Stupid question about SSI/SSDI

sabasushi2

Somewhere in Houston, TX
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you draw SSI or SSDI payments, are you supposed to pay tax on it? I know it's a stupid question, but hey, I lead a sheltered life.... :)

Very simple answer, no. It's because the money on the SSI and SSDI paychecks are come from government who took care of the taxes.

Very simple answer, no. It's because the money on the SSI and SSDI paychecks are come from government who took care of the taxes.

to be honest not always a NO..

it depends how much you earn from your SSI and SSDI... with other incomes too...

Social Security is taxable...you will have to pay its federal tax if you work part time and receiving SSD at the same time...

No problemo :)

If you work and have SSI, then yes. But if you don't work and have SSI, no tax, like Restless_Heart said.

That is right, but if you have a partner's income, it is still taxable if you receive SSD. It is either way. The only way you could try to get your income back is asking your boss to take extra out of your pay like, 30 dollars out of your pay with your federal tax withheld. It worked for me in the past. So that way I wont have to pay too much money, and still get some back since SSD is taxable.

No problemo :)

If you work and have SSI, then yes. But if you don't work and have SSI, no tax, like Restless_Heart said.
u're right.. but not only job.. its also other income such as long-term disability payment, investment,inheritance, royalty, etc etc.. then you have to pay taxes and the IRS also want you to include SSDI,SSI in it if you earn those i listed.. there's also more incomes but those are the major incomes..

Back