Studies: Bilateral Cochlear Implants Rock!.. Read on

Actually Hear Again, what I was trying to say is that it's hard to predict about the possible widespread use of bilaterals, b/c it's probaly going to be like the analog vs. digital debate. I think b/c things vary so much, that there will be a significent number of bilaterals, but it's not going to be VERY common. I think there will still be a significent number of folks who stick with a CI-ha combo.

The main arguments for bilateral CIs has to do with an improved quality of life meaning greater personal safety (one of the most important considerations for a second CI), improved speech discrimination in noise *and* being able to localize sound.

There may be plenty of unilateral CI users who perform well with one implant (more power to them! :)), but that doesn't mean those of us who would like two should be denied that choice. Besides, not everyone performs well with only one CI.

I would love if it if the employees of major insurance companies could spend a day (or better yet, a week) living with unilateral hearing. Perhaps they would have a better appreciation of the benefits of bilateral hearing. After all, we were born with two ears, right? :)

It is interesting to me that people keep bring up these so called benefits. Safety?!? Unless you have serious visual impairment issues, that isn't such an issue. Put this way, life is a risk *shrugs* Understanding speech in noisy environments?!? Depends on one's definition of noisy. I would put a wedding reception with music, big party, and other situation with lots of talkers in that category. Some can handle noise better than others. Sound localization?!? Way over subscribed and two CIs will not come close to normal hearing in this department. What is wrong with exercising some logic? Good for the brain :D I only point this out by way of putting all this in perspective...

Yes, I'm one of those unilateral CI types that is doing great with just one. I never had "two" ears to hear and I couldn't tell you if I'm missing anything ;) If one wants to do so (get a second CI), I say let 'em. Each to their own.

Unilateral hearing ain't so bad if you are used to it and people always had a way of compensating for their "deficiencies" as such. It isn't the end of the world...:whistle:

Lest I'd be misunderstood, I'm only pointing out that one needs to critically think why they want a second CI. The benefits are never anything close to what the first one gives you (not the same bang for the buck). If one still wants one after all that, I say go for it. Personally, there is no way I do it myself...I got what I wanted and more and that is good enough for me.

Yes, I'm one of those unilateral CI types that is doing great with just one. I never had "two" ears to hear and I couldn't tell you if I'm missing anything ;) If one wants to do so (get a second CI), I say let 'em. Each to their own.

Unilateral hearing ain't so bad if you are used to it and people always had a way of compensating for their "deficiencies" as such. It isn't the end of the world...:whistle:

Lest I'd be misunderstood, I'm only pointing out that one needs to critically think why they want a second CI.

If I'm not mistaken, you used to be hearing so you could understand speech normally and you didn't have any problems understanding speech at your CI activation? I understand this doesn't happen to the vast majority of people. I would understand latened deaf people like you being comfortable with just one CI.

Our son is learning to understand speech and he comes home worn out each afternoon trying to hear with only one "ear". Everyone agreed that if he could benefit from hearing aids, he'd be fitted with one on the other ear but alas he can't benefit from them at all. So, someday down the road if Marshall feels comfortable hearing with only one CI, then more power to him.

:) I can honestly say we've thoroughly and critically thought this out for Marshall.

If I'm not mistaken, you used to be hearing so you could understand speech normally and you didn't have any problems understanding speech at your CI activation? I understand this doesn't happen to the vast majority of people. I would understand latened deaf people like you being comfortable with just one CI.

Our son is learning to understand speech and he comes home worn out each afternoon trying to hear with only one "ear". Everyone agreed that if he could benefit from hearing aids, he'd be fitted with one on the other ear but alas he can't benefit from them at all. So, someday down the road if Marshall feels comfortable hearing with only one CI, then more power to him.

:) I can honestly say we've thoroughly and critically thought this out for Marshall.

Er, late deafened...no I was never that but I have always been HOH (maybe that is a matter of semantics ;) ). As I said in my "monologue", I never heard in my left ear either and so I have no idea what it is like to hear with two ears. I'm very used to the concept of being a "one ear bandit" :D I agree what I did with my hookup from day 1 was unusual in the context what others have experienced here and elsewhere (I do know three other people with CIs and one of them is bilateral...long before the term became fashionable [long story in of itself]).

Actually, I would think any late deafened person (my definition is somebody who was normal hearing after acquiring speech and then later lost their hearing) who heard with two ears would prefer two CIs to get "back" some sense of what they used to have. To me that would be a normal desire for them. Heck, I can even understand most people desires in that direction.

I was just trying to bring a perspective into the issue that sometimes gets overlooked "Do I really need a second CI or not?". Will the benefits actually be great enough to justify it? That is why I couldn't go through with it for myself when I am doing so great with one CI. It just wasn't worth it to me and the extra "hassles" (fighting the insurance company, surgery again, doubling the cost factors, and etc).

What people ultimately decide is their business and more power to them. Don't let be said that I would stand in the way. I just like to make sure that people think about these things through and through. How you are approaching Marshall is great and whatever you decide for him will be in his best interest.

I missed that part in your previous post lol. You're blessed with how your brain "reads" sounds :)

My daughter is from the same cloth so she still has plenty of room to explore with her hearing aids. She's wearing the "old technology" analog hearing aids. I hope she doesn't lose hearing like you did later on... *knocks on wood* Wait, did you ever wear hearing aids?

But I agree that it depends on the individuals' unique needs and how their brain responds to sound input. We all are obviously created differently and our special needs are met with different answers :D Some are blessed and some aren't.

I missed that part in your previous post lol. You're blessed with how your brain "reads" sounds :)

My daughter is from the same cloth so she still has plenty of room to explore with her hearing aids. She's wearing the "old technology" analog hearing aids. I hope she doesn't lose hearing like you did later on... *knocks on wood* Wait, did you ever wear hearing aids?

But I agree that it depends on the individuals' unique needs and how their brain responds to sound input. We all are obviously created differently and our special needs are met with different answers :D Some are blessed and some aren't.

No problem. Yea, I wore a HA since I was 3 yrs old (total of 44 yrs). I have no idea why I do so well with speech especially hearing it. I guess one takes their blessings...and be very thankful for them.

deafdyke and sr171soars,

I agree with everything you've said and as I stated in a previous post, for those who are happy with one CI, more power to you! :)

The reasons why I chose a CI were related to my own particular situation. I'm totally blind, so (as sr171soars mentioned) personal safety and the ability to localize sound are important.

If it were not for the fact that I was blind, I probably would not have elected to receive a second CI. Heck, even after my first CI was activated, I used a HA for as long as I could before it no longer provided any benefit.

At any rate sr171soars, I'm glad you're enjoying your CI :) and thank you deafdyke for clarifying your position. :)

Hear Again

Left ear - Nucleus 24 Contour Advance with 3G
Implanted: 12/22/04 Activated: 1/18/05

Right ear - Nucleus Freedom
Implanted: 2/1/06 Activated: 3/1/06

They usually give you a choice of which ear to implant. When Lilly was implanted, both ears (profound) scored very poorly on hearing test. The Dr. told me that he wanted to implant the rightr ear due to the way the brain is wired. He told me that the time it took for noise to travel to the brain, and be recognized by the brain took a fraction of a second shorter in the right ear, than it does for the left ear. Due to this, he said Lilly would fare better with the CI in her right ear.

Back on topic of bilateral CI, I filled out the new insurance info. As of DEC. 1, my insurance will cover Lilly getting her other ear implanted!!!!!!!!!

sr171soars,

I wanted to make an additional comment regarding your post.

I know several sighted CI users who think that personal safety *is* a valid concern for those who have one CI. For instance, one of them nearly got hit by a truck she didn't hear backing out of a driveway. One might argue that if this person had been more aware of her surroundings this wouldn't have happened, but the truth is, we can't always be aware of *everything*.

I also know another CI user who works in a very loud factory. One day she was almost injured because she walked right into the path of a loading truck that she didn't hear or see.

From the CI users I know who are bilateral, all of them have thought the whole process through by talking to their surgeons and audis -- and coming to the various CI forums to ask questions about whether or not they should proceed with a second CI. While there are exceptions, I really think the majority of people who consider a second CI make sure to gather as much information as possible before doing so.

Hear Again

Lilys dad,

That's wonderful news!! Congratulations!! :)

Hear Again

For bilateral CI, How about mapping at same sensitivity, such as 20 on right ear and 22 on left ear with different volume. If CI would developing new digital without volume control then mapping on same sensitivity in both of ears.

For bilateral CI, How about mapping at same sensitivity, such as 20 on right ear and 22 on left ear with different volume. If CI would developing new digital without volume control then mapping on same sensitivity in both of ears.

Uh...sensitivity is only up to 20...

:roll:

Frag and Lilysdad, maybe ask your kids if they want another CI. I really think that even little kids can help out in the decision making process.
Hear Again, are those bilateral CI'd folks late deafened or early deafened? I really think that a lot of late deafened folks may need bilateral b/c they've never learned how to compensate the way someone who's always been dhh would have.

deafdyke,

You're probably right. :)

The bilateral CI users I know are all postlingual, so they've become accustomed to hearing with two ears. Many of them had normal hearing before they became severely hard of hearing or profoundly deaf. Others were diagnosed with a mild hearing loss during their childhood or teens, but didn't experience profound hearing loss until their 20's, 30's or later.

Hear Again

Frag and Lilysdad, maybe ask your kids if they want another CI. I really think that even little kids can help out in the decision making process.
Hear Again, are those bilateral CI'd folks late deafened or early deafened? I really think that a lot of late deafened folks may need bilateral b/c they've never learned how to compensate the way someone who's always been dhh would have.

What about deaf people that are used to 2 hearing aids?

My friend who was born prof deaf recently went bilateral because she felt unbalanced with just one CI and she is really pleased with her results so far. She found that the first CI dominated her other ear and made it sound distorted.

I think bilateral is a matter for the individual and we should not be dogmatic about who should or should not receive one.

I'm glad to see that more insurance companies are covering it.

She found that the first CI dominated her other ear and made it sound distorted.

This is what happened to me as well. After 6 months of using a HA in my nonimplanted ear, I became increasingly aware of the distortion and weak signal it provided. My CI was *much* clearer than my HA and it became apparant that my HA was no longer helping me hear binaurally the way it used to. The HA also tended to interfere with my speech discrimination. When I was evaluated for a second CI, my speech discrimination scores were better with the CI alone than with the CI and HA together.

Hear Again

sr171soars,

I wanted to make an additional comment regarding your post.

I know several sighted CI users who think that personal safety *is* a valid concern for those who have one CI. For instance, one of them nearly got hit by a truck she didn't hear backing out of a driveway. One might argue that if this person had been more aware of her surroundings this wouldn't have happened, but the truth is, we can't always be aware of *everything*.

I also know another CI user who works in a very loud factory. One day she was almost injured because she walked right into the path of a loading truck that she didn't hear or see.

That was partially my point. Would it have really mattered even if they had a second CI? I mean we hear the stories of hearing folks getting hit or injured when one would have thought they would have heard something.

I do agree that a 2nd CI can give good benefits but it would be more in the line of communications not in awareness of surroundings. Some people are always aware of their surroundings no matter what and others couldn't buy a clue if their life depended on it (irrespective of having all senses or lack thereof).

From the CI users I know who are bilateral, all of them have thought the whole process through by talking to their surgeons and audis -- and coming to the various CI forums to ask questions about whether or not they should proceed with a second CI. While there are exceptions, I really think the majority of people who consider a second CI make sure to gather as much information as possible before doing so.

I would tend to agree with you that most do think of the pros and cons. Having surgery will force some semblence of reality into anybody. Again, I'm not arguing over what people decide for themselve but rather trying to get people to determine whether it is a need or a want. That is what it all boiled down to for me...it was not a need. Put another way, I was content with having one CI.

I have posted a few messages about Marshall indicating that he'd like a second CI. This is not an issue of my children being an "oral deaf person". It is an issue of my children gaining the ability to communicate with anyone, anywhere and anytime.

To everyone: I'm sorry I was so blind to this... I used to be like those Gallaudet protestors but through my love for my wife and children along with living in the "real" world, I've grown up so much. It's not a terrible thing to have the ability to communicate with theworld. It's silly when the deaf people think you're embarassed to be deaf or that you're "oral" and all those things. It's just silly. And uneducated.

Thank you for riling me up :D

That was partially my point. Would it have really mattered even if they had a second CI? I mean we hear the stories of hearing folks getting hit or injured when one would have thought they would have heard something.

If you were to ask this person this question, I think she would tell you that having a second CI made a huge difference in her overall safety.

Interestingly enough, since receiving the second CI, she has not had a single incident where she was nearly hit by a loading truck because she could localize sound and hear the truck from a distance -- something she couldn't easily do with one CI.

Just because people with normal hearing may not always hear what is around them doesn't mean that a second CI isn't justified for those who want or need one.

Even if a person *wants* a second CI (as opposed to expressing a need), I have no problem with that since it is ultimately up to insurance companies to decide whether or not the second CI will be covered.

Hear Again

Back