Surgery this Thursday!

Sunryze

Reaction score
Sorry I haven't posted for awhile but just wanted to let you guys know that my surgery is on Thursday! My doc had a cancellation so they called yesterday and asked if I could do it Thursday. Such short notice!

I'm very nervous, please wish me luck!

Wow, that's great! :) Here's wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and smooth recovery!

Out of curiosity, what CI brand did you choose?

Wow, that's great! :) Here's wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and smooth recovery!

Out of curiosity, what CI brand did you choose?

I chose Cochlear, it was a little bit smaller and it had more options.
I'm scrambling to get my nerve up, they didn't give me much time to get used to the idea!

Thank you for the nice words and good wishes!

Oooh thats exciting!! it will be a breeze, you will be fine and welcome to the Cochlear club!

Good Luck! Have a speedy recovery..i dunno if u will feel up to it but i always get ice cream after i have surgery..always makes me feel better:) lol ...ben 'n' jerry's :D

Good luck, and wishing you a speedy recovery and adjustment period.

Good Luck! Have a speedy recovery..i dunno if u will feel up to it but i always get ice cream after i have surgery..always makes me feel better:) lol ...ben 'n' jerry's :D

Good suggestion, Alicia! (I did the same thing after my CI surgeries. :))

Here are some other tips you might find helpful:

Do your grocery shopping *before* your surgery so that you have food in the fridge when you come home.

Fill your prescription for pain medication before your surgery date. That way you'll already have the medication when you get home.

After your surgery, you may not feel like cooking. Have a friend or relative prepare meals or purchase simple microwave meals, TV dinners, canned soup, macaroni and cheese or pudding. You might also want to buy popsicles so you have something delicious to help soothe a sore throat (NOTE: Some people wake up with a sore throat due to the breathing tube).

Hope these suggestions help! :)

Good luck with the surgery and I am thinking about you. I am sure all will go well. Especially with the Cochlear as my surgeon says it is less invasive than some of the others. That is what I am getting and my surgery is in 24 days.

Thanx for the luck everyone, I'm nervous as hell! But I have a lot of faith in my doctor.
Pre-op went great and I'm all stocked up and ready to go, I'm scheduled for tomorrow at 9am.

And Ealton, good luck to you! 24 days is right around the corner.

But you have to be excited as well! Think of the future of sound for you.
And having faith in your doctor is half the battle..the rest comes easy knowing he is doing all the work. Just remember to get some rest..

Thanx for the luck everyone, I'm nervous as hell! But I have a lot of faith in my doctor.
Pre-op went great and I'm all stocked up and ready to go, I'm scheduled for tomorrow at 9am.

And Ealton, good luck to you! 24 days is right around the corner.

Being nervous about the surgery is completely normal. I felt the same way (especially the night before surgery), but I overcame the nervousness by thinking about all of the different ways my life would change. Etalton is right about you having so much to look forward to. Again, I wish you all the best and am looking forward to following your CI journey! :)

Just an update, the surgery went well but I'm hurting. Also some ringing in that ear and I'm very nauseous. The surgery lasted about 2 1/2 hours and I was home by 3. I did not expect to have this much pain but hopefully it will be better by tomorrow. My doc gave me tylenol 3 and everytime I take it I get sick, so maybe that's why the pain is worse than I expected.

thank you all for the luck!

Just an update, the surgery went well but I'm hurting. Also some ringing in that ear and I'm very nauseous. The surgery lasted about 2 1/2 hours and I was home by 3. I did not expect to have this much pain but hopefully it will be better by tomorrow. My doc gave me tylenol 3 and everytime I take it I get sick, so maybe that's why the pain is worse than I expected.

thank you all for the luck!

I'm glad your surgery went well, but am sorry you're in so much pain. :( Did your CI surgeon give you any pain medication (such as Vicodin)? If not, I would recommend that you contact him/her for a prescription. Once you take the pain medication, you'll feel considerably better.

I agree with Hear Again. I took oxycodin. You really will need it. The ringing for me got worst, but disappeared after activation. Just rest and remember it seems that day 3 is the worst by far.

he gave me tylenol 3, it has coedine but it makes me nauseous and sick. Why is day 3 much worse?

he gave me tylenol 3, it has coedine but it makes me nauseous and sick. Why is day 3 much worse?

I strongly recommend that you contact your CI surgeon for pain medication. I'd also let him/her know the Tylenol 3 he/she gave you is making you sick.

As for your second question, sometimes people are suddenly hit with aches, pains, nausea, dizziness, etc. on the third day following surgery. It's almost like a "shock" to the body when everything catches up with you. This wasn't the case for me during my first surgery, but it was for my second. On the third day following my second surgery, my entire body felt as if it had been run over by a truck. I also had a very stiff neck as well as a migraine.

You really need a pain killer like Vicodin or Norco for a few days, otherwise it does really hurt. The meds can make you very drowsy too, but it is a good temporary relief. Day three is painful as you will probably see inflammation around the ears - nothing to be scared of, its normal. But I wont forget, I had a hard time sleeping and lying on the bed. I chose a recliner instead for comfort. So just take care and relax at home comfortably!

I am sorry the pain is so bad. As for the ringing, it will pass I am sure but you can get used to it over time.
As the others have said, in different ways, get some "good" drugs (joke) to take the pain away. And try to rest as much as possible. Don't overdue when you first start to feel better. Take it easy and let your body catch up, regroup, and start it's recovery.

Back