Summer School - UK

loml

Reaction score
Spring 2010 Issue 43

Bookings are already coming in fast for our 10th annual Summer School in Exeter. As in previous years the families ofdeaf babies and children, and the professionals who support them, will learn the skills to communicate together in English.

The Summer School has a fun, relaxed atmosphere with a daytime crèche (with care staff skilled in both Cued Speech and BSL) which allows parents to learn whilst their children play nearby.

Cued Speech is the only soundbased system that allows a deaf baby or child to ‘see’ the whole of language as it is spoken. Research shows that without Cued Speech it is only possible to lipread about 35% of speech but this
rises to a staggering 96% with the addition of Cued Speech.

It can be learnt in only a few hours and then parents can cue any word in the English language in a way that is totally clear to their baby or child. Anne Worsfold, Executive Director of the Cued Speech Association, says: ‘Once they learn Cued Speech, hearing families can communicate without delay or confusion and their deaf child can learn to understand and think in English. Cued Speech has enabled my own two deaf children to entirely reach their potential – it can do the same for your child!’ Research indicates that deaf children brought up with Cued Speech have literacy levels equal to those of hearing children.

Parents attending last year’s Summer School were overwhelmingly positive; comments included:

♦ ‘I didn’t believe I could cue any word until the end of the course proved I could.’ ♦ ‘fun and effective learning games.’

♦ ‘relaxed atmosphere – lovely to chat and meet
different people over lunch.’

♦ ‘Amazing,loved it.’

♦ ‘We really enjoyed the summer school and got a huge amount from it. Thanks.’

The Summer School has classes for everyone. Beginners only have to learn eight different handshapes and four different positions which clarify all of the lippatterns of spoken English - and the simple rules of combining these to clarify whole words. There is no new vocabulary or grammar to learn. Students should go home at the end of the week having had fun, made
new friends and with a skill which gives a deaf child access to English through Cued Speech.

Exeter is a beautiful town with sandy beaches only 30 minutes drive away. Activities offered after classes include a river boat trip, rounders, a drama workshop, and a final night dinner and in-house cabaret where - if
they wish - students can show off their new cueing skills!​

http://www.cuedspeech.org.uk/newsletters

Back