substituting or is this what he hears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She, like countless other, myself included, has seen and experienced a lot of issues regarding that. She, like countless other's of us, feel that a Bi-Bi school would be better. She, like countless others of us, myself included, were raised in an oral only environment. She got lucky and leaned ASL a lot earlier than I did. I have at least 10 years on her in my age and am still trying to learn.

All Shel and countless others of us are saying, Do Not Put a Deaf Child In An Oral Only School. What happens if down the road, after that child grows up and there are problems with their CI or something like that. Heaven forbid, they end up like me and are total deaf with no HA or CI able to help. then, it would be a massive benefit if they knew ASL or their country's sign as a back-up. We have a child in my Deaf church, who is 3. She is total deaf. Like me, no CI or HA will help her at all. Do you think that child should go the oral route? No, she should and will be going with a Bi-Bi approach. She starts this next Fall at FSDB. Her family is moving up there. Turns out, her baby sister is also deaf and mom is expecting another.

he doesnt know what it is like as he had ASL growing up. He has no idea just like hearing parents have no idea.

At least people like PFH, Jillio, AlleyCat do try to understand what it is like to be in our shoes even though they werent subjected to these kinds of struggles liek we were.

She not only doesn't support it, she wants to take it away as an option.

Which is waaaaay more than any parent here has ever said. Can you imagine if someone came in here and said that ASL should be outlawed and all Deaf schools should be closed down :shock:

There are what? 4 or 5 hearing parents who post here regularly. We are talking about ALL hearing parents. There is one father from Norway who thinks his daughter does not need ASL or deaf friends and make no effort whatsoever. Apparently visiting her grandmother is more important than having her deaf side recognized and respected.

You are clearly being selective and obtuse. I am still suspicious there's something you're not telling us about yourself, and/or your background. Your parents, why did they implant you and put you in oral? Did they go to deaf schools? Are they implanted themselves? Why? or why not?

Shel, This guy is just trolling you to get you. He is wasting his time trying to convince himself and others by twisting your words. People that have been here for a long time knows you support the full toolbox approach.

Yes. I say we stop feeding this troll. All of us who have been here for years know what we stand behind.

You can't? I didn't learn to hear or speak better in a hearing school. All I would hear were mumbled voices - believe me, it did nothing to help me learn to speak or understand better. I learned to speak via therapy sessions and by being constantly corrected by not only both of my parents but also by my three sisters and one brother.

One learns to speak via therapy. None of my teachers or classmates taught me a single thing about speech or lipreading. Anyone who claims otherwise is ignorant.

Exactly. I learned the same way as you.

You can't? I didn't learn to hear or speak better in a hearing school. All I would hear were mumbled voices - believe me, it did nothing to help me learn to speak or understand better. I learned to speak via therapy sessions and by being constantly corrected by not only both of my parents but also by my three sisters and one brother.

One learns to speak via therapy. None of my teachers or classmates taught me a single thing about speech or lipreading. Anyone who claims otherwise is ignorant.

It was the same for me despite having a bilateral severe profound loss of 120 dB. I can use English in the spoken form with ease but it was the receptive part that was where I was put at a disadvantage among my hearing peers. ASL doesnt do that to me.

Shel, This guy is just trolling you to get you. He is wasting his time trying to convince himself and others by twisting your words. People that have been here for a long time knows you support the full toolbox approach.

Yea, thanks for stopping me. :hugs:

There has been many who has done that who have gone to Deaf schools or used ASL at school...mannnnnyyyyy.

Pls do not say you are one of those who believes that ASL interferes with one's ability to use speech.

Also, my deaf brother has no speech skills and he is doing fine just as many others are.

it is about empowering them as deaf children, not treating them as "broken" hearing children.

What interferes with someones ability to learn spoken language is not having access to that language and opportunity to learn it. Not signing. But here is the catch, if the child is in a signing environment 24 hours a day, when and where do they learn spoken language? And no, I don't mean speech. I mean the ability to communicate in and understand the language. You can learn to speak as a skill, but I am talking about the language of English, receptively and expressively.

She, like countless other, myself included, has seen and experienced a lot of issues regarding that. She, like countless other's of us, feel that a Bi-Bi school would be better. She, like countless others of us, myself included, were raised in an oral only environment. She got lucky and leaned ASL a lot earlier than I did. I have at least 10 years on her in my age and am still trying to learn.

All Shel and countless others of us are saying, Do Not Put a Deaf Child In An Oral Only School. What happens if down the road, after that child grows up and there are problems with their CI or something like that. Heaven forbid, they end up like me and are total deaf with no HA or CI able to help. then, it would be a massive benefit if they knew ASL or their country's sign as a back-up. We have a child in my Deaf church, who is 3. She is total deaf. Like me, no CI or HA will help her at all. Do you think that child should go the oral route? No, she should and will be going with a Bi-Bi approach. She starts this next Fall at FSDB. Her family is moving up there. Turns out, her baby sister is also deaf and mom is expecting another.

I am not saying that all deaf kids should be oral, where are you getting that? I am saying that parents know their children and should make educated decisions about what environment is best for that individual child. And, I am also saying that their choices shouldn't be limited.

Keep up with many deaf children struggling with being mainstreamed and falling behind. Nice future vision for many.

Giving them both wont do that.

You still say that I want the ASL only route. Are you that dense? AlleyCat bolded it in loud colors for you.

Then answer when and how they can learn a language that is never used around them?

If I woke up tomorrow and wanted to learn BSL, do you think I could do it by hanging out with ASL users? Of course not. I need to find BSL users, and be immersed in the language. It is the same thing for ANY language.

Wirelessly posted

his loss is enough for a CI, especially if he is not gaining spoken language at the appropriate rate (which is considered greater than one years progress in one years time).

Only at 25 to 30 DB????? Now you are scaring me. You are a very impatient person. You want things done right and up to the par fast. You would make a rash decision like that.

Let me flip that around. Suppose there is such as an ASL implant and suppose I have a 3 years old kid. If I didn't feel that his ASL is up to the par, is it okay if I rush the kid to the hospital for the ASL implantation? Why not? I want the kid to communicate me without any barrier! Me! Me! Me! That is what I am hearing you when you made that post.

What interferes with someones ability to learn spoken language is not having access to that language and opportunity to learn it. Not signing. But here is the catch, if the child is in a signing environment 24 hours a day, when and where do they learn spoken language? And no, I don't mean speech. I mean the ability to communicate in and understand the language. You can learn to speak as a skill, but I am talking about the language of English, receptively and expressively.

oh god. you're the most dense poster I've come across here on AD in a long time.

what I meant is, right now, the professionals (AuD and speech therapist) is telling me wait, give him time to adjust to his hearing aids. this is the normal process and that his articulation will get caught up. even though his hearing loss in the 4000hz is in the 120db unaided. aided he still doesn't have access to the "s", "f", "sh"...etc...sound. Is that right? So what I meant is, should I wait like they suggest or should I find ways to push for the CI since we know he doesn't have access to the sound in the 4000hz in his right ear even aided. They're saying his right ear hears in the 25-30db in those frequencies and that's good enough.

Listen to the professionals. The thing that really counts around this age isn't how well a kid can articulate, but rather their spoken LANGUAGE. It takes time for HEARING kids to learn to articulate well.Heck, many of us here were still learning to speak clearly when we were toddlers. I wouldn't worry all that much about not being able to hear certain sounds. ..He can fill in the blanks with speechreading etc.......the key is his language!

Only at 25 to 30 DB????? Now you are scaring me. You are a very impatient person. You want things done right and up to the par fast. You would make a rash decision like that.

Let me flip that around. Suppose there is such as an ASL implant and suppose I have a 3 years old kid. If I didn't feel that his ASL is up to the par, is it okay if I rush the kid to the hospital for the ASL implantation? Why not? I want the kid to communicate me without any barrier! Me! Me! Me! That is what I am hearing you when you made that post.

Yes. A 3 YO without any language? That's an emergency. Get language to that child immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back