Suggestions for replies to "great speech skills"

flip

Reaction score
Tunisia is a popluar tourist destination in europe. They got some touristy desert trips, where tourists can interact with "exotic" nomadic berbers. Those berbers have a great sense of humor. It's not uncommon by them to offer tourists, say 20 camels, for their wives or daughters. Tourists usually gets very shocked and refuse the offer as politely then can, while the berbers have a laugh after the tourists have left. They sure know how to have fun.

It hit me, why not make a humorous reply when people say I speak so well or lipread so well or something like that, and perhaps have a laugh when they walk away.

"I got an implanted mechanical tongue."

"I was educated by the military to lipread. I am an agent."

"I got a bionic eye, that reads your lips and makes them into sounds inside my brain".

"No no, I don't lipread well, it's you who have a clear speech. How did you learn to speak so clear with your mouth?"

Other suggestions?

:laugh2: Hilarious!....I do believe a good comeback to remarks such as this is much better than getting angry and upset....Keeping ur sense of humor, lowers ur blood pressure...."Damn right, I've got great speech skills"!...."What happened to yours?"

Damn right, I've got great speech skills"!...."What happened to yours?"

ooohhhh.lol.. that how I feel when people judge my speech.. it make you feel unintelligent if you don't speak correctly, doesn't it?

ooohhhh.lol.. that how I feel when people judge my speech.. it make you feel unintelligent if you don't speak correctly, doesn't it?

Well, it doesn't make me "feel unintelligent"...becuz I know I'm not, but I'm not the brightest bulb in the box either....it's just certain words that I forget how to pronounce....And when asking someone the proper way to pronounce the word....then "they" think I'm unintelligent!...So...that gets my "gander" up...ruffles my feathers....and at times have made me say..."well, thanks, smart ass"!

How bout.....

Well hang in there.......if you keep practicing you can speak just like me..

How bout.....

Well hang in there.......if you keep practicing you can speak just like me..

And singing...."Fa La La La La.... La La La La"!....Do a little "wiggle...shake that booty....toss ur head....and say..."I's outta heeeere"! :shock:

I doesn't make me feel unintelligent. I have never been told how great my speech is. Usually strangers look nervously at whomever I am with to see what I said.

If I am alone, I just write it down for them.

I guess my parents did manage to equip me with a healthy ego.

LOL. Great suggestions from posters here! "I learned to read minds", must try that one :laugh2:

Mostly, I don't get offended by comments like "great speech". I think some people are puzzled by the fact that one can utter some sound without hearing. Just look at how many people think CI is THE gateway to speech.

More suggestions, anyone?

Who says you have to respond? Sometimes acknowledging stupid comments isn't worth doing. If they don't get a response from you, you're telling them one wasn't justified.

Who says you have to respond? Sometimes acknowledging stupid comments isn't worth doing. If they don't get a response from you, you're telling them one wasn't justified.

Excellent point. A couple of funny replies could still be handy in case one want to have a laugh or something.

Well, one of my dorm roommate actually said when I met him for the first time, "Hey, you speak very well." And I was like, in my head, "Huh?"

It was at Gallaudet University.

Yes. He was deaf.

:gossip:

Last edited:
Well, one of my dorm roommate actually said when I met him for the first time said, "Hey, you speak very well." And I was like, in my head, "Huh?"

It was at Gallaudet University.

Yes. He was deaf.

:gossip:

"No, I don't speak well, it's you who have extremely crap speech skills.".. eer, perhaps Gallaudet not is the best place to say something like that :)

How about saying thank you. I worked very hard at it. Or does speaking come easy for deaf people?

"I have to speak clearly especially for you."

How about saying thank you. I worked very hard at it. Or does speaking come easy for deaf people?

Nah, it was easy. All one need is an wire put into the ear, running out and into the mouth down the throat. That you can transfer sound from the mouth to the ear. But IQ of at least 130 is needed for that.

Back