Studying Abroad

shezzbeav

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm a student at Griffith University, and at the moment, my GPA isn't looking too pretty right now. I hope to bring it back up to at least 5.0 at the end of next year so I can be eligible to study abroad for a semester or two.

I am doing Bachelor of Education - Special Education, majoring in Hearing Impairment. I'm in my 2nd year this year.

I've been thinking about studying abroad for a semester or two in approx 2 years time.

Is there any universities with a good Education program (School of Education, or something like that) you would recommend?

I'm a student at Griffith University, and at the moment, my GPA isn't looking too pretty right now. I hope to bring it back up to at least 5.0 at the end of next year so I can be eligible to study abroad for a semester or two.

I am doing Bachelor of Education - Special Education, majoring in Hearing Impairment. I'm in my 2nd year this year.

I've been thinking about studying abroad for a semester or two in approx 2 years time.

Is there any universities with a good Education program (School of Education, or something like that) you would recommend?

If you want to be in the heart of the newest research and techniques for elementary education for the deaf, you might want to try Gally.

I'd love to go to Gally, but it's SO expensive just for ONE year :shock:

I'd love to go to Gally, but it's SO expensive just for ONE year :shock:

Have you contacted them about perhaps interning in return for your tuition? Their study abroad office might be able to give you some solutions to the financial issues.

Gallaudet University does not provide financial assistance for first-year international students. First-year international students are not allowed to use on-campus employment as proof of financial support

That was from the Gally website. Sucks eh.

Shezzbeav is from Australia and it is impossible for you to get into gally with any sort of money schitt that can take you there, unless there was. What about the other universities across australia?

By that saying from Gally site, that is a rip off - tight ass. (pointing to gally)

That was from the Gally website. Sucks eh.

Ah, that would be if you were transferring to Gally to become a full time student seeking to begin and complete their degree. But I interpreted your question to refer to study abroad, which means that you would still be a student of record at your Uni in Australia, but would be attending an American university under an exchange program. My university calls this their "study abroad" program. It provides students the opportunity to study their major in a different country to gain a wider perspective. Study abroad exchange students don't have the same restrictions as international students.

I'd suggest that you shoot off an email to the study abroad program at Gally, and also to the head of the Education Dept. telling them what you would like to do. You might be surprised at how they could help you achieve that.

Yeah. Thanks jillio :) I most definitely will send off an email to Gally people, and see what they can do. Also, will send an email to Griffith Uni.

Jake, I want to experience a semester or two studying in another country, and learn about their education, culture, life, people and so on. Another university in Australia wouldn't give me that.

Oh, I must have misunderstood this thread -- I must be wrong.

Jillio, I have tried that part --fail.

Yeah. Thanks jillio :) I most definitely will send off an email to Gally people, and see what they can do. Also, will send an email to Griffith Uni.

Jake, I want to experience a semester or two studying in another country, and learn about their education, culture, life, people and so on. Another university in Australia wouldn't give me that.

YW! Keep us informed on your progress. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. If I can be of further help, let me know.

I just checked with Griffith's exchange program and I discovered that Griffith is affiliated with CSUN - I have met a Deaf man who was on exchange last year at Griffith from CSUN.

Is CSUN any good? Anyone here went to CSUN? Worth it?

I just checked with Griffith's exchange program and I discovered that Griffith is affiliated with CSUN - I have met a Deaf man who was on exchange last year at Griffith from CSUN.

Is CSUN any good? Anyone here went to CSUN? Worth it?

I'd say it would definately be worth it to gain a multi-cultural perspective. CSUN actually has a very good program, and they are involved in much deaf educational research.

Thanks jillio :) You've been helpful.

My CSUNian friend is coming over here next month, so I'll be grilling him about CSUN :D

I've been looking at the CSUN website, and I've been getting really good gut feelings about it - it tells me that I should go there on exchange, so I'll have a look into it.

I have to bring my GPA back up to 4.5 by the end of next year to be eligible for the exchange program.

Thanks jillio :) You've been helpful.

My CSUNian friend is coming over here next month, so I'll be grilling him about CSUN :D

I've been looking at the CSUN website, and I've been getting really good gut feelings about it - it tells me that I should go there on exchange, so I'll have a look into it.

I have to bring my GPA back up to 4.5 by the end of next year to be eligible for the exchange program.

That's is wonderful. You'll be able to get a personal perspective from him.

In the states, we grade on a 4.0 scale. I'm not sure what the equivilent of a 4.5 would be to our scale, but I would like to know how to make the conversion in case it ever comes up in my work with deaf students. For us, 4.0-3.01 is an A (excellent), 3.0-2.01 is a B (above average), 2.0-1.01 is a C (average), 1.0-.05 is a D(below average) and anything below is failing. Could you give me an idea of how the Australian scale compares?

Hi Shezz,
I hope you'll get to experience student exchange, wherever that is. I can assure you it'll be an awesome experience!

I had thought about going on student exchange thru uni, but didn't feel it was right for moi.

And I've had the privilege to go on a student exchange program for a year in high school.

Good luck!

Back