Student won't watch me interpret! What should I do?

In the district where I teach the interpreters are school employees, but if we have several out sick we hire outside, freelance people. The interpreter who is in my room during one period used to work in an elementary school, and I get the impression she did more than just convey language. She has offered to help pass out papers during downtime. I'm with other posters saying you shouldn't do anything but sign and voice. It s up to the teacher to notice the kid isn't doing the work.

I have a friend who was hired to interpret some really hard class, like quantum physics or something. A class that she REALLY had to work hard to even have a clue what the professor meant so it could be interpreted well. One day, the client fell asleep. She couldn't just stop interpreting, but didn't want to struggle to make the class understandable for the dead asleep client. So she started signing the story of the Three Little Pigs until he opened his eyes.

Probably not following professional codes, but funny anyhow.

I have a friend who was hired to interpret some really hard class, like quantum physics or something. A class that she REALLY had to work hard to even have a clue what the professor meant so it could be interpreted well. One day, the client fell asleep. She couldn't just stop interpreting, but didn't want to struggle to make the class understandable for the dead asleep client. So she started signing the story of the Three Little Pigs until he opened his eyes.

that's just dang funny and I think it's ok for her to sign piggie story while the client was sleeping because I guess she was trying to stay awake too! :giggle:

Hmm... well even when I start telling him something (ex. get out your book, work on page 9, finish that then recess) I get halfway through and he looks away. He does it in a silly manner, not in a defiant "I'm not gonna look at you!" manner... but it's rude! I'm trying to do my job and help him.... but it's a waste of time and effort if he's not going to cooperate. Grrr! It's just frustrating... mostly I feel like a babysitter instead of an interpreter.

I can't speak for the interpreter aspect, but as for him not co-operating, I wouldn't take it personally. I have a quite a few friends that are 4th grade teachers, and they all say exactly the same thing- the kids get distracted and don't pay attention. It's nothing you can/can't do, they're just 4th graders :)

Having had interepreters most of my college years up until now. when i first went to college I had an interepreter who was mothering me, making sure i go to lessons on time etc, I told my Local Education Authority, she told her that she's there as my ears nothing else, I make my own mistakes, teacher tell me off for not doing my prep, work etc or being late.

Leave the other stuff to the teacher but be there as his ears, interpret away whether he's listening or not. He's a kid and a boy afterall.

Just report the issue to your supervisor and continue to interpret for him unless your supervisor says otherwise.

Just report the issue to your supervisor and continue to interpret for him unless your supervisor says otherwise.
There is really nothing to report to a supervisor. The teacher is in charge of the classroom. To make such a report to anyone senior to the teacher, such as a principal, would be going over the teacher's head and implying that the teacher couldn't control the students. That would not be good.

In all the schools in which I've worked, I've never met anyone who would be considered a terp supervisor.

There is really nothing to report to a supervisor. The teacher is in charge of the classroom. To make such a report to anyone senior to the teacher, such as a principal, would be going over the teacher's head and implying that the teacher couldn't control the students. That would not be good.

In all the schools in which I've worked, I've never met anyone who would be considered a terp supervisor.
If a school hires you as a full-time ASL terp for deaf students there, then who is your boss?

If a school hires you as a full-time ASL terp for deaf students there, then who is your boss?
It depends on how each school district sets it up.

In our area, it's usually a district coordinator. After being hired and given an assignment, there really isn't much regular contact with that person. The school principals and their staffs take care of the daily administrative functions like sick leave use, classroom scheduling, etc. Sometimes if there's a Deaf Ed teacher on staff, that person coordinates with the terps. Within the classroom, the teacher is in charge with the exception of how the terp carries out her duties.

For the most part, terps are on their own. At least from what I've seen.

At the college level, I get my assignments from the Disabilities Office, and turn in my invoices to them. That's pretty much my only contact with them. I introduce myself to the instructors, work out a few logistics with them, and follow the classroom rules that they have. That's it. They do their thing, and I do mine.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Reba said:
It depends on how each school district sets it up.

In our area, it's usually a district coordinator. After being hired and given an assignment, there really isn't much regular contact with that person. The school principals and their staffs take care of the daily administrative functions like sick leave use, classroom scheduling, etc. Sometimes if there's a Deaf Ed teacher on staff, that person coordinates with the terps. Within the classroom, the teacher is in charge with the exception of how the terp carries out her duties.

For the most part, terps are on their own. At least from what I've seen.

At the college level, I get my assignments from the Disabilities Office, and turn in my invoices to them. That's pretty much my only contact with them. I introduce myself to the instructors, work out a few logistics with them, and follow the classroom rules that they have. That's it. They do their thing, and I do mine.

FWIW - that matches what I've seen and heard up here in Canada as well.

If an interpreter is hired to be strictly an interpreter then they do not get involved in "classroom & behaviour issues". If the person "interpreting is actually an 'educational assistant who signs' (different than a terp in function and qualifications) then that's a completely different senerio.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

FWIW - that matches what I've seen and heard up here in Canada as well.

If an interpreter is hired to be strictly an interpreter then they do not get involved in "classroom & behaviour issues". If the person "interpreting is actually an 'educational assistant who signs' (different than a terp in function and qualifications) then that's a completely different senerio.

Here in America, that would not be premitted/acceptable under ADA unless the teaching/educational assistance is also a certified interpreter.

My biggest concern is some students may end up to blame on interpreters because they failed the class due to lacks of attention. It is really hurting the reputation with interpreters.

My biggest concern is some students may end up to blame on interpreters because they failed the class due to lacks of attention. It is really hurting the reputation with interpreters.

Which is exactly why the interpreter needs to keep on interpreting regardless of the attention or inattention of the student.

If the interpreter is concerned about the students comprehension, they CAN ask the student if the interpreting style meets their needs ie does the student want more "PSE/CASE" interpreting style or "strong ASL" etc.

My interpreters and I always discussed interpreting strategy for various classes (some I want a more CASE/PSE style because of the content, other classes I prefer "proper ASL") - this makes sure that I'm getting what I need in terms of content and delivery for each class.

This has been an eye-opener for me. I would have thought that with a minor child, so young, there would be some communication with the parents. I understand why the interpreter wouldn't need to communicate with anybody but the client with a student over 18, but I'm surprised there's not more communication with parents for younger children.

What if the parents of, say, a ten year old child *asked* to meet with the terp and wanted to know about their child's attention level?

This has been an eye-opener for me. I would have thought that with a minor child, so young, there would be some communication with the parents. I understand why the interpreter wouldn't need to communicate with anybody but the client with a student over 18, but I'm surprised there's not more communication with parents for younger children.

What if the parents of, say, a ten year old child *asked* to meet with the terp and wanted to know about their child's attention level?

They'd meet with the teacher - because it's the teacher who's in charge of making sure the students are paying attention etc.

The parents could sit in on a class and observe the interpreter working, etc. but it's is NOT the interpreters job to assess the student, correct behaviour etc. That is the job of the teacher. Period.

If the student has other needs requiring a Educational Assistant, or Teacher's Assistant then there would either be BOTH an EA and interpreter present for that child (EA handles behaviour, making sure work is getting done, that the student is following the teacher & interpreter etc) or they would possibly be assigned a special EA who is also a certified interpreter (who'd be making significantly more money because they're doing 2 jobs).

Practically it doesn't work to have a single person functioning as an EA and 'terp ... however unfortunately many schools try to do this and more often than not it's a mess.

In Canada (and I know it happens in the USA too - ADA or not) there are situations were a student has additional behavioural &/or cognitive delays - instead of hiring an EA and a Terp, many schools state that because of the cognitive delays (significant enough that the student isn't actually doing the same work as the class) the student doesn't "need" or "meet criteria" for a proper certified interpreter - so instead they are assigned a "Signing EA" ... someone who is an EA, but is NOT a certified interpreter and sometimes isn't even fluent in ASL :(

The reason they are able to do this is because the student is NOT actaully taking instruction from the teacher, and isn't actively involved in class discussions etc, but rather is following a customized modified curriculum managed by the EA. It's a loophole - and it needs to be closed. Unfortunately many schools do not disclose that their student has the legal right to a proper interpreter - they offer and have funding for a "Signing EA" and that's what is proposed to the parents (in a manner implying that it is the only option, as well as the "best option").

It makes me angry to know that there are children sitting in classrooms struggling to learn not only because they have various cognitive issues to manage but because the person teaching them (the Signing EA) may or may not even be able to properly communicate in their language (ASL).

ADA is a great start, but until people are fully educated about their rights, the rights of their children, their students and co-workers there will be people who are "fall through the cracks" due to various loopholes.

Booktard, simple solution for you. When terping, if you noticed student turn his/her head away and not paying attention and when student turned head back at you, you just fake smile and laugh a little and student asked you what? What funny? Just say it back to him.."Sorry train is gone, nyeh neyh neyh"

(ok ok..I know this not going to happen)

Students don't bring their interpreters with them. Students and terps live totally independent of each other.

Do Deaf students (or their parents) ever do the hiring themselves, so that there is more of a relationship and continuity?

Whose responsibility is it to pay attention to the interpreter?

The interpreter is doing her/his job.

The student is not paying attention.

Simple enough to figure out.

Do Deaf students (or their parents) ever do the hiring themselves, so that there is more of a relationship and continuity?
Never heard of that.

The school pays for interpreters, not the parents or the student. So it is the school's responsibility to hire interpreters.

Never heard of that.

The school pays for interpreters, not the parents or the student. So it is the school's responsibility to hire interpreters.

Would the parents/student be allowed to? If they had the money, and didn't like the school-provided interpreter (for whatever reason)? Or are there rules/laws against supplying your own interpreter and declining the school-provided one?

No, not in a public state school.

Back