Chaney, He got terrible abuse and got attack with broken glass bottle in the eye.

it's so sad.... but he is okay, he's strong and stand up for himself right now the last time i heard he's is a teacher for gangs people to don't get confused with sign languages which is good and we need that.

GodServant said:

I'm really sorry to hear about Lee, and my prayers are with you and your daughter.....

Back