Survey: Does the media give an accurate portrayal of Deaf Culture?

monday

Reaction score
I'm working on a research paper for my Deaf Culture class in regards to whether or not the media gives an accurate portrayal of Deaf Culture. If you would like, you can copy and paste into a message and send to me. Thanks!

First name and initial of last name ex: John S. (If you want it to be used, otherwise, if quoted, you will be named as Anonymous):

Gender (M/F):

Deaf, HOH, or Hearing?:

If Deaf/HOH, School background (Residential, Day School, Sign Language, Oral, Mainstream, Home School etc) list all that apply:

If Hearing, School background information (Public, Private, Boarding, Home school etc) list all that apply:

Are you a CODA, SODA or Parent of Deaf Child?:

Do you use ASL, speech, both or other form of communication?:

Are you an ASL Studies or Interpreting student?:

How involved are you with your local Deaf Community? (Not at all, Occasionally, Some, Most of the time, Always):

Have you ever seen the movies "Children of a Lesser God" or "Bridge to Silence" starring Marlee Matlin? If yes, how do you feel she portrayed a Deaf adult woman? Do you think it was an accurate portrayal? Please explain:

Have you ever watched the ABC Family television program "Switched at Birth" starring Sean Berdy, Katie LeClerc and Marlee Matlin? If yes, do you believe that the show, as a whole, displays an accurate representation of typical issues faced within the Deaf community (such as: job discrimination, Deaf and hearing culture clashes, ignorance of people outside of the Deaf community, romantic and platonic relationships between Deaf and hearing people and the issues that can arise from it, etc) please explain:

Have you seen the video of Deaf Rapper Sean Forbes' latest single "Def Deaf Girls"? (Sean Forbes "Def Deaf Girls" OFFICIAL VIDEO - YouTube) Do you think Sean is creating an accurate representation of Deaf women? Please explain:

How do you feel about the National Association of the Deaf's Position Statement on Portrayal of Deaf and Hard of Hearing People in Television, Film, and Theater (www.nad.org/issues/media)? Please explain:

How do you feel about Deaf Australia, Inc.'s Guidelines for the Portrayal of Deaf People in the Media (www.deafau.org.au/info/policy_media.php)? Please explain:

Please take the time to watch the following videos titled "My Deaf Family" and give a response indicating how they make you feel as to the accuracy of representation of the average Deaf Family. (My Deaf Family "Pilot" - YouTube

Is there anything else you'd like to add as far as how you feel Deaf people/Community is portrayed in the media? Any articles or videos that you feel need to be shared? If so, please explain.:

Thanks!

I can't think of any examples of where the media (TV & Movies) accurately portrays any group of people. Those mediums thrive on generalization and funny redundant stereotypes.

Is it included paying us for answerng your survery since your questions are pretty a lot. if so, how much is it? :ugh3:

Hi, I'm deaf and I've some questions.

1. Do you know if there are a lot of deaf people that drive cars with turbocharged engine in the state of KS?

2. In the city of Overland Park, KS, what is the ratio of cars with turbocharged engine as opposed to those that are not turbocharged on the road?

3. Does state of Kansas have ASL classes to teach deaf dogs, deaf cats and maybe even deaf ferrets the finer print of ASL?

4. Any ideas of how to explain to a deaf person how a turbocharged VW Beetle sounds as opposed to a Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo?

5. Why is it all about media? We're our own individuals.

6. Do you think that us deaf people should get all those junk cars that are sitting in yards, buy them and then turbocharge them? Then when done, show off to as many people as possible?

7. Are female dalmations more likely to become deaf than male dalmations?

In answer to your question on the topic, no.

bert-driveby.gif

I've seen all the deaf movies, many which were well acted but they were trying to sell a story. As a Sicilian American, I haven't even seen an honest portrayal of Italian families, or a film in this country that realistically portrayed Chinese...so I think media is heavily slanted to stereotypes and generalizations.

Laura

I've seen all the deaf movies, many which were well acted but they were trying to sell a story. As a Sicilian American, I haven't even seen an honest portrayal of Italian families, or a film in this country that realistically portrayed Chinese...so I think media is heavily slanted to stereotypes and generalizations.

Laura

It was the same for Indian movies, too, as there were white people dressed up as Indians and giving us a bad names back in the old days. Now we have some real Native movies which we tried to clear up with misunderstanding from the white point of view. This is our Native perspective in the true sense of the historical point of view. I hope I make sense of what I am trying to say. :(

it true bebong i think the person being portrayed should be that etnic group or deaf wheel chair etc

It was the same for Indian movies, too, as there were white people dressed up as Indians and giving us a bad names back in the old days. Now we have some real Native movies which we tried to clear up with misunderstanding from the white point of view. This is our Native perspective in the true sense of the historical point of view. I hope I make sense of what I am trying to say. :(

Not to stray off the main topic, but do you have any that you recommend? I'd love to watch some. :)

Not to stray off the main topic, but do you have any that you recommend? I'd love to watch some. :)

I loved Dances with Wolves. Very well written and directed and authentic Sioux language was used as taught by one of the Native American extras on the set.

Laura

it true bebong i think the person being portrayed should be that etnic group or deaf wheel chair etc

I want that to include stuff like Rene Zellweger playing Bridget Jones or Hugh Laurie as House... what, you couldn't find any British/American actors respectively for those roles?

Someone from the correct origin for their character would be able to spot inaccuracies in the script.

not even fucking close enough, none of it. nor even 'four weddings and a funeral"...

I want that to include stuff like Rene Zellweger playing Bridget Jones or Hugh Laurie as House... what, you couldn't find any British/American actors respectively for those roles?

Someone from the correct origin for their character would be able to spot inaccuracies in the script.

British/American actors playing roles is nothing new. They've done that forever. Italian American actors rarely play themselves: they use Latinos or Irish for those roles. Then when we finally see Italian American roles, they're typically mafia stereotypes. American actors don't always do such a great job portraying other Americans: Good Will Hunting, The Fighter, Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, The Town, The Perfect Storm, etc. Bostonians are made to look like ignorant, working class, Baboons that can barely get out an intelligent sentence without sounding like uneducated trash. Did I mention that they can't get the accent down right without over doing it, even among those few supposedly from the area? You can't look to movies ever for realistic portrayals - that's why there are documentaries.

Laura

Last edited:
That sort of thing, for me, destroys the illusion of it being a 'real' story that I can believe (aka suspension of disbelief) because I'm too busy noticing the performance/accent.

i wonder why they no picked english girl for bridget jones and why hugh laurie as bad temper american dr...it do seem unfair and wrong.....
it been my passion for long time to get people with disabilty to be regulars in soap opers but long way to go in uk

it been my passion for long time to get people with disabilty to be regulars in soap opers but long way to go in uk

I found the UK soap operas to be very heavy handed in presenting the 'societal issues' they wanted to cover, especially at the end when they said 'if you think you or someone you know has been affected by issues like the ones in tonights episode, please call the number on your screen or go to this website'.

Back