substituting or is this what he hears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are quoting the results of a patient who received an early cochlear implant-like prototype in 1958:
"Djourno found another surgeon, Roger Maspétiol, who implanted a second patient in 1958. Although these recipients were unable to understand speech with the device alone, it helped with lipreading by providing the rhythm of the speech."

Yes. A 3 YO without any language? That's an emergency. Get language to that child immediately.

My 3 year old did not have any language. She was 5 before she spoke any clear words and 7 before a full sentence came up. She does have a hearing loss. We did not rush out for anything. We just worked patiently with her and she went to speech therapy both in school and outside of school. She's now 17, and speaks very well. She still slips into bad habits with her speech delays, but I am thankful I did not rush into anything.

what I meant is, right now, the professionals (AuD and speech therapist) is telling me wait, give him time to adjust to his hearing aids. this is the normal process and that his articulation will get caught up. even though his hearing loss in the 4000hz is in the 120db unaided. aided he still doesn't have access to the "s", "f", "sh"...etc...sound. Is that right? So what I meant is, should I wait like they suggest or should I find ways to push for the CI since we know he doesn't have access to the sound in the 4000hz in his right ear even aided. They're saying his right ear hears in the 25-30db in those frequencies and that's good enough.

Probably at least part of the reason that neither professional is suggesting that you implant your son now is because results are varied and not guaranteed.

Some people who get a CI do very well. Some just do slightly better and there are some failures. I knew someone who got two implants and both completely failed. They didn't even work for one day. (I don't recall what the reason was.) There are no guaranteed results.

In a very plausible scenario if your son received an implant now, he could end up with less usable hearing after the operation and tuning of the CI. Then it would be even more difficult for him to hear speech and learn how to enunciate well.

That is probably why you are being advised to wait.

congnitive he's either at or above 4 year level. expressive language he's at a 3 year old level. articulation he's at 2 year level. he can count and recognize his numbers up to 5. he knows 1/3 of his alphabet. he knows most of his shapes (not oval or rectangle).

he is follow 2 step commands. with 3 kids I can't always get down to his level and speak to him. so even when I'm standing more than an arms lenghts, I can tell him to do something and he'll do it (without visual cues). He keeps up with his brother and sister. I usually give each of them different things to do so that we can get things done.

in 1 year he's gained a lot. he went from having just 2 or 4 words expressively to over 300 words. he askes "where", "what" and "how" on a regular basis. he's stringing 2 to 3 words together. Is making short complete sentences.

I guess what i'm trying to understand is why wouldn't they implant him if he has no access to the 4000 hz. even aided he has no access to it. so why wouldn't they implant him. what is the reason behind it.

Again, just give it time. He is at a three year old level (being four years old) with language, which is the important part. And his receptive is OK right? You have to understand that NO hearing aid or CI can give absolutly perfect on par with a hearing kid hearing. They can only give 2 dimenstional hearing as opposed to 3 dimenstional. The reason why they won't implant is b/c they are looking at LANGAUGE, not speech. I think you're thinking that if he gets a CI, his speech will be perfect. Hoh kids (including kids with mild losses) still have significent speech issues. Heck, many of us are still in speech therapy in elementary or even high school!

I tried the total communiction class but the teacher in that class seems to sign more than speak. most of the kids in that class sign as a main form of communication. I really want to give him as much access to speech as he can get right now. in the total communication class there are 6 kids. in the oral class there are 3 kids and their focus is on speech. they're older than him by 1 year so he gets a lot to model after in the oral class. he picks up a lot of sign with me and does so very quickly. we both learn together. I know he would pick up so much more if he was in the total communication class. I know he'll get/pick up sign without any problem. I just want to focus more on speech than sign because I know he tends to sign rather than speak even at home because it's easier to do so.

Can you do something like have him attend both classes? I DO agree he would benifit from attending a spoken language class. Like if he was at a good Deaf School, he would have access to a really good spoken language class. But by adding time in the TC class, he could work on his signancy and concentrate more on content and actually learning stuff!

Can you do something like have him attend both classes? I DO agree he would benifit from attending a spoken language class. Like if he was at a good Deaf School, he would have access to a really good spoken language class. But by adding time in the TC class, he could work on his signancy and concentrate more on content and actually learning stuff!

And you can see which he prefers!

Yes. A 3 YO without any language? That's an emergency. Get language to that child immediately.

Yes it absolutely is. That is brought up have over and over about the dangers of language delays to the future functioning of the person.

Any language is a good thing, spoken and ASL on an equal playing field, depending upon which one or both the child is able to access.

Everyone told me there's no reason he couldn't speak and be a part of everything and be caught up. He still had plenty of time.

Sorry but oral kids are not fully a part of the hearing world. We have SOME access yes.......but we cannot fully be a part of the hearing world. We're not hearing, we're HOH. There's still so much sutff we miss out on.......Yes, a lot of trained orally kids can function well in controlled settings......but real life is not a soundbooth with easy to understand speech!

I dont use her daughter against her...using my daughter against me after all the trauma I went through with her. That is SICK.

But yet you applaud others who attempt to use my daughter against me. How does it feel?

And you can see which he prefers!

I think she said that he's really interested in and has picked up ASL. I actually don't think this is too bad of a way to educate a kid who doesn't have really severe spoken language issues.......There are going to be kids who don't have severe or profound spoken language issues but they are still going to have to deal with Hoh delays and issues, especially as things get more sophisciated.......

I guess as Cloggy says that unless you address the internet lie within 24 hours it becomes the truth. So since Alley Cat and PFH continue to issue misinformation about my daughter with Shel90 applauding them, I have no choice but to address their misinformation and the sick but hypocritical applauding of it by Shel.

My daughter, who is almost 25, has a Masters Degree, lives at home (in order to save money for an apartment) and is working, knows ASL. Why, does she now know ASL, because when she was in college I suggested that she take a course in ASL as it would not only fullfill a core requirement for her degree but I told her that she might find it interesting and useful as she knows many deaf people her age. She took that course and I believe two others and has learned the language. This was not the first time we suggested to her that she take an ASL course BTW.

Today, she still uses spoken English as her primary mode of communication and has a group of friends who like her are oral and they talk to each other, however she and they also know others who do not have the same level of oral skills that they do and when she is with them, she can now communicate with them in ASL.

So there it is, I was the reason behind her at least initially learning ASL but she stuck with it and uses it when necessary but she is still oral. Sorry to disappoint all of you haters of children with cis and their parents but thankfully she does not fit into your closed minded view of how a deaf person should act.

Grendel and deafguy25 I have enjoyed your posts BTW.

Rick

Last edited:

I am speaking of a hearing child who is lousy in ASL....Yeah I would have the child ASL-implanted. If the child became ill from meningitis and died, that is one less child I would have to cope with. Do I sound harsh? That is the vibes I am getting from the hearing community who think that every deaf child ought to be implanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back