Surgery Day

etalton

Reaction score
Well, the time has come and gone. Went in to surgery at 8 this morning and I am now home resting. I feel a lot better than I thought I would. Lucky again, I guess. No dizzies, very little nausea and more discomfort than pain. Only used one pain pill so far. The only thing that has really bothered me was the sense of being on dry land with sea legs. Anyone else have that weak in the legs feeling? Is it common after surgery?
Not sure if I will be doing a blog, but I will at least keep you all posted.

Etalton,

Good deal! It sounds like you had a smooth recovery! :)

I also felt weak in the legs, but only after my second CI surgery. To help with this, I used a walker so I wouldn't fall or accidentally trip over anything.

When did your surgeon say you could remove your bandage?

By the way, I noticed in your signature that you don't have an activation date as of yet. Will your surgeon/audi schedule your activation after your pre-op appointment?

I was told I could remove my bandage and shower on Sunday. I have to make an appointment for later next week, and yes, that is when I should be told my activation date.
I do have a four footed cane, but have not needed it as I live with wall to wall furniture and there is something to grab wherever I go. :giggle:
The one interesting thing is that the surgery took longer than expected. My surgeon had to drill two holes. He thinks when I was very young I ran a high fever which broke before causing me to become deaf. However, it left bone deposits in the hollow part of the ear that the implant is threaded through. So, the first drilling found bone, not hollow. They had to stop the surgery and take a x-ray to find where the hollow part was a re drill. Had he not been able to find a spot, they would have had to cancel the surgery and send me to a different hospital. One that has the equipment to drill out the bone, or so my hubby has told me. I didn't find this out until we were driving home. I will have the doctor tell me it all when I see him.

Hi, glad your surgery is over and you don't feel too bad:)

Thank you both for your caring words. One of the major reasons I love alldeaf.

Thats fantastic!, I did wonder about you Yesterday (I am in UK and about 6-8 hours ahead of you)
I never experinced sickness, dizziness etc too. As a avid sailor i definely didn't experince sea legs either. So i Guess we are lucky ones. I stopped pain killers when i got home (in UK they give us anti inflam, anti bios, and pain killers) as i wasn't in pain at all just discomfort.

I wasn't told my activcation date until 2 weeks after the op.

Do set up blog! Would be good for getting advices or reading other people's experinces.

Have a good rest.

Thanks Charlotte, I will think about it. I don't plan on taking any more of the pain pills or the nausea pills after today. I think most of my "pain" comes from the pressure bandage than anything. Woke me out of a sound sleep cutting into the back of my other ear which is why I am now up at 4 in the morning.
Did anyone ever report a nose bleed during surgery? I am not sure that I did, but when I blew my nose this morning, there was the tell tale sign that I had had one, or at least broken a capillary or two. Oh, and no sore throat at all either, but my jaw hurts and it doesn't want to open up all the way. Odd, that, but I suppose it is from the drilling?

Etalton,

I know someone who had CI surgery and had the same problem as you with being able to open up her jaw all the way to chew. To be honest, I'm not sure what this is caused by or why it happens, but it's not uncommon. Neither are nosebleeds. I believe nosebleeds are caused by broken capilaries as you mentioned. I had a nosebleed after my second surgery for a few days, but it went away on its own within a week.

By the way, I'm also up at 4:00 in the morning because I can't sleep. I'm a little nervous about the Statistics class I'm taking and my nervousness is wreaking havoc on my ability to sleep. I have some Trazodone here to help me fall asleep (for when I'm manic -- I'm bipolar), but I just don't feel like taking any. Today is Saturday anyways, so I can catch up on my sleep by taking a short cat nap later this afternoon.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't really worried, just curious to see if it was normal or just me being me.:)
As for being awake, I don't really mind as if it was a normal day, I would be at work already. But, like you, I would be napping once I got off at 2 this afternoon, and sleeping late tomorrow.
I don't have any sleep aids at the house, except the pain meds, so not an option anyway. Good thing I have lots of tv recorded/dvr'd to catch up on.
Good luck in class and I am sure you will do just fine!

etalton thats great news, glad it went well.
i didn't get weak legs, but i had balance problems for a day, but i was back up walking 4 hours after op, zig ziagging down the ward:lol:
i didnt take any painkillers after the op, or anti biotics, but was told not to get the wound wet for a month after op.

funny overthepond, a friend told me he got antibiotics down there too after his op, but they don't give us any in scotland, guess we heal better:lol:
i have only been switched on for 2 months, gettign better all the time, had a mapping done yesterday, next appointment in dec the 5th for mapping and then one with monotone man:lol:im sure ye know who I mean

overthepond, I had a quick look at your blog, one thing puzzles me, we have the same implant, same colour as well, mines is only 2 inches behind the processor though, with the shortest cable, anyway whats the hook for with your ipod? i got a MP3 player for myself, and i get a wire for the mp3 that plugs staight in to the bottom of the processor? first time i've seen this hook. why not the cable that plugs straight in and you can control the volume on your ci as well as the ipod?

ET, I didn't or heard of anyone to have a nose bleed after the op, I guess there is ways of where they postion people for their operation, Mine was 4 hours long, my head was pushed to left side, I had tube down my throat hence VERY stiff neck on right side and Sore throat on right side of my throat (it disappeared 3 days post op) I also had slight bruising on my right nose/eye.

The anti bios and Anti Imflam was given as precautionry really.

hey etalton , glad to recover so quickly!

For a week after post op , couldn't feel taste on my food..so I went off from food and eating only chocolates that I slightly felt the taste...urgh!

Whole neck /implanted side of head felt sooo stiff..couldn't sleep properly , or open my jaw all the way..it was funny to see how tiny my mouth had gotten! lol! Had the nosebleed , but attributed it to my hay fever/allergies issues.Now u made me rethink that!

I wasn't feeling pain myself..just lot of pain from the other ear..it was ready to rip off..and it was the unimplanted side...as soon as the doc removed the bandage , I stopped painkillers!!

As for sea legs , I just didn't dare get up from bed the first two days ..later I was just going like usual!

After pressure bandage removal , I was given another lighter just to cover the wound really , and after that another even lighter ..what REALLY grossed me out was the feeling of stuffed up ear and the fact that I saw the doctor remove bloody wool he had stuffed down there!! eurgh! so I'm off earmolds or anything that fills my ear for good!

etalton thats great news, glad it went well.
i didn't get weak legs, but i had balance problems for a day, but i was back up walking 4 hours after op, zig ziagging down the ward:lol:
i didnt take any painkillers after the op, or anti biotics, but was told not to get the wound wet for a month after op.

That is how I thought I would be, but although I do reach for furniture, it is more to make me feel better than because I need it.

hey etalton , glad to recover so quickly!

For a week after post op , couldn't feel taste on my food..so I went off from food and eating only chocolates that I slightly felt the taste...urgh!

Whole neck /implanted side of head felt sooo stiff..couldn't sleep properly , or open my jaw all the way..it was funny to see how tiny my mouth had gotten! lol! Had the nosebleed , but attributed it to my hay fever/allergies issues.Now u made me rethink that!

I wasn't feeling pain myself..just lot of pain from the other ear..it was ready to rip off..and it was the unimplanted side...as soon as the doc removed the bandage , I stopped painkillers!!

As for sea legs , I just didn't dare get up from bed the first two days ..later I was just going like usual!

I understand about the food. Nothing has tasted right except Dove Dark chocolate, but I am forcing myself to eat. I think once the bandage is gone, I will feel more like myself, it is uncomfortable and they have it taped to my forehead which is driving me crazy.. I haven't been to bed, just this recliner, which has been great. I was worried about having more trouble getting in and out of bed, plus this just feels right for now...

Charlotte, that is why I come to this forum, because there is so much info to be found. You have these symptoms, someone else has those, but by asking, they all are normal so I don't have to worry. If not for the forum, I would probably be pestering people at the hospital or clinic, and they have patients to take care of.

Glad to hear your surgery went well and that you are recovering well!

Wow, you're lucky. I hope everythings going well with you and your CI! Let us know update! :D

Back