Summer Intensive

morphocoelestis

Reaction score
I am HoH and I desperately want to spend the summer at Gallaudet learning ASL (I have done some classes before, and I have found ASL more natural to me, but I feel like the only way to really learn it is to be truly immersed)-- but the programs are soooo expensive. So you know of any scholarships for this kind of thing? (Or any Gallaudet students-- if I am there for six weeks, would I be able to find work in the area? Or maybe on campus?)

I am HoH and I desperately want to spend the summer at Gallaudet learning ASL (I have done some classes before, and I have found ASL more natural to me, but I feel like the only way to really learn it is to be truly immersed)-- but the programs are soooo expensive. So you know of any scholarships for this kind of thing? (Or any Gallaudet students-- if I am there for six weeks, would I be able to find work in the area? Or maybe on campus?)

I can ask the ASL instructor at my work cuz she teaches ASL at Gallaudet during the summer. Good luck!

U can apply for jobs on campus. I am sure there is probably something.

go to Gallaudet University

morphocoelestis - I do not know where you are located, but perhaps this information may be of some benefit. Some areas with larger Deaf communities will offer, through their association or continuing education programs, full immersion classes over the summer. These are generally much cheaper than a college or university course. Hope that gives you some ideas. :)

Hi there!
I took a 2-week class at Gally last summer and will be returning this summer. I made friends that I still keep in touch with. It was a most amazing experience and we had a lot of fun. :)
I know that you are only allowed to take 2 classes though. So you can stay a maximum of 4-weeks. Just because of the intensity of the classes and the amount of material you cover.
I do believe that they have financial aid, so shoot them an email and see. I use part of my student loan to cover some of the expenses and have the credits transferred to my university to count towards graduating.

Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed it so much. What do the demographics seem to be for the summer programs? (College students or a lot of older people; mostly hearing, HoH etc?) And what is a normal day like in the program? I am very interested! Tell me all the details you can! I can not find the webpage for the summer program (I got the details via email originally), could you possibly post the link?

Have you thought of community college?

There's a community college that I live near by here in Texas that has ASL classes. :)

Hey,
"Our summer programs website can be viewed at College of Professional Studies and Outreach (CPSO) - Welcome to Summer 2008 - Gallaudet University. Specifically, our ASL class information can be found at College of Professional Studies and Outreach (CPSO) - Professional Studies (PST) Courses - Gallaudet University. "
I was surprised by the variety of students there. Almost no one was from the DC area. There were students from all across the United States, Canada, and overseas (Japan, Russia). The foreign students were deaf and were there to learn ASL in addition to their native sign language. Many students from the states were interpreting students or in various fields related to deaf culture/medicine (audiology, education, nurses who worked in heavily deaf populated areas, etc). Some were HoH and there to continue learning. Most were hearing. There was one girl who had recently become deaf due to illness.
You stay in the dorms and class begins around 8:30. You can have breakfast first in the cafeteria (food is ok, actually). You break for lunch (about an hour) and the class ends around 2:30. You cover a lot of material though, and there are receptive exams and skills tests which are video recorded.
The nice part is that the day ends early in the afternoon if you're just taking an ASL class (and not a special course like fingerspelling) so you have time to tour the DC area or shop or travel a bit if you like.
Anything else you want to know, shoot me a PM or IM me. I think you'd like it very much. ;-)

I am looking into going to Gallaudet for their summer program as well! I already have a good sense of basic ASL but my hearing loss has progressed to profound and I need to improve my skills fast. I am hoping to spend the next year or so doing as much ASL as possible so I can effectivly use an interpreter in University the following year.

I am glad to hear that others have enjoyed the program!

Back