subtitles and TV

picnick99

Reaction score
Hi everybody

I am writing a piece for the Mail on Sunday about TV subtitles. Has anyone got any opinions I may be able to quotes. It's not just about the bloopers on the live subtitling, but the fact that the rise in the number of ways to watch TV - mobile apps, tablets, iPlayer, Video-on-Demand - often excludes the hard of hearing. And what about LoveFilm and Netflix - anyone have aythin to say abut their lack of subs? And what about being able to watch Corrers on ITV with subtitles, but if you watch it later on ITVplayer there's no subs!

Action on Hearing Loss are publishing a policy statement this week, so I'd love to get some grassroots opinions on the failures of the stations to keep up with new technology.

I got in touch with London Live to ask about their lack of subtitles and they said they were working on it. That's exactly what Now TV said in 2012 - and viewers are still waiting two years later!

Wirelessly posted

Tv has improved. Need to work on getting online content captioned
Does not help that Adobe is not supporting flash player on Android.

I almost never have a problem with Netflix. Sometimes they'll mess up a word or something but pretty much everything they have is captioned. I have a big problem using YouTube. If the person isn't looking at the screen (or is off screen) and I don't have my aids in I have no idea what's going on. The same goes for my job. We do a lot of video training and the videos aren't captioned so I miss a lot.

abbey layne

I almost never have a problem with Netflix. Sometimes they'll mess up a word or something but pretty much everything they have is captioned. I have a big problem using YouTube. If the person isn't looking at the screen (or is off screen) and I don't have my aids in I have no idea what's going on. The same goes for my job. We do a lot of video training and the videos aren't captioned so I miss a lot.

abbey layne

I don't like YouTube's automatic captions feature because most of the time, what is being translated is inaccurate and full of spelling errors. Nothing can replace a real human transcriber.

When it comes to DVDs, I always hope subtitles are available because the company that makes the DVDs spend money and time in captioning the film which results in accurate and quality captions.

YouTube is the absolute worst when it hasn't actually been transcribed. Sometimes the errors can be funny. But most of the time it's just highly inconvenient. And I use my phone more than my computer and it's nearly impossible to get captions on YouTube that way.

abbey layne

I don't like YouTube's automatic captions feature because most of the time, what is being translated is inaccurate and full of spelling errors. Nothing can replace a real human transcriber.

When it comes to DVDs, I always hope subtitles are available because the company that makes the DVDs spend money and time in captioning the film which results in accurate and quality captions.

Well, I discovered that if one has the right kind of equipment, there shouldn't be any problems. For example, the YouTube captioning on my old Windows XP laptop wasn't that great, but here on my Windows 8.1 device, it's pretty smooth, and no problems thus far.

Youtube is bonkers bad, alot of sites claim they have subs but the words never match what's being done on the screen. There are alot of shows that have delayed caps, and not just live shows (oy vey the live shows) but many serial tv shows cut to commercial in the middle of dialogue... so they all look like the old english dubbed Godzilla movies.

p.s. why is it so hard to find documentaries with subs?? aren't they supposed to be educational? do the educated think deaf people don't watch docs?

Back