Student Teacher Relationships

ScrappyKat

Reaction score
this is just a question but in enlightenment of something i have learned i would like to know what your opinions are...

I don't really have an opinion of student-teacher relationships. I mean, my gut reaction to this is these relationships are wrong, but I really don't know. Of course, we've heard about Mary Kay Letourneou, and that was definitely wrong. But, I also knew a girl who I went to college with, and she had a fling with her math instructor (after they were no longer teacher/student). So, is this wrong? It feels wrong to me, but I don't know.

Bottom line... I have no idea. I just have a bunch of feelings and such that says "I sure as heck wouldn't!" :lol:

So, someone else will have to have a go at this one. :dunno:

ScrappyKat said:
this is just a question but in enlightenment of something i have learned i would like to know what your opinions are...
As in what? High School? College?

I am not sure what are you trying to ask but I can share my opinions anyway... I think it is ok for students/teachers to have the relationship in the classes but as long as teachers have to be 'professional' about it regardless of his/her feelings toward the certain students.

But as for High School, yuck no.

Magatsu said:
As in what? High School? College?

I am not sure what are you trying to ask but I can share my opinions anyway... I think it is ok for students/teachers to have the relationship in the classes but as long as teachers have to be 'professional' about it regardless of his/her feelings toward the certain students.

But as for High School, yuck no.

Many colleges don't tolerate it, and there's a good reason why they don't. Teachers easily corrupt themselves by showing favourism toward certain students in classrooms when one is closer to one than the other.

People can wait till they're done with college to form a relationship, or withdraw from the college program. Plus, what if the student and teacher broke up?

Never a pretty picture, which is why some workplaces will not tolerate co-worker relationships... to avoid these problems.

Banjo said:
Many colleges don't tolerate it, and there's a good reason why they don't. Teachers easily corrupt themselves by showing favourism toward certain students in classrooms when one is closer to one than the other.

People can wait till they're done with college to form a relationship, or withdraw from the college program. Plus, what if the student and teacher broke up?

Never a pretty picture, which is why some workplaces will not tolerate co-worker relationships... to avoid these problems.
Or maybe both of them can wait until student is done with certain courses then they can get into serious relationship or something.

But I can see your point though.

Business and pleasure don't mix at one place or another. :)

Magatsu said:
Or maybe both of them can wait until student is done with certain courses then they can get into serious relationship or something.

But I can see your point though.

This is what someone I knew did. She and I were at the same community college, and we had both taken the same math course, but with different instructors. She musta felt attracted to her instructor, because, after the semester ended, I found out they were dating. Also, I believe (if memory serves correctly), she actually ended up pregnant by this guy?

As I've already eluded, I'm not sure I agree with this. I'm more inclined to agree with Banjo on this. But, I don't know. I guess to each his own, but like I also said, I wouldn't do it.

:dunno:

I'm kinda against it. However, I would say that it's okay as long as it doesn't interfere with education. For instance, it wouldn't be a good idea if a student in the psychology major dated a teacher from the psychology department. If it was a student in the art major that dated a teacher from the science department, that's fine. :)

not a single ounce of me was referring to anything that had to do with sex or dating but thank you for the input! greatly aprecated. :ty: :)
:scatter:
and i am in high school and was more gearing towards that. college is a whole different story but i like the feedback anyway.

THANKS!
(now i gotta go get ready to face high school) *scoffs* :barf:

Banjo said:

Yes, that is correct. It is similar to American Chopper and I rather not work in the same program house at Mental Health. It will cause conflict interest. We prefer to stay our boundary as professional to do our jobs. It will cause problem between relationship and job. It will be not fair for the colleagues and clients in the same workplaces.

They should be separate boundary between love and education. Teacher needs to stay in professional to do the job. Student needs to focus on the education and treat a student fair as other students from the teacher.

the thing is... what if there is a boundry between it and there is nothing messing with the education. Just a student who finds a teacher that they can talk to and trust? just take this as me asking on a personal basis...

I dont believe in student teacher relationship cause too much troubles for their relationship blah blah by their family members, other ppl know who that student is or they know that teacher is.. if they go out together, make their friends or member of family feel DISGUISE!! .. blah blah ..

it okay for College student and teacher dating for relationship , depends!!! but not FOR ME!! no thanks!

:)

TOF

ScrappyKat said:
the thing is... what if there is a boundry between it and there is nothing messing with the education. Just a student who finds a teacher that they can talk to and trust? just take this as me asking on a personal basis...
It is nothing wrong with that. I had this deaf teacher that I placed my full trust in when I was in high school.

Magatsu said:
It is nothing wrong with that. I had this deaf teacher that I placed my full trust in when I was in high school.

hah.. i have that now. or i think i have... i am still kinda uncomfortable.. it "got out of hand" i guess and now i am probably banned from going to the Starbucks Deaf chat.. i am so mortified.. AGH!! :slap: (jenna hit me!! WTF?)

When it comes to student-Teacher relationship, I keep it professional, not going too far to be dating. If teacher want to be my friend, that is fine with me but not dating... Same idea "employee and boss/supervisor" relationship, I do same thing, keep it professional.

NO DATING!!! agh.. that is nto right.. just a mere friendship... ohh i dont know... *smacks head* :squint: :( :pissed: :ugh: :sadwave:

hmm.. thingsare back to normal now. but i am still sadder than ever... this si not fair... :(

Back