Survey for all hearing impaired

cammomile

Reaction score
I just wondering, how high is the limit of hearing rate that enable us to use the telephone? Or is it a random depend on our hearing practicing or hearing habit?

Would you please participate in this survey to those who wear hearing aids and cochlear implant, thank you!

1. What do you wear? Hearing aids? or cochlear implants? both ears or just one?
2. Your hearing rate is .... db in left ear and .... db in right ear
3. Can you have a conversation on the telephone?

My own answer is :
1. I wear a pair of Widex Senso Vita S38
2. 98db in both ears
3. No I can't. I am a fully lip reader

I have hearing aids, but don't wear them, especially not for the phone because they do zero good. Both ears are bad- one at a severe loss, the other profound (really not sure what the specific db would be) and I haven't been able to converse on a phone in nearly 8 years. HOWEVER, I can have really basic, minor convos w/ my husband on the phone, but I believe it is for the same reasons I can understand his voice more than others, because I listen to him more than others and have adapted to his vocals. Though, the chances of me absolutely know what he's saying all the time on the phone is completely slim- the convo ends up being me asking the questions and expecting one or two types of answers, which I wait for. Otherwise, I need to see the lips myself.

Wears HAs in both ears.
Not sure what db I have in each ears but my loss is severe-profound.
Can't carry a convo on the phone at all. When I use the phone to call manager at work for assistance, she'll hear silence emanating from phone and then look over at me to see if it was me who called.

I wear hearing aids called Phonak PowerMaxx 411
no idea because I dont know how to get db from my recent audiogram. But my both ears are closer to profound.
no, I cannot have a conversation on a phone because I cannot hear well on the phone. so my communication skill is sign language/Lip reader/ and little bit of listening

One single hearing aid in the right ear. A digital Unitron 360e. Best hearing aid I've ever had.

Left ear- Completely deaf, so no hearing aid there.
Right ear - 50 - 70 dB and below.

Been this way since I was 3 - 4 years old (I'm 30 now).

Yes. Very easily with my right ear. In fact, most people would not be able to tell that I'm hoh to this degree unless I said anything.

My 4 YO daughter holds telephone conversations every day wearing 2 CIs, but I find that they can get pretty disjointed unless we guide her back on topic once in a while. I notice that she can maintain pretty well with her grandmother, who is comfortable repeating and following / encouraging her train of thought. Li-Li tends to chatter on for a good minute or two without letting the other person respond, so it can be hard to get in a word edgewise.

We always forget to switch her programs to t-coil to pick up the sound more effectively, and she tends to point the phone at whatever she's discussing, eg, the dog, the cat, the flower, as if transmitting the picture, sometimes actually taking a picture with the iphone -- so then she can't hear what the other person is saying when the phone is facing the other way or far from her head. Also, she holds phones to her ear, but her processors are on top of her head (we attach the BTEs up on her ponytail bands, not on her ears. So, putting the phone on speaker usually makes a huge difference.

2 CIs (Nucleus Freedoms), profoundly deaf from birth, yes (can hold tel. & cell phone conversations).

yes, My sister can carry a conversation on a phone well with her family with her hearing aids (she have the same deaf level as me) . But she had to quit her job because she couldn't communicate with her clients on the phone. In my hearing aid days before I had CI, I could communicate with few people, like my aunt. I tried talking to one of old hearing (ex)bf back in my high school days on the phone, but couldn't make out a single word he said. So I avoided talking to him on the phone. Actually, I've talked to all my exbf on the phone, including my husband when we were dating. It was the only way to make plans to meet - thankfully they were clear enough for me to understand (I didn't always understand them, though. They could call me horrible names, and I would probably would not pick it up). But I was able to understand them in person in begin with. I guess that's how I choose my man. The one which I couldn't understand, I couldn't understand him in person either. My friend pressured me to go out with him because he really, really like me.

Using the phone isn't easy, and I hate phone with a passion.

After CI, my phone skills improve just a little bit compare to my hearing aids, but I still struggle with it.

I just wondering, how high is the limit of hearing rate that enable us to use the telephone? Or is it a random depend on our hearing practicing or hearing habit?

Would you please participate in this survey to those who wear hearing aids and cochlear implant, thank you!

My own answer is :
1. I wear a pair of Widex Senso Vita S38
2. 98db in both ears
3. No I can't. I am a fully lip reader

Cochlear freedom right ear, HA (unitron BE55)
Right 95 sloping down, no high freq recorded, aided to 30 across all frequencies with CI. Left, 120 sloping down, no High freq recorded, aided to 30db just at 250hz with HA.
Nope, Never had decent hearing all my life for phone conversation, Now with both CI and HA I just could make out what my mother had said. But it's a long progress for me since i had no auditory memory for 30 years (since birth prior to CI)

it depends

1. I wear BTE's in both ears.

2. I have (a) "functional moderate bilateral HL." (My hearing/ability to use what hearing I have changes depending on the situation.) Sometimes, I might be able to hear "pretty good" in a small, quiet room. Especially with a male (lower voice) who speaks slowly and clearly. On the others hand, "auditory hell" might be a NOISY room (lots of noise, reverberation, etc) and trying to understand a female with a very high voice who talks really fast. Although I have trouble with males who talk very quickly, also.

3. SOMETIMES I can understand people that I KNOW WELL on the phone (for SHORT conversations). But, in general, I do NOT "rely on" a phone for communication. I use "voice" when I absolutely have to. I have a Nokia "Twist" (M4/T4 HAC) that I also can text on and get some e-mail and internet. My audi told me using the "direct connect" option on my HAs might make it better. I just haven't bothered to look into that. Don't have a TTY that connects with my TWIST, either. Can't figure out how yo make relay calls on my computer. Do I HAVE TO have a "land line?" I just don't like it when places INSIST that I call them "voice." Even places that KNOW I am Deaf/HOH (or hearing impaired, if they insist) will STILL want me to CALL them. :laugh2:

Back