Surprise from Applebee's Server

DeafRaptor

Reaction score
My sister and I went to Applebees at 127 East Broad Street in Falls Church, VA yesterday for a late-night dinner. We had my service dog and my sister's service dog-in-training and we were prepared to write down our orders to give to the server. We felt prepared for anything.

When the server, Kacie S, saw us bring out a small notepad and pencil, she acted surprised like she had thought of something. To OUR surprise :shock:, (it was a nice surprise :D) she then started to sign to us, albiet somewhat awkwardly as if she was unsure of herself. She explained that she had taken two years of ASL. I don't mind or care that she wasn't fluent, but she definitely helped open the doors to communication and everything went smoothly from there. Overall, the food was great and the service was EXCELLENT! Definitely going to go to that Applebees more and look for her in the future.

I had an applebees server in CO who signed too!!! isn't it great when you can have a nice meal without having to worry about those things?

My sister and I went to Applebees at 127 East Broad Street in Falls Church, VA yesterday for a late-night dinner. We had my service dog and my sister's service dog-in-training and we were prepared to write down our orders to give to the server. We felt prepared for anything.

When the server, Kacie S, saw us bring out a small notepad and pencil, she acted surprised like she had thought of something. To OUR surprise :shock:, (it was a nice surprise :D) she then started to sign to us, albiet somewhat awkwardly as if she was unsure of herself. She explained that she had taken two years of ASL. I don't mind or care that she wasn't fluent, but she definitely helped open the doors to communication and everything went smoothly from there. Overall, the food was great and the service was EXCELLENT! Definitely going to go to that Applebees more and look for her in the future.

I hope you gave her a big tip. :)

I love reading posts like these. They just make my day! :)

It is a proven fact...if you want respect, FIRST, you must give respect; and I fail to see a more wonderful way to show someone respect that to speak in THEIR language, instead of making them speak in yours.

That is just absolutely awesome!!!!!! I wish more hearing people were that way.:D

By the way Deaf Raptor, on what I wrote above about showing respect, THAT is why I learned Sign & why I continue to do my best to be a friend to all deaf and/or disabled people.

When I first saw a deaf couple in a restaurant, I had no idea what they were saying, but how they were communicating intrigued me & caused me to want to learn more about them...then I met a deaf Lady, fell head over heels for her, & within 6 months I was able to talk to most all the deaf I would meet. Eventually we parted ways, but she has always been my inspiration for learning sign & learning about the deaf.

She is an amazing woman & has more talent than I could ever dream of having. She has been in movies(Children of a lesser God), a crime show a few years back, and has performed on Broadway from what I have heard. I know that she's happy, so that's all that really matters.

Last edited:
:aw: It's great that you were so inspired. (I think I can guess who you are referring to and yeah she can be very inspiring.) Glad to have you with us, here at AllDeaf.com.

I'm in the D.C. area. This happens to me once or twice a year. It's always a nice surprise.

Back