Suggestion for improving ASL Skills

rwbil

Reaction score
My wife is studying to become an Interpreter. She has already learned ASL and goes to various deaf events to practice. She is trying to get a job as and Interpreter. She can understand ASL when the person is signing at a slow or moderate rate, but still has difficulty when the person is signing fast. I wanted to by some DVDs that were either advance ASL or just short stories or a whole movie that was signed. Most the DVDs I see are for learning ASL. And many are very expensive and only have 30 minutes of stories. Does anybody have recommendations for 2 hour long DVDs or other suggestions to practice ASL at an advance level such as an advanced 2 week all day immersion program where everybody only signs.

Thanks in Advance,
Robert

Having Deaf friends and being as involved in the Deaf Community as possible is by far the best way to become more fluent in ASL. Best of all, it's free!
For extra practice however, watch VLOGS! Deaf people talk about anything and everything online, from PhD level discussion to how they just got out of prison. VLOGS will help your/ your wife's sign reception improve, as well as help you/her understand issues in the Deaf world.
Good luck!

:)

I found something on line that can help you learn to read fingerspelling faster. It's not as good as practicing with someone in real life but it's better then nothing.

Click here to try it.

You watch the word being fingerspelled and type in what it says. you can adjust the speed too.

• She has already learned ASL....
  • She is trying to get a job as and Interpreter.
  • She can understand ASL when the person is signing at a slow or moderate rate, but still has difficulty when the person is signing fast.

Robert,

Your wife is very lucky to have a husband who is supportive of her efforts to become an interpreter. I would like to offer a friendly word of advice and caution.

First the advice: your wife (and you, ideally) should make friends with Deaf people who use ASL. Using the language LIVE is really the only way to learn bilateral communication. If your wife is to be an interpreter, she needs to be able to understand what Deaf people are saying as well as express her own thoughts (and those of others, as an interpreter). It would be a benefit to you as well.

Now the caution: If your wife can't understand Deaf people who sign at a normal/fast rate of speed, I would question her readiness to become an interpreter. Interpreters need to be truly bilingual; deaf people should not have to modify their natural communication for the interpreter's sake.

I would encourage your wife to find a qualified/certified interpreter with which to mentor in a controlled environment with support.

i wish be interest to phd I hope better love my language. I need to improve english and language sign I need to support to help language course,

My wife is studying to become an Interpreter. She has already learned ASL and goes to various deaf events to practice. She is trying to get a job as and Interpreter. She can understand ASL when the person is signing at a slow or moderate rate, but still has difficulty when the person is signing fast. I wanted to by some DVDs that were either advance ASL or just short stories or a whole movie that was signed. Most the DVDs I see are for learning ASL. And many are very expensive and only have 30 minutes of stories. Does anybody have recommendations for 2 hour long DVDs or other suggestions to practice ASL at an advance level such as an advanced 2 week all day immersion program where everybody only signs.

Thanks in Advance,
Robert

Practice, practice, and more practice.

Back