surgically exploring ear surgry!

oticongirl20

Reaction score
so i went to my ent doctor and he ordered a ct scan and ears look fine but he thinks he can fix my hearing loss he wants to surgically explore my ear and push on the hearing bones to see how wwelll they move and if not he will fix it with a prostetic bone im just lost like i dont know if it worth it all expecially not knowing if he can infact fix my hearing in one ear!

My Dr. is looking at doing this as well. Had a CT, and it was all normal, even though I had been told by my Bios that I was missing ear bones. See him again tomorrow for an ABR. Hopefully he decides what we'll do tomorrow.

so i went to my ent doctor and he ordered a ct scan and ears look fine but he thinks he can fix my hearing loss he wants to surgically explore my ear and push on the hearing bones to see how wwelll they move and if not he will fix it with a prostetic bone im just lost like i dont know if it worth it all expecially not knowing if he can infact fix my hearing in one ear!

Do you have otosclerosis? Is he talking about a stapedectomy?

My mom had one last year. My hearing is too far gone for it to help. Maybe if I had had it done 5 years ago, but I haven't had insurance in forever.

how was your moms ? im just so not sure about this because he could go in and nothing would be wrong and it will all be for nothing and they have to pack my ear for a month ill have to use ear drops daily so the packing will slowley disolve.

hmm hers worked great. But really I don't know like anything about your hearing history or why you have hearing loss so I have know idea what he is going to do. I can certainly understand your worries.

You're a teenager right? Have you had hearing loss since birth, or did it start kind of recently? Are there other members in your family with hearing loss? Has anyone ever suspected otosclerosis before?

when i was 12 they discovered i had a hole in my ear drum from tubes one didnt close up when they fell out so i had surgery to repair that and my hearing has just gotten worse since then i have hearing loss in both ears moderate to severe sloping to severe to profound got my first set on hearing aids 2 yrs ago then had to get more powerful ones this past january, and nope no one ever suspeceted untill i saw a diffrent ent doctor. im the only one in my family with hearing loss.

when i was 12 they discovered i had a hole in my ear drum from tubes one didnt close up when they fell out so i had surgery to repair that and my hearing has just gotten worse since then i have hearing loss in both ears moderate to severe sloping to severe to profound got my first set on hearing aids 2 yrs ago then had to get more powerful ones this past january, and nope no one ever suspeceted untill i saw a diffrent ent doctor. im the only one in my family with hearing loss.

If you're late deafened, then yes go for the surgery. You were a hearing person, for 12 years so if you get more hearing from the surgery it will help!

Well, the stapedectomy maybe has other uses other than just for otosclerosis? If there's no one, like no aunts granparents cousins even you probably don't have otosclerosis, it's hereditary. You're a little young for it too, though it can happen, usually hits in the 30's, mine started when I was 19/20ish, and even that is kind of odd. I started losing my hearing before my mother. My sister, a year younger than me, just started showing very early signs of it, when she was like 34ish??

But anyway, if he thinks there's something he can do to help, it might be really worth it!! :D A month isn't very long, of course i can say that because I'm 37 and time just flies faster and faster every year ;)

ohh really i didnt know it was heraditory he didnt mention that and the doctor knows im the only one with hearing loss in my family. ill be 21 in december i think i should go to a different Ent for a 2nd opinion before i have the surgery sep 24th.

Back