Surprise Dad !

Hey Mike, did your daughter go to Pharmacy Technician school? In most states, if not all, it requires you to be licensed. In my state, school is about 2 years and then you have to put in many hours working as an intern. To work in a hospital, mixing IV's extra you have to be certified which takes even longer. Unfortunately even after all that Pharmacy Technician pay ranges between $10-$18 an hour.

Couldn't resist looking up Missouri where Mike & his family are. I found this from a site that is not a school.
Missouri requires a high school education for pharmacy technicians working in the state. The candidate may have a GED as well as a high school diploma to apply for registration with the Missouri Board of Pharmacy. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, pharmacy technicians who have completed a pharmacy technician training program enhance their opportunities.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_7756460_missouri-state-requirements-pharmacy-tech.html
To work as a pharmacy technician in the state of Missouri all applicants must have at least a high school diploma or GED. Missouri does not require a formal education for pharmacy technicians; however, the U.S. Department of Labor states that completing a pharmacy technician training program may increase your chances of finding employment.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/list_6574031_requirements-pharmacy-technician-missouri.html
To work as a pharmacy technician in the state of Missouri all applicants must have at least a high school diploma or GED. Missouri does not require a formal education for pharmacy technicians; however, the U.S. Department of Labor states that completing a pharmacy technician training program may increase your chances of finding employment.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/list_6574031_requirements-pharmacy-technician-missouri.html

http://www.ehow.com/info_7756460_missouri-state-requirements-pharmacy-tech.html

I was curios too. A little shocked that no schooling is required. Here in CA it is illegal for a non licensed person to fill and dispense a medication. No Pharmacist would put their license in danger like that.

Here is what I found.....Must be licensed but certified not required.

Missouri Pharmacy Technician
This is a list of frequently asked questions about becoming a Pharmacy Technician in the state of Missouri. Remember, the requirements are different for each state, so if you are not living in Missouri this information won’t do you any good. Residents of Missouri will be able to find most of the information needed to determine the best route to take on their pharmaceutical career.

Do I need any certification to become a Pharmacy Technician in Missouri?

No, Missouri does not require any certification for individuals to become employed as a Pharmacy Technician. Keep in mind that certified technicians are going to be open to a lot more benefits than non-certified, so you may want to consider pursuing a certification prior to seeking employment.

Being certified will not only speed up the process of finding a job, but it is factual that pharmacy technicians who have a certification earn more than those who don’t have certifications. Also, for those who choose to skip getting certified, whatever job they end up is probably the end of the road for this career for them. Getting certified will help you make a long, successful career out of the Pharmaceutical field.

Which Pharmacy Technician certifications are approved in Missouri?

The PTCB is state board approved in Missouri.

Am I required to have a license to become a Pharmacy Technician in Missouri?

Yes, all pharmacy technicians in the state of Missouri must be licensed.

What is the contact information for the Missouri State Board?

3605 Missouri Boulevard Jefferson City, MO 65109. (573) 751-0091

How do I become licensed as a Pharmacy Technician in Missouri?

You’ll need to meet all of the state designated requirements for licensed technicians, and then fill out a written application to be submitted to the state board.

What are the requirements to apply for a license as a Pharmacy Technician in Missouri?

- Consent to and complete a finger print check and criminal background check

- Include an official ID photo

- Include minimum of $35 for an application fee, you may need to include more depending on the background check cost

Does my Pharmacy Technician license ever expire in the state of Missouri?

No. The state of Missouri is one of the very few states that do not require renewal of Pharmacy Technician licenses.

Is there any training required to become a Pharmacy Technician in Missouri?

There is no prior training required to become employed or licensed in Missouri, once you’ve received your license you’re free to start seeking employment. Most pharmacists will give you a few days to weeks of on the job training under close supervision to make sure you’re up for the job.

Well, My daughter contacted me today. She has an interview to be a Pharmacy Tech. She is looking to get out of the Vet field since it has been so depressing for her lately with all the people bringing their pets in to be put down for no reasons other than they cant afford to feed them.
Besides they dont pay but Min. Wage, she is looking to move up in the world with a better paying career and advance within and get some more schooling under her belt as well. They are setting their wedding date for May.

That is so sad about the pets being killed b/c people can't afford to fed them. There is no needs for that , some animals shelters give out free pet food to people that can't afford to feed their pets. I don't blame her for feeling this way . :(

I dont think she will be making the meds, yet, I think she will just be entering data and working the counters... just entry level stuff.

I have gotten to thinking that she may start with what she has and study toward certification on a part time basis while working. Also will any of the courses that she has taken for the Vet Tech job transfer toward the Pharmacy Tech. certification with the certification helping her get better pay than she starts at?

I have gotten to thinking that she may start with what she has and study toward certification on a part time basis while working. Also will any of the courses that she has taken for the Vet Tech job transfer toward the Pharmacy Tech. certification with the certification helping her get better pay than she starts at?
Im not sure, but I do know that some meds are the same for animals, so she has some knowledge of meds from vet school, It falls under the medical fields so not sure about transfers and all that, she will find out as she wants to stay in the health field just not staying in the vet field as there is no money there. She was promised 3 years ago if she took this position the pay would increase accordingly so she left a bad job with higher pay to a better job with a lower pay and they still havent given her a raise or stuck to their word, yet they hire receptionists at a higher pay to sit on their asses all day and basically do nothing and they wont let her take the position as a receptionist either ( because she is so good at what she does) well, they are losing her too by the treatment they give her. She works 12 hour days, weekends and fills in for those who dont show on her days off and the owner could care less. So she figures its a dead end job as 3 years have come and gone and she is still making the same lousy pay she started with... the jobs are a dime a dozen here, with high turnovers as well... just not the career she wants to be stuck in.

My daughter had her interview, she got hired full time with excellent pay, they will also be sending her to school (paid) to become a Certified Pharmacy Tech.
Currently going through the drug screen, finger printing and paperwork, then giving her Vet her 2 weeks notice.

Back