substituting or is this what he hears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok cool

Does your son have a goal in his IEP relating to his articulation?

In his IEP it states he needs to count to 10, recognize and vocalize at least 10 letters of the alphabet, recognize and vocalize his color and shapes, have at least 100 word vocabulary by the end of the next school year.

My son’s hearing aids is giving him 25-30db meaning he’s hearing within the speech banana. So CI isn’t an option for him right now. The AuD believes he might be hearing better but is not responding by dropping the bear in the bucket unless he’s certain he hears something. To be totally honest, I’m relief that CI isn’t an option right at the moment. It’s confusing and a lot of decisions that has to be made as is to know he has hearing loss. To add CI/surgery just makes it overwhelming.

If he’s hearing at 25db then he’s only missing S, TH and F. So he should hear B, D, and G. I really feel giving him more time he would be able to articulate them. It’s just that his teacher got me worried. But then she probably has not had any kids who just got their hearing aids and started school the same week.

It's my understanding that only those with severe to profound loss qualify for them anyway. I could only hear at 40 dbs with my HAs before I got implanted.

I guess time is what he needs. From what I can see you seem to be a very supportive mom.

Wirelessly posted

dhn121 said:
I would say to make sure he can tell the difference between all the sounds (to do a discrimination task) when they're presented to him. Has your SLP tried any discrimination tasks with your son to make sure he actually hears the difference between "b" and "d" and "g"?

He can differentiate between "b" and "d" for sure. Because he does the "backing" like you said. He says "d" for "b" and "g" for "d". I’m not sure if he can differentiate between "d" and "g" because he makes the same "g" sound for both. So yes he hears the difference just not making the right phonics for each of letters.

how do you know he is hearing the difference? Has he had targeted speech discrimination testing that has consistantly shown that he hears the difference? With our kids it is very hard to guess what they hear unless we make sure and have the testing to show us, so we don't just assume and end up frustrating them because they don't understand.

Wirelessly posted

oh, and the "s" sound is the single most important sound in the english language. It carries the most meaning and changes words more than any other sound. It shows possessives as well as plurals. High frequencies carry only about 10% of the sound but 90% of the meaning.

it is a big deal not to hear the highs.

Wirelessly postedhow do you know he is hearing the difference? Has he had targeted speech discrimination testing that has consistantly shown that he hears the difference? With our kids it is very hard to guess what they hear unless we make sure and have the testing to show us, so we don't just assume and end up frustrating them because they don't understand.

I know he hears the difference because I say the "b", the "d", and the "g" seperatly. He repeats EVERYTHING right now. He's never gets them mixed up. Everytime I say "b" he makes the "d" sound. Everytime I make the "d" sound he makes the "g" sound. it's the "d" and "g" that I'm not sure because he makes the same "g" sound. He's 3 and only had his hearing aids on for 6 months. not sure how you would do a speech discrimination testing. I watch his mouth and it's the same movement. For the "b" he would make the "d" by opening his mouth and putting his tongue at the roof of his mouth.

In his IEP it states he needs to count to 10, recognize and vocalize at least 10 letters of the alphabet, recognize and vocalize his color and shapes, have at least 100 word vocabulary by the end of the next school year.

It sounds like this SLP you've been working with isn't meeting his needs. I'm a bit surprised he doesn't have any articulation/speech goals. It makes me wonder what the SLP is working on with him, as he doesn't have any articulation goals to work on.

I would strongly recommend you inquiring about this SLP's credentials and her experience with DHH children. From what I've read it seems like she is lacking the appropriate experience and understanding.

Especially given that this person was raising her voice at your son!! Totally inappropriate. I'd encourage you to send an email to the district rep documenting that incident (and other areas of concern) and request her credentials and experience.

I’ve been told AVT really help them to tune in on their listening skills. Plus his old SLP just moved. His new SLP seems so young and doesn’t seem to know how to deal with my son. She’s been with the company for 3 years but on our 1st session she seems to be yelling at him. I had to ask her to lower her voice a couple of times. At the end of the session I just told her the reason he’s wearing hearing aids is so you don’t have to yell. Not sure if she’s never worked with kids that are hoh or what. The AVT I’m seeking out comes highly recommended. Also was told AVT will teach me how to help my son vs right now the SLP just works with him and has asked that I not be in the room as I “distract” him.

I’m not giving up on signing. I sign with him. He has picked up maybe a dozen signs that we do. But I’ve also noticed
that my other kids signs with him and as soon as they understand what he wants they get it for him without getting him to say/speak his wants/needs.

Your child will be "listening" the best he can whether he is working with an AVT or a SLP. Proponents of AVT will say that this will best prepare your child for society and the mainstream setting. If mainstreaming is your goal, it can be achieved with a good SLP.

Also, the SLP can and should give you tricks and hints to continue helping your child at home. Any good SLP would do it, you just have to ask. The SLP's my son has worked with have always been willing to share information with me to assist my son with what he needs. Of course there are good SLP's and some not so good. That's why if you're feeling like this person has an obvious misunderstanding of deafness and your Childs needs you should seek out a different one through the district.

I would strongly caution you with regards to the AVT. Once your child has a clear understanding of what sound "b" makes for example you can give him the cue if he's not hearing it. AVT forces a deaf child to "listen" when in all reality they may not be "hearing" the sound or word. AVT doesn't make them hear it, it simply takes away the visual that could be used to inform them what word or sound is being used.

A good SLP will work with your son, teach him appropriate mouth and tongue placement to elicit proper articulation.

It's the same for young children with full hearing. So at this point, I guess it's safe to say you can't tell. My son is six and he still says "fruit rolluvs" instead of "Fruit RollUps" and "thingers" for "fingers". His hearing is fine. He also spells "Grandpa" like how he says it: "Krampa". His articulation improves the more he reads. :)
You have a point. Cause there were times that I did see when an hearing adult asked another hearing parent what their hearing child said cause of their "children's" accent.

One other thing to encourage language development with him is to wait for him to say the word or do the sign before he gets what he wants. If you know he wants the ball, encourage him to say ball and do the sign. You can also model the sign and say the word for him to help him. He may not do the sign exactly correct, but that's okay. A sign approximation is just as good at this point.

Sounds like you're on top of things... Good luck with it, and don't worry... Over time he will get to where he needs to be.

My little brother said "pupcakes" instead of "cupcakes" for the longest time. My niece called my son "Doodie" because she couldn't say "Judah".

Does he talk a lot? I noticed that once my son really started "talking" - and I mean telling me full blown stories about what happened to him that day - his child accent decreased. He had a friend who was extremely chatty and bright for four years old. They were the same age. I worried he was behind because he didn't articulate the way she did, but now they're on par two years later.

So hard to tell at this point. Just keep doing what you're doing and make sure you have a good SLP. Remember, language disorders in children can usually be "grown out" of.

Wirelessly posted

there are developmental charts that show the natural development of sounds in a speaking child. A deaf child should develop them in the same developmental order, just sometimes starting later!

vowels are first, then i think "b" and "d"...i'll try to find a link for one...

In the mean time continuing to incorporate sign into your every day routine will only benefit your child. Studies have shown that the use of sign language actually helps with the speech and articulation.

My son's 1st language was sign. While his primary language is now English, when he has trouble saying something, I always sign the letter he needs to correct as I pronounce the word. This has been more helpful to him than me just repeating the word.

Right now, though, we can't convince him about a cartoon, that it's "Phineas & Ferb" not "Phineas & Bird." He hears bird, not ferb.

Wirelessly posted

oh, and the "s" sound is the single most important sound in the english language. It carries the most meaning and changes words more than any other sound. It shows possessives as well as plurals. High frequencies carry only about 10% of the sound but 90% of the meaning.

it is a big deal not to hear the highs.

He hears "s", I think. Today he said "kirkle" for "circle". So he must have heard the "s" for him to be substituting the "k" for the "s" right?

To be totally honest, I’m relief that CI isn’t an option right at the moment. It’s confusing and a lot of decisions that has to be made as is to know he has hearing loss. To add CI/surgery just makes it overwhelming.

If he’s hearing at 25db then he’s only missing S, TH and F. So he should hear B, D, and G. I really feel giving him more time he would be able to articulate them. It’s just that his teacher got me worried. But then she probably has not had any kids who just got their hearing aids and started school the same week.
But it's good that it might be an option for later on right?
It does sound like you need a SLP who is familiar with how to work with dhh kids, rather then opting for AVT. Most hoh kids (with residual hearing) already know how to use their residual hearing pretty well.

My little brother said "pupcakes" instead of "cupcakes" for the longest time. My niece called my son "Doodie" because she couldn't say "Judah".

Does he talk a lot? I noticed that once my son really started "talking" - and I mean telling me full blown stories about what happened to him that day - his child accent decreased. He had a friend who was extremely chatty and bright for four years old. They were the same age. I worried he was behind because he didn't articulate the way she did, but now they're on par two years later.

So hard to tell at this point. Just keep doing what you're doing and make sure you have a good SLP. Remember, language disorders in children can usually be "grown out" of.

My niece Amanda used to call her brother Jeffrey Jeffros and she'd call him Fros when she got mad at him when they were little.

My son's 1st language was sign. While his primary language is now English, when he has trouble saying something, I always sign the letter he needs to correct as I pronounce the word. This has been more helpful to him than me just repeating the word.

Right now, though, we can't convince him about a cartoon, that it's "Phineas & Ferb" not "Phineas & Bird." He hears bird, not ferb.

For the longest time, I thought the name Phineas was pronounced Piney. Nope :P. It's pronounced Fin-ne-as as in Fin (think fish fins)

I second teaching sign language. I'm late deafened and it would have been far easier to learn ASL as a child. I still have some hearing--my issue is being unable to hear speech. ASL helps me so much. :cool2:

Is it possible that this child is not hearing any sound for all of these consonants? The child may be filling in the blanks. That's how it is for me. I don't hear any sound for certain consonants so I must fill in the blanks. It's like constantly playing Wheel of Fortune--minus the fun parts like Vanna. lol The good news is that the child will be able to improve this skill as language acquisition occurs.

You're the mom and you know what your child needs more than anyone else. Follow your heart. Most of all, love your child. This time will pass too quickly. :aw:

I second this. Just for another viewpoint, a deaf child can learn to speak through totally visual means, such as lipreading and reading words and pictures. I did not have any hearing apparatus to learn to speak and I was raised in a hearing only, oral only environment (with me being the only one deaf). Although it takes immense effort from the child and long-suffering patience from the hearing parent, it can be done without any hearing apparatus. Having access to sign language would make it so much easier (something I was not afforded when young, at no fault of my family, and that is my one regret). As an added bonus, it is very cost effective - no therapy sessions, no expensive doctors bills, just good quality one on one time with Mom and other family members.

I second this. Just for another viewpoint, a deaf child can learn to speak through totally visual means, such as lipreading and reading words and pictures. I did not have any hearing apparatus to learn to speak and I was raised in a hearing only, oral only environment (with me being the only one deaf). Although it takes immense effort from the child and long-suffering patience from the hearing parent, it can be done without any hearing apparatus. Having access to sign language would make it so much easier (something I was not afforded when young, at no fault of my family, and that is my one regret). As an added bonus, it is very cost effective - no therapy sessions, no expensive doctors bills, just good quality one on one time with Mom and other family members.

That isn't the case here. I've learned to do the ling test from sitting behind him. I've added the b,d, and g sound just to see if he would make the sounds. Before he was not responding to the "s" sound but this past week I noticed that he is responding to it. Not sure if it has anything to with our last AuD visit (She told me she only adjusted the lower frequency amp) or if he's just tuning into the "s" sound. If that's even possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back