survey!!!

would you rather be called deaf or hearing impaired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

darkling16

Reaction score
xxx
THIS SURVEY IS CONDUCTED FOR MY 7TH GRADE REPORT. READ OVER THE QUESTION FOR I DONTWANT TO BE HATED FOR CALLING IT THE WRONG TERM

1. WHAT IS IT LIKE BEING DEAF?

2. WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK OF YOU WHEN THEY SEE YOU?

3. WHAT MEDICAL TREATMENTS ARE AVAILABLE TO TREAT HEARING IMPAIRMENT(OR AS IS ON MY WORKSHEET DEAFNESS)?

4.WHAT IS THE TERM THAT IS PREFERED BY PEOPLE WITH THIS DISORDER?

I HOPE NON OF THESE QUESTIONS OFFEND ANYONE IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM

More homework?

I'm not trying to be rude, but you're only one of many other people who have came here in the past couple of months attempting to gather research for a paper/project/class. And after those people get their answers, they're never to be seen again. Its as if the posters here are seen as nothing more than a grade. If you were to use the search feature, you'd find these topics have been covered many many times before.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, as 1. I do not speak for everyone who actively posts here on AD, and 2. I am not deaf.

i know most people do that but i kinda would like to visit whenever possible when im done i like some of the stuff that people write about.

well im not deaf either so cant help u out.

darkling16 said:
xxx
THIS SURVEY IS CONDUCTED FOR MY 7TH GRADE REPORT. READ OVER THE QUESTION FOR I DONTWANT TO BE HATED FOR CALLING IT THE WRONG TERM

1. WHAT IS IT LIKE BEING DEAF? wonderful! dont have to hear anyone b*tching about anything.. being deaf is like.. my ears r in peace :)

2. WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK OF YOU WHEN THEY SEE YOU? i dont know i didnt ask them

3. WHAT MEDICAL TREATMENTS ARE AVAILABLE TO TREAT HEARING IMPAIRMENT(OR AS IS ON MY WORKSHEET DEAFNESS)? CI or whatever.. theres nothing that can cure me to be hearing... i rather stay deaf.. :D

4.WHAT IS THE TERM THAT IS PREFERED BY PEOPLE WITH THIS DISORDER? :confused:

u did not offended me :) i enjoy answering your questions :dance2:

Have you tried searching through old topics? I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information if you look hard enough.

No words to describe it. What is it to be like a hearing person? How do you describe yourself as a hearing person? What should we use as a reference?

Do I really care what other people think when they see me?

3. WHAT MEDICAL TREATMENTS ARE AVAILABLE TO TREAT HEARING IMPAIRMENT(OR AS IS ON MY WORKSHEET DEAFNESS)?

I am very happy with being deaf, and there is no need for me to seek medical treatment for my deafness. In broader terms, there is no "one" answer for everyone when it comes to treatments for people with hearing loss or deafness. You really should do a much more in-depth research in the areas of treatment possibilities for people with deafness or hearing loss.

Why is deafness called a "disorder?" I don't consider it to be a disorder, and I am sure some of us don't. I call myself Deaf with capital D.

1.whats it like being Deaf ? at times peaceful , other times loanly. the comunication part sucks because not everyone knows sign . reading lips is vary diffecult and tiering. your sence of awareness is far greater then hearies, meaning us deafies see , feel , and smell things way quiker then hearies. but over all i'm happy with who i am . 2. what do people think of me ? i realy don't know and probably don't want to know. :P 3. deafness isn't a disorder . but there may be disorders that causes hoh or deafness. but i can't answer that for you . alot of deafies and hoh had menigitiss ( sorry if i misspelled that ) i had rhumatic fever at age 5 i have read that theres some medicans that can cause deafness as well. allso loud music is a killer to the eardrums. i prefer to be called Deaf because thats what i am. hearing impaired means you still have the ability to hear but not as good as you should. all though there are some deafies that can hear slight things but their still concidered deaf. just like there are some blind people that can see but not enough to concider them able to see. hope this helps alittle . and i don't speak for all deafies or hoh's just given you my opinion.

Being Deaf is like wearing ear plugs in your ear or try going under water and stay there.. You will hear silence.. While you're under water, look up and see all the people talking, laughing, playing, etc. You'll get the feeling of what its like not hearing anything.

It really varies on people how they view me.. some look at me normal.. some look at me like I'm a mental-retarded or as a "handicapped", some freaks out.. I don't see myself as a handicap, I just can't hear but the rest of me is normal.

There's no medical treatments that can be done. Its only by our choices on how we want to live our lives.. but there are devices that may can help you hear better such as Cochlear Implants and Hearing Aids. I don't consider that as a medical treatment...Some just prefer not having any at all. Some go through speech therapies to learn to speak. Most of us use American Sign Language. there are several others that communicate by using SEE (can someone tell me what that stands for?), Cued Speech, Home Signs

Deaf, Hearing Impaired, Hard of Hearing but I prefer to be called Deaf myself

Hope this helps but some of you can help me include more infos in the questions..

kuifje75 said:

No words to describe it. What is it to be like a hearing person? How do you describe yourself as a hearing person? What should we use as a reference?

Do I really care what other people think when they see me?

I am very happy with being deaf, and there is no need for me to seek medical treatment for my deafness. In broader terms, there is no "one" answer for everyone when it comes to treatments for people with hearing loss or deafness. You really should do a much more in-depth research in the areas of treatment possibilities for people with deafness or hearing loss.

Why is deafness called a "disorder?" I don't consider it to be a disorder, and I am sure some of us don't. I call myself Deaf with capital D.

:gpost:

Depends on what you mean. There are hearing aids and CIs, but exept in some unusual cases, it's rare that surgery/treatment for a cure can be performed.
Varies tremendously.....I have never liked the term hearing impaired b/c it sounds so negative. I like the term deaf or hard of hearing. Hearing impaired makes it sound like we're broken....

I hate hard-of-hearing and hearing impaired. I either say partially deaf or deaf.

Rose Immortal said:
Someone asked what SEE stands for...thought I read somewhere it's "Signed Exact English".

I asked what that was.. is that right? Signed Exact English? hmm.. that doesn't sound familiar but you could be right.. :dunno:

Bree, I usually say deaf too!!!!!! It may be inaccuate, but if oral deaf folks can label switch, then we hoh folks should be able to label switch too!

That's something I can't necessarily describe... I'm not entirely deaf, but I'm not hearing either. But I can say given my position there's no way to describe it because I've been experiencing this my entire life. How can I compare what it is like to be hard of hearing to what it is like to be hearing, or to be deaf? I can't, as I've never been deaf and I've also never been hearing. I can't imagine what deaf people experience every day with regards to not hearing (and never will unless I become deaf, which doesn't seem likely to happen soon), but I also can't imagine what hearing people hear that I don't because I simply cannot fathom it. I know hearing people hear a lot of things that I don't, and I know I hear a lot of things that deaf people don't... So I have an experience which does not directly correlate to being hearing or being deaf.

I don't know what it's like to be deaf. I don't know what it's like to be hearing. So with nothing to compare to, I can't describe what it's like.

I don't know or care what people think when they see me. I do wonder if I'm perceived by hearing people to be deaf or deaf people to be hearing, but it doesn't really bother me either way.

Um... Hearing aids? Cochlear implants? It's a waste of my time trying to explain the details. Google it.

I don't see it as a 'disorder'... But I ID myself as 'hard of hearing'. The term 'deaf' has been applied to me by others, but it's not a word I apply to myself in terms of biology. I don't ID myself as Deaf in the cultural sense either... But eh, I'd like to believe I'm much more comfortable with Deaf culture than the average hearing person.

Needless to say, I'd much prefer being called 'deaf' than 'hearing impaired'. Something about the term 'hearing impaired' rubs me the wrong way.

Back