Suing former employer for violating ADA?

it's explained in other thread but I'll say it again. C.A.R.T. = Communication Access Realtime Translation. It's basically like a closed-captioning service. A stenographer connects his/her device to a laptop where you can view the captions. Pretty cool, huh?

This is the service my college contracted with when I was a student. I have used both on-site and remote CART service. Both helped me a great deal to participated fully in class especially in class/group discussions.

Thank you for the explanation, and yeah, pretty cool! I have never seen that.

I've never try to hide the fact of my disability. I've always made them aware of my disability before the interview and most of time - they've said it's not a problem at all. I've had some emails expressing their interests in interviewing me and then I replied back about my disability. They didn't even reply back. Oh well! I don't really care. I wouldn't want to work at ignorant workplace.

That is exactly my feeling. It's kind of funny in this sense that my Voc Rehab has kind of hinted at trying to hide it. She tells me not to say a word about being deaf or needing interpeters, etc. until I absolutely have to. I've always tried to be up-front about it from the moment I get contacted for an interview. And same as you, I often don't hear back from them after that. I used to get really annoyed at that, but then I think the same you do -- that I would not want to work in an ignorant workplace. Long ago I wasn't as up-front about it as I am now -- I used to wait until an interview (since I can get by without an interpreter) but all that did was create some awkwardness because it caught them off-guard and they start stumbling around. It does make finding jobs difficult but the end result is worth it if you find the right employer for the right job for you.

Thank you all for your responds. Don't you think we are trying hard to hide the fact that we're deaf when we're looking for jobs? It's true that they'd think that it's a hassle to work with the deaf people. If so, them I simply want to put an end to that for we aren't different from them. We just have different perspective than others. A perspective without sounds. I'd say it's a great advantage for the companies to take those who can see beyond what other sees. I really would like to spread the words around the world about people with disabilites can develop abilities that no one can.

Attempting to "hide" a disability from a potential employer can be risky. Failure to self disclose means that you forfeit your right to request accommodation in the future should you be hired.

I do understand that she stood out with great reputation. The company she works for must have experienced some disabled employee and went through lawsuits to learn several lessons.

One thing about interviewing is you have to show them that being in meetings, trainings, and workshops, you can communicate without assistance so they don't have give acommodation. They simply like employees who can look after themselves. Sometimes the VR is right about staying confidential about your status.

But one thing about a job interview, you have to be smooth and very informative, even tho you don't know anything, you still have to say something related to the job that would help them make a decision. Just try to help them make a decision that would land you a job. I do know several deaf people that has been trying to get a job without acommodation and failed just because they couldn't communicate smooth and aren't very informative.

Don't be someone that hopes that they'll just hire you right off the bat. Like jiro said, show them what you have and they'll probably do anything to get you.

Don't forget, we're actually in the situation where people are starting to have problem financially. It does affect a lot of companies' decision to hire, since people are actually dying to get a great paying job.

Anyways, this is how I got terminated from my job. Through an email right after work when I got home. It said, "You have been terminated and do not go to the workplace. Mail all your belongings that we have provided you."

Have you gotten a notice of your termination in an email without any kind of warnings? If so, tell me how you reacted.

How I reacted, I was shocked and confused, especially right after my meeting with the managers about how great I have been in the past week. I had so much mixed feelings and so much on my mind. I thought of one thing, American with Disabilities Act.

Anyways, this is how I got terminated from my job. Through an email right after work when I got home. It said, "You have been terminated and do not go to the workplace. Mail all your belongings that we have provided you."

Have you gotten a notice of your termination in an email without any kind of warnings? If so, tell me how you reacted.

How I reacted, I was shocked and confused, especially right after my meeting with the managers about how great I have been in the past week. I had so much mixed feelings and so much on my mind. I thought of one thing, American with Disabilities Act.
WTF? :madfawk: to them for not having a respect and decency to tell you in person! I'll remember your situation next time if I'm in a meeting where manager compliments me about how great I've been. "You're not gonna email me saying that I'm fired when I go home, right?"

That'd be giving them hints that you know, they'd probably tell you in person after being asked by that question.

It's true that they don't have respect but then think about it.

A company that encounter a person with disability for the first time that has abilities just like everyone else. I'm sure they weren't very sure about me in the start, but right when they started to like me. Things fell apart.

Do I still have a chance even tho the whole team I worked with is replaced with a new team? You know, witnesses and proofs that I can include in my case.

That'd be giving them hints that you know, they'd probably tell you in person after being asked by that question.

It's true that they don't have respect but then think about it.

A company that encounter a person with disability for the first time that has abilities just like everyone else. I'm sure they weren't very sure about me in the start, but right when they started to like me. Things fell apart.

Do I still have a chance even tho the whole team I worked with is replaced with a new team? You know, witnesses and proofs that I can include in my case.

you have no case. that's what we're trying to tell you. if the company's not responding to you to settle or discuss to make amend, that's because you have no case!

Just a little bit off-topic here. This pertains only to those who may fall under vocational rehab income guidelines. VR will provide interpreters for training and such. So in pixiestix's case, an interpreter could possibly have been provided for the cross-training. That would have taken care of that issue and ensured you understood the training, pixiestix.

I basically am with about everyone else here in that I don't think you have a case partly because you quit, and also because as long as your employer provided you with REASONABLE accommodations (such as the notetaker you mentioned during your meeting, regardless of whether it was word-for-word or not). Since you found a new job you love, I'd say cut your losses as far as your previous employer is concerned.

Last edited:
and they're not actually required to provide an interpreter or notetaker either... as long as the employer can provide other accommodation such as emailing you the summary/details of the meeting. It sucks but that's how it is. they don't see any justification in paying extra for a person in low level - cost-benefit thing you know.... Obviously - they're willing to provide the best options available if you're in an important seat.

When I first was hired 12 years ago, my manager refused to provide me interpreters for training or meeting. It made my job much much harder, even with email/summary notes.

I hired a lawyer back then, they said they are required to provide me reasonable accommodations such as TTY, interpreters, etc upon request. It took me nearly a year after manager to finally provide me accommodations after I threatened to resign my job. (I was only person in the office that can perform many advanced tasks that many people couldn't do or do it quickly.) To this date, he still do that accommodation without too much troubles. It is usually in their best interest to keep valuable employee happy in long run.

Mortal of the story, if employer think you are valuable employee, keep fighting what you believe you need to do your job.

I am in a process of suing a video game company. They fired me for spelling and grammar errors. But it was just this word "paitence" and they also considered the grammar with spelling errors is also a error. When I applied to make a case against the company, the district said it will take a year. So it took a year and I got a letter with details of my mistakes. I have to admit I did make mistakes, but who didn't on their first few days and during training. Also I wasn't given any accomodations because a team leader was keeping me updated with everything, for example, an upcoming meeting, he would provide me information of what's going on in the meetings and what questions manager will ask, also what should I say when it's my turn to speak. I thought everything was going great, but I was mistaken, they didn't want me and I felt discriminated. Was I right to apply the charges against them? I am only doing it so it won't happen to others like us because there isn't ONE disabled employee in that company of more than thirty employees. Anyways, I responded to that letter with a strong confident information describing my mistakes and what I learnt from the mistakes. I also described that I am a student pursuiting a career in designing video game. Sucks, I waited for a year for a simple letter and now I'm waiting on the letter I sent.

Job Position: Customer Service Representative for Massive Multi Player Online Role Playing Games.

Task: answering 300+ emails a day

Excuse me, are you British? It's because you spelled, "learnt" on your post. This word is often from German.

I have read several of your posts about the ADA. However; I understand about terminated but one thing you can sued them for terminated.

For example; if they have told you about spelling or error that need be correction issue. If thing doesn't improve, they may have let you go.

For wrong example; if they realized that communication issue doesn't work effective due their "waste" time. Once they hope to find mistake and they just blow to fired you! Yes, sued them due because they think person have great strong field of employee history but blow in hot potato. Course, it will hard to believe to reaction and say 'damn you'.

Right now about the CART thing or whatever that communication effect that NAD is working on that part for communication to access. Again, I read that website that recent change the ADA law effect in June 2008. It explain so clear what it should be and which I support that idea instead of summary with cloud explain to limited disablity to expand define of ADA. For example; they don't support idea of doctor appointment without interpreter due lot of failure communication.

FOR EXAMPLE and it happen to me... I have back issue, I went on travel somehow that pain jolt my back wasn't funny. I happen went to ER. The ER doctor was stare at me and my wife... we were confused... ER doctor went to upper doctor field and come to me. Asked "Why are you taking this pill? Do you know what for?" I response, it for pain refiel, doctor say no.. it for treatment for who have STD:eek3:

Many thing has start change process of ADA which I support however... about that quit part, move on... FIRED thing is BIG Issue because of our limited that felt waste time but know as a good employee that can help but but felt waste time to hassle deal with mute or can't hear... want team who can hear or speak faster than just have hassle... that pretty wrongful..

Hey... look at the bright side, hearing is disablity because they don't know how to sign.. what for, we have interpreter.

you have no case. that's what we're trying to tell you. if the company's not responding to you to settle or discuss to make amend, that's because you have no case!

Jerk.

You assumed.
(Making an ass out of yourself and Mini-me.)

I only talk about it cause I am making a case against my former employer. Now it is in process to send to the district of EEOC, Equal Employment Opportunity Comission, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). This might help others who had hard time trying to make a case.

Please acknowledge this, to make a case, you need to have strong points and strong opinions, then you can develop a case, it doesn't matter if it's small or big, you have the rights to take those to trial.

well said, zero dog.

Yes, ADA is still improving nowadays, but people aren't compelling to the laws at all times.

Yes, I was terminated, that means I WAS FIRED for reasons that can be improved in the company. Did you see how I explained when I admitted my mistakes? I said I did make mistakes, but I improved and changed. I even assisted the team to look better, there's no I in teamwork!

Learnt is often used by those who mastered english for it is unique. But you're right, I'm a race of German and French.

Back