Supporting deaf children in schools and teaching English as a second language to deaf

loml

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4rY4DKGsWY&feature=related]YouTube - Supporting deaf children in schools and teaching English as a second language to deaf teenagers[/ame]

This video is captioned.

An anecdotal report from a parent in France. Having problems finding support for CS a little closer to home?:giggle:

Am I the only person that thinks it highly odd that in a video glorifying CS (presumingly to hearing and especially Hoh/Deaf) the the person giving the "interview" ISN'T CUING ???

Am I the only person that thinks it highly odd that in a video glorifying CS (presumingly to hearing and especially Hoh/Deaf) the the person giving the "interview" ISN'T CUING ???

:) How many of us would be able to follow, if that were the case?

On the other hand, I've always thought it odd that some of the more impassioned video arguments for and discussions around raising children bilingual (ASL/English) -- presumably aimed at the parents of newly diagnosed deaf children (the vast majority are hearing) -- are conducted in ASL without captions. Leaves a bit of a gap between the message and the intended recipient, and serves to emphasize distance between languages.

I could see this interview conducted via cuing if the target audience was fluent in CS, but I think they are trying to reach hearing parents, and perhaps teachers, communicating with their deaf children, spreading the word to people not yet familiar with CS.

:) How many of us would be able to follow, if that were the case?

On the other hand, I've always thought it odd that some of the more impassioned video arguments for and discussions around raising children bilingual (ASL/English) -- presumably aimed at the parents of newly diagnosed deaf children (the vast majority are hearing) -- are conducted in ASL without captions. Leaves a bit of a gap between the message and the intended recipient, and serves to emphasize distance between languages.

I could see this interview conducted via cuing if the target audience was fluent in CS, but I think they are trying to reach hearing parents, and perhaps teachers, communicating with their deaf children, spreading the word to people not yet familiar with CS.

Exactly what I would have said too. I live in a very large deaf community (Minneapolis/St. Paul). I know hundreds of deaf people, and I don't know of a single one that uses/knows CS. Of course, it's possible some do know CS, but they can't use it at deaf gatherings if no one else knows it. I have never seen CS first-hand in all my 39 years.

I know most people wouldn't be able to follow it ...

I'm just thinking "If it's SO EASY & NATURAL" then shouldn't they speak and cue throughout the video as a way of showing that they just do it "naturally" , "easy to do while speaking" and it's "wayy easier than ASL" etc ???

I've only seen 2 cuers IRL ever ... in 32years a teen and her mom in the mall about 10years ago neither used their voice at all - *shrug* on how that helps with speech.

I know most people wouldn't be able to follow it ...

I'm just thinking "If it's SO EASY & NATURAL" then shouldn't they speak and cue throughout the video as a way of showing that they just do it "naturally" , "easy to do while speaking" and it's "wayy easier than ASL" etc ???

I've only seen 2 cuers IRL ever ... in 32years a teen and her mom in the mall about 10years ago neither used their voice at all - *shrug* on how that helps with speech.

I know of two families in my area that cue. They cue and speak all the time. All four of the kids are deaf and age appropriate and mainstreamed with transliteraters. They range in age from 15 to 7. I also know of an adult in my state that prefers cuing and listening with his CI's, though he knows ASL. (I linked his blog earlier)

I know of two families in my area that cue. They cue and speak all the time. All four of the kids are deaf and age appropriate and mainstreamed with transliteraters. They range in age from 15 to 7. I also know of an adult in my state that prefers cuing and listening with his CI's, though he knows ASL. (I linked his blog earlier)

What are you basing that assessment on?

faire joure, you're missing something. People are using Cued Speech as part of a full toolbox approach. Which is how it should be used. Heck, that's how MOST methodologies should be used ...as part of a full toolbox approach.

faire joure, you're missing something. People are using Cued Speech as part of a full toolbox approach. Which is how it should be used. Heck, that's how MOST methodologies should be used ...as part of a full toolbox approach.

Not the people I know. They cue with their speaking and use transliterators, not sign or anything else. I talked really indepth with one family about cuing and they said that their first instinct was to sign, but they were learning so slowly that their child was falling further and further behind, so they switched to cuing and it took them about 3 days to learn it, and a couple weeks to be really fluent. By the time their second child was born (also deaf) the whole family cued all the time and the second child learned to cue from birth and never had a language delay at all.

faire joure.....no.....the people you know don't just cue...they also SPEAK too...they just don't use ASL. AND, that could change as the kids get older.

faire joure.....no.....the people you know don't just cue...they also SPEAK too....

I thought Cued Speech was always cueing combined with speaking or forming words with the mouth, used as a clarifying tool for reading lips -- does it also stand alone as a means of communicating without speech?

Or DD, do you mean that the families FJ mention also just use spoken language, without Cueing?

Actually, their transliterators do NOT speak.

But a transliterator does silently mouth the words along with cueing. You are missing the point. CS is not used, and Dr. Cornett never intended it to be used, as a method of communication on its own.

Wirelessly posted

Isn't cued speech the combination of hand gestures and speech or mouth movements? I thought those who cue do use CS to communicate-- is it just a classroom tool and cue-ers either speak without gestures or sign ASL when not in a learning environment?

Wirelessly posted

Isn't cued speech the combination of hand gestures and speech or mouth movements? I thought those who cue do use CS to communicate-- is it just a classroom tool and cue-ers either speak without gestures or sign ASL when not in a learning environment?

I can't vouch for the question about whether it is just a classroom tool or not, but I can say that it is not used in a the deaf community as a communication tool. So I suppose ASL or speech do take over at this point. I can see how CS could get used at home if the parents know CS as well (it'd be like how I converse with my mom - she uses signs she and I learned 35+ years ago that are so outdated that no one uses anymore -- it is "our language" and we can understand one another, but I can't use those signs in the deaf community to communicate with others.) Same with CS. I know of not one single person who uses it. NONE.

Yes jillo. What we mean fair joure is that while there are a significent number of people who are Sign only or who speak only, NOBODY Cues only. They cue yes, so they can use it when and if its needed, but they ALSO use more common methodologies. Stop thinking that everyone's attacking anything that's not ASL.

Yes jillo. What we mean fair joure is that while there are a significent number of people who are Sign only or who speak only, NOBODY Cues only. They cue yes, so they can use it when and if its needed, but they ALSO use more common methodologies. Stop thinking that everyone's attacking anything that's not ASL.

You may not be doing that, but it is exactly what Jillio is doing. NOTHING but ASL, bi-bi is ok. SEE isn't, cuing isn't, oralism isn't, if it isn't ASL-written English with some oral "training", then it is unacceptable and the child will have long term psychological and linguistical issues.

(And seriously, everybody here knows that, it is not a secret)

You may not be doing that, but it is exactly what Jillio is doing. NOTHING but ASL, bi-bi is ok. SEE isn't, cuing isn't, oralism isn't, if it isn't ASL-written English with some oral "training", then it is unacceptable and the child will have long term psychological and linguistical issues.

Jillio doesnt care what method of communication adults use. She doesnt believe in using MCEs for language development in children.

That is no secret.

You are so very mistaken. No wonder you make no sense.

Back