Surfing

Sweet_KJ

Reaction score
Hey,

I searched through all the pages of the Sports forum and haven't seen anything related to Surfing... ;)

So anyone here surfs? It seemed like the people I've been meeting in the last month all do surf!! It must be a sign!

I don't know how to surf, but I do bodyboard, and boogie board, so haven't exactly stood up on top of the waves.

It is too cold to surf right now :cold:

I do know boogieboard ("bodyboard" for those people who don't know surfer jargon) but I haven't boarded in the ocean for a while now because the water temperature is too cold and I always go wtih friends who are scared of going underwater so I cannot just abandon them and go into the water on my own. I am too nice ;)

My first memory of surfing was when I was... 4 or 3 years old, I was lying down on my dad's longboard (it is a surfboard, but bigger...!) I was in my little purple swimsuit and a baseball cap. I was holding onto the edges near the front while my dad was paddling and surfing on the longboard behind me. It was FUN to watch my dad surfing and me flying over the waves. Ah... what a sweet memory.

Yeah. That was my first surfing experience. I always surfed with my Dad on HIS board.. until I grew up too tall and had to get my own board but Dad was worried about me so I got a boogieboard instead. Around that time, My brother got injured while surfing. Another surfer was trying to "scare" him off from surfing -his- waves (There are zillion of beaches in San Diego and every surfer thinks s/he owns the waves *RME*) but he got too close and ended up hitting my brother's head with the surfboard.

Wow. I didn't realize I do have a lot of surfing stories :lol:
There is a time when... [blahblahblahblah]

interesting story Gnarlydorkette -- wish i knew how to surf LOL -- i grew up back east -- whenever im out west in CA (LA area visiting my aunt and her family there) and happens to be at the beaches where theres alot of surfers i would stop and watch them on the waves -- looks so hard to do!!! LOL i can imagine what a rush it is to be on the waves surfing!

there are times druing the winter time some surfers go surfing on lake superior near duluth, MN :eek: can u image how cold it is.

Huh? There's waves in the lake?

LOL probably not as good as the ones in CA (or the better ones in Hawaii and Australia).

Surfers are pretty terrorital, yup. I enjoy watching them, and I try to keep as far away from them as possible cuz surfboards are pointy in front. *ow*

Ahhhh, San Diego, nice town an hr and a half from me....go there several times a year.....

Hehe, KJ, I'm in Riverside, a city without a river nor a side! LOL and yourself?

haha I'm in between LA and Riverside and between the 210 and the 10.

Hah, sucks not being near the water, huh? at least we're near the mountains.

Yeah, KJ, I agree. Aside from the fact I was born and raised on a farm in Minnesota, that ice box to the north but have lived here for years now, I am still a country person at heart but ya gotta go where the work is, right? When I "circle my wagons", I hope to settle in a more temperate place like, say, Oregon somewhere. In the meantime ya can't beat where we live now cuz we are basically an hour or so to the beaches, the mountains, the desert, etc....we got it made in that sense, don't we , KJ?

Yup.... I'm a proud 4th generation native. and plan on moving closer to the beach real soon... looking forward to that.

Good for you, KJ....hope it all works out for you....sounds like you can uproot at will....job transferrability??

No... I'm actually still on the job hunt and somewhat looking near the ocean.. lol

Sweet_KJ said:
No... I'm actually still on the job hunt and somewhat looking near the ocean.. lol

You are so Lucky! I love the Ocean.. Would love to live by the Ocean or Work...

Sweet_KJ said:
Huh? There's waves in the lake?

LOL probably not as good as the ones in CA (or the better ones in Hawaii and Australia).

Surfers are pretty terrorital, yup. I enjoy watching them, and I try to keep as far away from them as possible cuz surfboards are pointy in front. *ow*
yeah there's waves on lake superior... enough to go surfing.. when the time's right.

remmy lake superior is huge.. when u're standing on beach.. you cannot see the land across.

lake superior waves are smaller than the ocean ofc.. but once a while the waves can reach 20 foot.. druing storm.

i have a picture and a website related to this.
http://www.lakesuperior.com/online/226/226surf.html

Attachments

• 226downwave.jpg
    226downwave.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 16
I've never surfed before. I wouldn't mind trying. If it's a bit similar to surfing, then great!

wow, those waves looks kinda cool in the lake. But I think ocean is better ;)

ofc ocean provided better waves because of those giant ships creating bows... and don't forget our weather!

San Diego doesn't have that great of waves but on a good day we would get 7 feet of waves. The last time I went to the beach, we had 6 feet waves and it freaked my friend out because she had a small phobia of oceans (water, she is fine but oceans.. endless supply of water)

So given to that accomdation, I am tad terrified to see 10-14 feet of waves in Hawaii... :shock: because once you get stuck in the barrel, you are in the world of pain.

oh yeah riptides aren't fun, and being under tons of water pressure isn't fun neither.

I've had several incidents where two or three big waves were going over me while I went under them, that was painful and of course I freaked out!

But it's not stopping me from loving the ocean :D

Back