Super Power BTE Hearing Aids

MachineGhost

Reaction score
I'm currently trialing a digital Resound Sparx in linear amplification mode. I'm well aware of the numerous issues between analog and digital aids, so that issue doesn't need to be rehashed all over again here. However, I haven't worn any hearing aids for 15-years and my loss is also worse, so I'm not sure I have a fine enough perception (yet?) to be perceiving any major differences between my 25-year old analog (Audiotone A61) aid and the Sparx's linear amp.

There's not that many BTE analog or digital super power hearing aids on the market (those that have a fitting range down to 120db), so I'm very interested in hearing about your experiences, what you've settled upon and most importantly, why.

MG

I was told by my last audi that the sparx is very basic, you would benefit much more from the naida

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Having made the mistake myself the first time - don't go with the basic HA ... Even if it means saving up a bit longer etc, make sure you try the upper line models in your fitting range and choose one with at least a few listening programs (noise, quiet, tcoil etc).

I figured for my first HA a basic Phonak would be fine ... And while it definately helps I would have been much better off to have got a better (features etc) HA.

don't go for a basic ha..learned that the hard way by getting the phonak UNA and then about a year later needed a new set because I couldn't benefit from them anymore

Though I could have gone with another brand with my hearing loss I chose the Phonak Naidas because they covered the max losses and I have progressive hearing loss so I wanted to get HAs that would still meet my needs in a few years. Luckily I was able to afford them.

A super power BTE hearing aid is an electro acoustic device which typically fits in or behind the wearer's ear, and is designed to amplify and modulate sound for the wearer. These hearing aid can be used for mild to profound hearing loss. Thanks!

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

MichellePasinat said:
A super power BTE hearing aid is an electro acoustic device which typically fits in or behind the wearer's ear, and is designed to amplify and modulate sound for the wearer. These hearing aid can be used for mild to profound hearing loss. Thanks!

Ummm we all know what BTEs and hearing aids are - this is a hoh/deaf message board (and many of us have or have had HAs)

Did you have a point other than to state what a hearing aid is?

Powerful BTE

Oticon has Sumo, an analog hearing aid that is programmable... It has 141 power and 82 gain... super duper power!

I'm trying to switch from wearing a body aid of the past 12 years to wearing a Phonak Naida S III UP. Prior to wearing the body aid I wore a analog BTE which is no longer strong enough. I've been wearing the phonak for 2 days and the problem I'm having is voices sound like I'm in a tunnel or somewhat of a nasal sound. My audi says it's something I need to get use to although I'm not sure I can get use to not being able to listen to the radio as well as with the body aid. Is there anything on the market that is stronger and clearer then the Phonak Naida S III UP? So far, I've only found the ReSound Sparx which is 1db higher in peak gain than phonak.

My loss is around 110db

All suggestions and comments are welcome.

I'm trying to switch from wearing a body aid of the past 12 years to wearing a Phonak Naida S III UP. Prior to wearing the body aid I wore a analog BTE which is no longer strong enough. I've been wearing the phonak for 2 days and the problem I'm having is voices sound like I'm in a tunnel or somewhat of a nasal sound. My audi says it's something I need to get use to although I'm not sure I can get use to not being able to listen to the radio as well as with the body aid. Is there anything on the market that is stronger and clearer then the Phonak Naida S III UP? So far, I've only found the ReSound Sparx which is 1db higher in peak gain than phonak.

My loss is around 110db

I would just do a couple of adjustments until it sounds a bit better ..how many times have you had them adjusted after the initial fitting? I had mine adjusted a few times when i got them.

My loss is around 110db

Its hard to tell the difference between overamplification and a new sound quality that takes the brain time to get used to. If its not sounding better after two to three weeks, then you might want to consider an overamplification issue and go for adjustments.

Just so you know, the Naida S have a reputation for a mechanical sound quality, so don't confuse that with the boomy or nasal sound. The Sparx also sounded terribly mechanical to me also. If that kind of sound quality becomes a problem you can't live with, then reference this chart I created for some possible alternatives: hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?t=12836

My loss is around 110db

It sounding like in a tunnel etc can be sorted out. Naidas need more fitting as they have more stuff to them.
I would also turn off the compression for you so it's similar to your body aid. You need linear setting.

The feedback manager on it, it turns down gain so altho it's good to have the feedback manager it's pants if it's continually lowing the gain. Making sure you ear mold is fitting well will solve that problem.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I did have some adjustments made yesterday. Now when I'm sitting outside I'm hearing a constant engine sound, sometimes it's loud, sometimes soft. I'm also picking periodic traffic noise, but the closes major street is almost a half a mile away. I'm also hearing the wind blow through the trees which is a sound I have not heard very well in years. I'll give it more time.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I did have some adjustments made yesterday. Now when I'm sitting outside I'm hearing a constant engine sound, sometimes it's loud, sometimes soft. I'm also picking periodic traffic noise, but the closes major street is almost a half a mile away. I'm also hearing the wind blow through the trees which is a sound I have not heard very well in years. I'll give it more time.

Sounds like that is the compression working. So times it's set to strong or to weak. If things dont improve, you can always ask for a phonak rep to come and see you :)

Sounds like that is the compression working. So times it's set to strong or to weak. If things dont improve, you can always ask for a phonak rep to come and see you :)

How's the UP sound for music to you?

Since the Naida S I just came out, I am going to trial it just out of sheer curiosity even though it ranks dead last on my ranking list.

I'm currently trialing a digital Resound Sparx in linear amplification mode. I'm well aware of the numerous issues between analog and digital aids, so that issue doesn't need to be rehashed all over again here. However, I haven't worn any hearing aids for 15-years and my loss is also worse, so I'm not sure I have a fine enough perception (yet?) to be perceiving any major differences between my 25-year old analog (Audiotone A61) aid and the Sparx's linear amp.

There's not that many BTE analog or digital super power hearing aids on the market (those that have a fitting range down to 120db), so I'm very interested in hearing about your experiences, what you've settled upon and most importantly, why.

MG

I wear Widex 440, it has the most natural sound and it was comfortable right out of the box. It additionally provides more range for my extreme hearing loss in my right ear and the brand has one of the best over all customer satisfaction ratings. My audi also says she has the best success rate with Widex over all the other brands.

Laura

Back