Super Nanny has picked a deaf couple

I thought that was a shame that the kids didn't know much ASL. Even the oldest daughter fingerspell words that has a sign for it. It's weird, but they communicate.

I thought that it's natural that children pick up signs along with the deaf parents. There's heairng parents teaching hearing kids simple signs.

I don't get what the real excuse is for the kids to refuse to sign and ingore the parents having the oldest daughter interpret for them or discipline the children for them because that's who the kids will listen to.

It's good that all of them came together to work with this.

I watched the show earlier and I must say, It was interesting.

I was surprised to see the interpreter because I immediately recognized her in the show and I never thought I'd see her in there, haha.

Anyway, The communication barrier was a big issue in the show between the parents and the kids. In the end, it worked out well.

The thing is, it bugs me watching the show because it kinds of portrays of how us deaf people do with our hearing children by depending on them. It may be true but of course, not every deaf parents would be doing that to their hearing child to depend on them for anything else.

yes i saw it! interesting! someone told me that it is common... i puzzled.. but i agree with jolie about commicate barrier.. yup that is one! ... i saw that they said it 90% deaf parents with hearing childern have that plm!

yes i saw it! interesting! someone told me that it is common... i puzzled.. but i agree with jolie about commicate barrier.. yup that is one! ... i saw that they said it 90% deaf parents with hearing childern have that plm!

You can be babysitter to kids:laugh2: JK HR

I could tell that deaf parent are not well-educated parent, and they don't know much about parent's role. Nanny is like a parent-teaching to both of them to make sure deaf parent do things properly to kids. They both never create home rules. :eek3: Pretty embarassing for them.

Sorry folks but I thought it was kind of......insulting.

First of all--why did the parents even considered going on an deaf cruise without their kids? As the daughter pointed out--it's habitual when the parents go hang out with their deaf friends and shirk their responsibilities as parents. Making her the responsible one. No wonder they had issues.

They could've entertain the thought of taking the kids with them.... :roll:

Secondly the t.v. show continually portrays us Deaf people that "we don't know what we are doing." :roll:

And that irks me!

Sorry folks but I thought it was kind of......insulting.

First of all--why did the parents even considered going on an deaf cruise without their kids? As the daughter pointed out--it's habitual when the parents go hang out with their deaf friends and shirk their responsibilities as parents. Making her the responsible one. No wonder they had issues.

They could've entertain the thought of taking the kids with them.... :roll:

Secondly the t.v. show continually portrays us Deaf people that "we don't know what we are doing." :roll:

And that irks me!

I think you are wrong. I am not a fan, but I believe every family who is on it is dysfunctional and that is why they need the super nanny. She did not imply deaf people were bad parents. She said the opposite, and taught that couple what they should do to be good parents like the majority of deaf people. The nanny said she could not believe they did not teach their kids sign.

Every family on that show has poor parenting skills. It has nothing to to with deaf or not.

I watched it last night. It's very interesting, indeed!

Before I watched it, I was expected that parents' children know sign language and only they needed to be improved their behavior, respect, obey to their parents, and etc etc. But I didn't realize they only know some sign languages and not much at all. Wow.. I do really feel so bad for Melissa... This made me want to :hug: Melissa a many... :( At the least, SuperNanny saved that family and the oldest daughter. I'm sure their lives are doing so much better.

:shock::roll:
I couldn't believe that those couple and with the kids include the older one... I feel sorry for older daughter that going turn 18 years old. I do not want put my kid as teach the kid manner.. It not the purpose of increase with respect and value family.

Again, I disagree those kids that doesn't have to learn or being communicate with sign langauge. Again, Super Nanny did good job do her best to make thing work but I only noticed that Interpreter or Parents not do anything.

For example; the Melissa spelled "Advantage" and the mother signed as perform or do... Depend where you guy sign, I superised and Super Nanny doesn't know that sign that part... It not Super Nanny's issue. It is couple issue, if they have kids and they need or should have some educated themselve to pick up the words and able to answer kids with tool educated.

I am not speaking as I am perfect parent. It what we should and able provide kids with sign language shouuld set their primary language and then second language is speech...

However; the kids should invloved the camping even parents too. Out there the program to help understand met the communicate need. I been invloved that program and not sure if they are aware of program that we do have one.. Not just one, there are several camp has that...

However; as long they learn their lesson and follow JoJo steps.

Complete and utter chaos in that house! How on earth can the children not know asl? Boggles the mind...and the oldest daughter's signing was pretty crummy (and coming from me that's really saying something). She was fingerspelling words like "respect" and "take advantage". Wow. *smh*

I was appalled at the hearing children not wanting to learn ASL unless it's "fun." Boundaries need to be established. When your parents are around, you SIGN. If you don't, you go on the infamous naughty step. It's just rude and disrespectful and I was very embarrassed for the kids. However, I was glad to see the family was willing to change.

I am so surprised at Melissa's anger. Hasn't she been to a CODA/KODA camp? I realise it was edited but come on, she needs to be a kid first and the parents' excuses at first were abhorrent. You should be proud you are Deaf...pride means NOT using it as an excuse, as a Deaf school teaches.

I did learn though that with MY kids I won't spoil them use voice ONLY. That is unacceptable as it might make them see Dad as hearing. I will use ASL, and there will be set English times and places but ASL above all is the first language and method of communication, I hope my partner in rearing (Deaf OR hearing) would agree with that.

I am anxious to see vlogs about this.

PARENTS...what is your opinion?

You know, I saw the same types of behavior coming from these hearing kids because they had never learned to communicate with their parents as I see in deaf kids who have never been able to communicate with their hearing parents because the parents had never learned to sign. The behavior is nothing more than extreme frustration over not being able to communicate and understand boundaries. It happens to deaf kids in hearing families all the time. What was the solution to the problem? Teaching the hearing kids ASL so that communication in the family would improve. The same solution needs to be applied to deaf kids in a hearing family. If ASL as the common commincation that is accessible to all when the parents are deaf and the kids are hearing, it will work when the parents are hearing and the kids are deaf. It is the communication dysfunction that creates the problems to start with. The problem is the same whether it is deaf children or deaf parents. Lack of effective and complete communication.

I think you are wrong. I am not a fan, but I believe every family who is on it is dysfunctional and that is why they need the super nanny. She did not imply deaf people were bad parents. She said the opposite, and taught that couple what they should do to be good parents like the majority of deaf people. The nanny said she could not believe they did not teach their kids sign.

Every family on that show has poor parenting skills. It has nothing to to with deaf or not.

It's one of those "catch-22" issues....

For a person that has never seen a deaf family or a deaf person--that's what they may think.

I do agree with you about every family that is shown on the television program have dysfunctional issues.

Then again--what family isn't dysfunctional? :lol:

Excuse me about the time slot for 8:00 pm instead of 9:00 pm. I am sorry about the mistake for the time. Hey, I am not perfect. I watched the program last night and realize that it was suppose to show 9:00 pm which I did watch. Anyway, wow, that is almost exactly what I did with my hearing son who was out of control too. I did teach him sign language but he want to have his way or better yet want to see how I react to his behavior. There are times I feel sorry for him because he was an only child and still is. I sometime let him get away with it. Naughty me. Being a parent is hard enough for me to raise him. Watching Dorothy, her husband and Melissa trying to get along with each other on raising the kids brought back memories of how hard it is to raise kids. That is sad that the kids did not know sign language enough to understand what their parents want them to do. Communication is very important and they should all signs well and so is Melissa need to improving better almost like a deaf person. I am glad in the end that everything work out well for the family and get their problems solve by the SuperNanny. Hurrah. Byrdie, if you have never been a parent, then you will realize how hard to raise a one or more kids who are always out of control. Whether hearing or deaf including Hard of Hearing, it is bad enough to try to raise children. That is why SuperNanny help all kind of parents find a way to help the kids to be able to obey and mind their parents and go to bed without being told or told only once for bedtime. Did you notice that the parents tried to put the kids to bed about 14 times or more. They are testing the parents to get away with it. Children can be very mechievous and manipulater (both words not sure on spelling). :roll:

Excuse me about the time slot for 8:00 pm instead of 9:00 pm. I am sorry about the mistake for the time. Hey, I am not perfect. I watched the program last night and realize that it was suppose to show 9:00 pm which I did watch. Anyway, wow, that is almost exactly what I did with my hearing son who was out of control too. I did teach him sign language but he want to have his way or better yet want to see how I react to his behavior. There are times I feel sorry for him because he was an only child and still is. I sometime let him get away with it. Naughty me. Being a parent is hard enough for me to raise him. Watching Dorothy, her husband and Melissa trying to get along with each other on raising the kids brought back memories of how hard it is to raise kids. That is sad that the kids did not know sign language enough to understand what their parents want them to do. Communication is very important and they should all signs well and so is Melissa need to improving better almost like a deaf person. I am glad in the end that everything work out well for the family and get their problems solve by the SuperNanny. Hurrah. Byrdie, if you have never been a parent, then you will realize how hard to raise a one or more kids who are always out of control. Whether hearing or deaf including Hard of Hearing, it is bad enough to try to raise children. That is why SuperNanny help all kind of parents find a way to help the kids to be able to obey and mind their parents and go to bed without being told or told only once for bedtime. Did you notice that the parents tried to put the kids to bed about 14 times or more. They are testing the parents to get away with it. Children can be very mechievous and manipulater (both words not sure on spelling). :roll:
Don't blame yourself.

I'm in the Central Time Zone.

I have friends who are in the Eastern Time Zone. They would have this show at 9 pm. :)

Back