sugar free products

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just dont see it, but OK. I'll concede since I don't want to argue a point that really is of no consequence. You have your opinions and I have mine. Lets leave it at that. But, I would like you to please supply a source for your assertions. All the sources I've come across indicate that monitering if one's intake it still required.

You don't see it because it's not true.

People with diabetes are still being told to restrict their diet. Every one with diabetes I have known couldn't just eat whatever they wanted to.

They still have to maintain a certain blood level before meals and before bed.

You don't see it because it's not true.

People with diabetes are still being told to restrict their diet. Every one with diabetes I have known couldn't just eat whatever they wanted to.

They still have to maintain a certain blood level before meals and before bed.

That's what I think to, but I really have no energy to argue with her, so I left it alone, but I do agree with you. All the medical literature backs up exactly what you're saying. Even with better insulin and the pumps that are available today, I don't believe a diabetic can just consume all the glucose that she is asserting they can.

That is a drag you got so sick , I hope you remember to drink more water as your body lose a lot when have you diarrhea . I can't eat sugar free products I get horrible headaches from them . Licorice tea will made to go a lot too. and St Johnwort is an anti diuretic. And that can be very dangerous ,as you can urine toxicology.

That's what I think to, but I really have no energy to argue with her, so I left it alone, but I do agree with you. All the medical literature backs up exactly what you're saying. Even with better insulin and the pumps that are available today, I don't believe a diabetic can just consume all the glucose that she is asserting they can.

The fact is, they cannot consume all of it. A pile of potatoes, topping it off with a few scoops of ice cream along with a bottle of soda.

You'll go into a diabetic coma. Heck, you could go blind. Lose your feet and possibly die.

She's just looking for an argument to make, no matter how irrational it is.

The fact is, they cannot consume all of it. A pile of potatoes, topping it off with a few scoops of ice cream along with a bottle of soda.

You'll go into a diabetic coma. Heck, you could go blind. Lose your feet and possibly die.

She's just looking for an argument to make, no matter how irrational it is.

That's not all. There's a slew of complications that can happen.

Heart and artery disease.
Kidney failure
diabetic neuropathy (necessitating amputation in some cases)
ketoacidosis

All of which can lead to death as you mentioned. OK, with that. I'm done with this. I don't want to argue this. I agree with you Banjo and the medical literature backs up what we're saying. That's good enough for me!

With that, I'm out.

It actually wasn't very funny as I didn't get much sleep and my stomach still isn't right.

I was going to say that too , there is nothing funny about this . People can get very sick when they have bad diarrhea,.you get very weak from a lack of sleep and your are losing nutrition that your body need.

I was going to say that too , there is nothing funny about this . People can get very sick when they have bad diarrhea,.you get very weak from a lack of sleep and your are losing nutrition that your body need.

You lose fluids, yes. I have since recovered. You can bet, though, that I'm never touching another product with sorbitol in it!

Kidney failure
ketoacidosis

All of which can lead to death as you mentioned. OK, with that. I'm done with this. I don't want to argue this. I agree with you Banjo and the medical literature backs up what we're saying. That's good enough for me!

With that, I'm out.

I'm done with it too as well. No need to keep beating a dead horse.

Thanks for the warning!

I'll add that for those avoiding sugar for weight loss...that's great, but the substitute sweeteners will make you fatter in the end.

They inhibit your body's mechanisms that tell you when you are full

not to mention giving your body the WTF factor.

Even Refined sugar isn't pure, it as you eat it Shuts down the part of you that says FULL
(wonder why you can eat a half gallon of Ice cream in one setting but start getting BLAH and feel like a stuffed pig, if you try and eat half as much oatmeal.)

Sugar is more addictive than Cocaine, adding to the I NEED TO EAT MORE problem.

Not to mention it's the main cause of obesity not CALORIES... eat 2000 calories of sugar and You will be HUGE why?
Glycemic index/load has more to do with fat storage than over all calories. Ex. Sugar is i think a GI of 100 HIGH. the higher the # the faster it absorbs into the blood converted into glucose. First it goes to the liver...liver takes what it needs and can only process so much so fast...then sugar enters the blood...it also can only be processed so fast...and when the Blood sugar level raises our friend Insulin is released to bring the Sugar Levels down...Insulin takes sugar and gets it out of the blood...by putting in these cute little cells known as FAT CELLS.
Foods that absorb quickly trigger the same response

cutting sweet drinks out of your diet can drop ya 10-20 lbs in a month NO EXERCISE (shh i might put myself out of a job) lol

Kinda got a lil off topic but SUGAR is just as Poison as Sugar substitutes, unless you go PURE cane sugar (still makes ya fat), or Stevia..aka Sweet leaf, or even honey.

Animals don't eat sweets...name an animal in the wild where even 5% are fat? It doesn't happen...let's learn from mother nature. :)

Splenda was molecularly changed...it was a potential medicine for indigestion that was never approved because of side effects. Clumsy scientest didn't wash his hands one day and ended up tasting it...OOH WOW SWEET! lol...change a few molecules, name it something happy and We have a delicious poison! :D

and sodas...fun stuff they suck the nutrients out of your bone marrow, and since you don't replenish that durring the winter...Especially shouldn't drink them then...or ever really.

Thanks for the warning!

I'll add that for those avoiding sugar for weight loss...that's great, but the substitute sweeteners will make you fatter in the end.

They inhibit your body's mechanisms that tell you when you are full

not to mention giving your body the WTF factor.

Even Refined sugar isn't pure, it as you eat it Shuts down the part of you that says FULL
(wonder why you can eat a half gallon of Ice cream in one setting but start getting BLAH and feel like a stuffed pig, if you try and eat half as much oatmeal.)

Sugar is more addictive than Cocaine, adding to the I NEED TO EAT MORE problem.

Not to mention it's the main cause of obesity not CALORIES... eat 2000 calories of sugar and You will be HUGE why?
Glycemic index/load has more to do with fat storage than over all calories. Ex. Sugar is i think a GI of 100 HIGH. the higher the # the faster it absorbs into the blood converted into glucose. First it goes to the liver...liver takes what it needs and can only process so much so fast...then sugar enters the blood...it also can only be processed so fast...and when the Blood sugar level raises our friend Insulin is released to bring the Sugar Levels down...Insulin takes sugar and gets it out of the blood...by putting in these cute little cells known as FAT CELLS.
Foods that absorb quickly trigger the same response

cutting sweet drinks out of your diet can drop ya 10-20 lbs in a month NO EXERCISE (shh i might put myself out of a job) lol

Kinda got a lil off topic but SUGAR is just as Poison as Sugar substitutes, unless you go PURE cane sugar (still makes ya fat), or Stevia..aka Sweet leaf, or even honey.

Animals don't eat sweets...name an animal in the wild where even 5% are fat? It doesn't happen...let's learn from mother nature. :)

Splenda was molecularly changed...it was a potential medicine for indigestion that was never approved because of side effects. Clumsy scientest didn't wash his hands one day and ended up tasting it...OOH WOW SWEET! lol...change a few molecules, name it something happy and We have a delicious poison! :D

and sodas...fun stuff they suck the nutrients out of your bone marrow, and since you don't replenish that durring the winter...Especially shouldn't drink them then...or ever really.

Whoa there, buddy. This was not about sugar at all. The main point of the thread had to do with the sugar substitute sorbitol and the unpleasant side effects that can result from it's consumption. Please stick to topic.

You may also want to check your facts. What you said about sugar being the main cause of obesity just isn't true. I don't want to get into another exhausting debate, but please if you make statements, back them up with sources, please.

"sugar free products" that's the topic, not "SORBITOL"

either way Im sorry if I offended anyone by trying to provide a lil more info on dangers of "SUGAR SUBSTITUTES" which are IN "SUGAR FREE TOPICS" and giving a short history on SPLENDA which is a *Drumroll please* SUGAR SUBSTITUTE...found in oh my gosh..."SUGAR FREE PRODUCTS" omg and that happens to be the EXACT TITLE OF THIS THREAD

serioulsy stop looking for a fight. you won't find one here, I may be new to this forum my friend but I can pick out the people just looking for some E-drama.

I think it's natural for a conversation to bend a sway, taking on ideas and thoughts of simmilar interest...I saw people metion weight and thought SUGAR might be noteworthy.

and if you read...i did back that up with a brief simplified concept of how the body turns sugar into fat.

Ask any trainer (oh wait I am one LOL) Diet or exercise what's more important to healthy weight. 100% should say DIET --> What's the biggest factor in the diet that contributes to obesity..SUGAR

LOL

"sugar free products" that's the topic, not "SORBITOL"

either way Im sorry if I offended anyone by trying to provide a lil more info on dangers of "SUGAR SUBSTITUTES" which are IN "SUGAR FREE TOPICS" and giving a short history on SPLENDA which is a *Drumroll please* SUGAR SUBSTITUTE...found in oh my gosh..."SUGAR FREE PRODUCTS" omg and that happens to be the EXACT TITLE OF THIS THREAD

serioulsy stop looking for a fight. you won't find one here, I may be new to this forum my friend but I can pick out the people just looking for some E-drama.

I think it's natural for a conversation to bend a sway, taking on ideas and thoughts of simmilar interest...I saw people metion weight and thought SUGAR might be noteworthy.

and if you read...i did back that up with a brief simplified concept of how the body turns sugar into fat.

Ask any trainer (oh wait I am one LOL) Diet or exercise what's more important to healthy weight. 100% should say DIET --> What's the biggest factor in the diet that contributes to obesity..SUGAR

LOL

Obesity: Causes - MayoClinic.com

This source says nothing at all regarding sugar causing obesity. Overall poor eating habits does, but that includes other things besides eating just sugar. At any rate, the last thing I want to do is fight with people who make claims without citing sources. My main goal in creating this t

Causes
By Mayo Clinic staff

Although there are genetic and hormonal influences on body weight, the bottom line is that obesity occurs when you take in more calories than you burn through exercise and normal daily activities. Your body stores these excess calories as fat. Obesity usually results from a combination of causes and contributing factors, including:

* Inactivity. If you're not very active, you don't burn as many calories. Unfortunately, today most adults spend most of their day sitting, whether at home, at work or during leisure activities. With a sedentary lifestyle, you can easily take in more calories every day than you burn off through exercise or normal daily activities. Watching too much television is one of the biggest contributors to a sedentary lifestyle and weight gain.
* Unhealthy diet and eating habits. Having a diet that's high in calories, eating fast food, skipping breakfast, eating most of your calories at night, consuming high-calorie drinks and eating oversized portions all contribute to weight gain.
* Pregnancy. During pregnancy a woman's weight necessarily increases. Some women find this weight difficult to lose after the baby is born. This weight gain may contribute to the development of obesity in women.
* Lack of sleep. Getting less than seven hours of sleep a night can cause changes in hormones that increase your appetite. You may also crave foods high in calories and carbohydrates, which can contribute to weight gain.
* Certain medications. Some medications can lead to weight gain if you don't compensate through diet or activity. These medications include some antidepressants, anti-seizure medications, diabetes medications, antipsychotic medications, steroids and beta blockers.
* Medical problems. Obesity can sometimes be traced to a medical cause, such as Prader-Willi syndrome, Cushing's syndrome, polycystic ovary syndrome, and other diseases and conditions. Some medical problems, such as arthritis, can lead to decreased activity, which may result in weight gain. A low metabolism is unlikely to cause obesity, as is having low thyroid function.

This source says nothing at all regarding sugar causing obesity. Overall poor eating habits does, but that includes other things besides eating just sugar. At any rate, the last thing I want to do is fight with people who make claims without citing sources. My main goal in creating this thread was to warn people about the possible side effects of sorbitol. That's really all I wanted to do. I'm getting wary of these debates and I'm getting pretty close to asking that the thread be closed. So, please can we just agree to disagree and move on...

Thank you.

Obesity: Causes - MayoClinic.com

Although there are genetic and hormonal influences on body weight, the bottom line is that obesity occurs when you take in more calories than you burn through exercise and normal daily activities. Your body stores these excess calories as fat. Obesity usually results from a combination of causes and contributing factors, including:Sugar allows the consumption of way more calories...don't eat it you get full easier = less intake of calories

* Inactivity. If you're not very active, you don't burn as many calories. So eat less then they will just be frail and weak not fat Unfortunately, today most adults spend most of their day sitting, whether at home, at work or during leisure activities. With a sedentary lifestyle, you can easily take in more calories every day than you burn off through exercise or normal daily activities. Watching too much television is one of the biggest contributors to a sedentary lifestyle and weight gain.
* Unhealthy diet and eating habits. Having a diet that's high in calories, eating fast food, skipping breakfast, eating most of your calories at night, consuming high-calorie drinks Sugars and eating oversized portionsSugar causing you to not realize you're full all contribute to weight gain.Sugar is easily the biggest factor in Poor eating habits
* Pregnancy. Plain and simple this is BS, my mom went Vegan with me and avoided most foods with any sort of chemicals GAINED 25 lbs, and was 7lbs over her weight after i was born. *I was a 10.5 lb baby* perfectly healthy. PREGNANCY IS AN EXCUSE, weight gain of course, Obeseity NO. During pregnancy a woman's weight necessarily increases. With my brother and sister she ate sweets, tons of carbs...and gained close to 70 lbs, that is NOT HEALTHY sorry mom lol but 70? they were 10 lb babies too so 10, maybe 10 -15 in amniotic fluid, and a lil body fat 10 lbs...that's 35...she gained double. Pregnancy is no reason to become obeseSome women find this weight difficult to lose after the baby is born. This weight gain may contribute to the development of obesity in women.
* Lack of sleep. Getting less than seven hours of sleep a night can cause changes in hormones that increase your appetite. You may also crave foods high in calories and carbohydratesmeaning craving sugary foods, which can contribute to weight gain.
* Certain medications. Some medications can lead to weight gain if you don't compensate through diet or activity. These medications include some antidepressants, anti-seizure medications, diabetes medications, antipsychotic medications, steroids and beta blockers.Not a common cause I said the biggest contributor to being overweight.
* Medical problems. Obesity can sometimes be traced to a medical cause, such as Prader-Willi syndrome, Cushing's syndrome, polycystic ovary syndrome, and other diseases and conditions. Some medical problems, such as arthritis, can lead to decreased activity, which may result in weight gain. A low metabolism is unlikely to cause obesity, as is having low thyroid function.Once again, i'm sure everyone thats heavier than they'd like would love to chalk it up to good ole' medical conditions...not the case. Diabetes..linked to excess sugar consumption.

Dude just stop...you said you don't want a debate yet you're going to play copy paste and like I said before THINKING, you get so much more out of something if you actually process what is written not just repeat it.

I do this for a living, I work with doctors, pick their brains and make sure I understand the Concepts behind what they say...I don't just REPEAT and have no clue as to the how or why.

I'm not trying to argue, and you're turning this into an argument trying so hard to prove im wrong...just take a moment and think that sugar/sugar substitutes are poisions and a lot worse than people assume. Our bodies are not designed to ingest that.

Point is, if SUGAR (processed, not naturally occuring fruit sugars etc.) were eliminated from the diet Not only would obeseity be easily cut in half but so would many medical ailments.

instead of running to dictionary.com or the mayo clinic try THINKING look at the countries that don't eat much sugar...THIN. I don't need to write a thesis paper on it...I COULD but that's not my goal here. if you don't agree that's fine...you have every right to your opinion but don't attempt to call me out and not expect an response.

can we be friends lol

I'll concede say sugars might not be the BIGGEST factor in being overweight

and you agree it's a large part of obesity and overall not good for anyone's health.

like i said my friend, i only posted something that I thought might be a benifit to everyone...

I learned something from you about sorbitol i didn't know...or the link
and I was appreciative of the info and thought I'd share some of my professional knowlege.

Sorry this kind of got into a war of who's right or wrong :)

Mods:

You can lock this thread now, please. I think the thread as served the purpose for which it was intended. I have no desire to debate people on the causes of obesity or anything else off topic.

Kidney failure
ketoacidosis

With that, I'm out.

Uncontrolled diabetes can lead to all of those things. However, one can consume a normal, high-carb diet, and have controlled diabetes IF they test their glucose regularly, and use multiple daily injections or an insulin pump to deliver basal/bolus doses of insulin. Likewise, one can have completely uncontrolled diabetes on a low carb diet, and they'll also be miserable because -human bodies need carbs-.

You are correct that diabetics on insulin need to -monitor- what they eat, as in, keep track of how many carbohydrates is in it. Not to restrict how many carbs they eat, but so that they can accurately dose their insulin.

There used to be a divide between what t1s ate and what nondiabetics ate because our injected insulins didn't work in the same way that nondiabetics produced insulin. Thanks to basal/bolus dosing, that is simply no longer the case: your pancreas is responsible for your insulin, mine comes from an insulin pen. Otherwise, our reactions to food are exactly the same: a cookie is as likely to kill me as it is to kill you.

Again, my last a1c was a kicking 5.6. Better than some nondiabetics! I'm at no greater risk of neuropathy or heart disease than you are.

You're not expressing an "opinion." You are attempting to express a statement of fact which is essentially wrong.

Mods:

You can lock this thread now, please. I think the thread as served the purpose for which it was intended. I have no desire to debate people on the causes of obesity or anything else off topic.

LOL then why did you start a debate?

that's as silly as saying I don't want to be seen in public wearing pink...when all you buy at the store is PINK SHIRTS!

you are the one who started a debate by saying im wrong about something you don't have any knowlege on except for what you copy paste.

Stick to forwarding articles that you think might be of interest to people. You're good at that and I found it interesting :)

wow and I even tried to drop it and be cool...you're a real character, only acknowledging something if you can turn it into an argument. You sure didn't comment on SPLENDA, or the negative Effects Sugar Substitutes have on natural appetite control.

but I guess every forum has a troll...I Appreciate the warm welcome :)
Im done in this thread. If anyone has any comments or wishes to discuss anything further with me related to this thread PM. im not posting in this one again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back