Student Suspended For Wearing Santa Suit

Loghead

Reaction score
WALLINGFORD, Pa. - A suburban Philadelphia teenager was suspended for a day for wearing a Santa Claus suit to school.

Michael Hance says he told his principal that he planned to wear the suit to Strath Haven High School in Wallingford and hand out candy canes. The 18-year-old senior says the principal told him that wasn't a good idea because it would be a distraction. But he wore the suit anyway, with regular clothes underneath.

Hance got nabbed a few minutes after he walked into his first class on Tuesday. The school district says in a statement that Hance was suspended for the day for "defiance of authority."

Hance says the school could have just given him a detention.

Student suspended for wearing Santa Claus suit to suburban US high school

Somehow I don't think that this is the full story. There were probably events that lead up to the suspension. It was probably the final straw, and he could have also been skipping classes.

Thats outrageous, the dude was in christmas spirits and handing out candy canes, but suspended for this, wtf.

I think he should have been allowed. It seems like harmless fun that could cheer everyone up.

He found a way to bring Christmas Cheer to others and the school steps on it before it could be spread.

Is it me or is the christmas spirit dwindling away?

I'm guessing it has something to do with religion issues...since Santa Claus is obviously a symbol of Christmas, which relates to the birth of Jesus Christ, but who knows. Not everyone support santa claus anyway.

School rule prevails....he could have worn a red shirt, green pants, anything festive regarding Xmas, but chose to wear a Santa suite....Besides, school is out for the holidays, 2 weeks in our state, so it wasn't Xmas Eve or Xmas Day. Same thing for Halloween, students aren't allowed to wear masks or suits. My bet was the student just wanted "attention". And would be a big distraction in class, when other students are there to learn. Surely there were Xmas parties where he could have wore the suite! But in school? No, I don't think so, even a Santa hat would be a distraction to the students.

Depending on the dress code. Kids are not allowed to wear Halloween costumes to school either in our district. Usually the teacher becomes creative and have the children dress up as.. Perhaps a famous person.. or as something you want to be when you grow up.. etc.

He already discussed it with the Principal and he made it known that it would not be a good idea.. so the student defied what he said.

Sadly but true.

My kid had final exams right before the holiday. I don't think that it's a good idea to disrupt final exams. It's hard enough to keep teens focused on their work. That makes me a scrooge, I know. But the kids can make up for it over the holidays.

At my kid's school, some kids gave each other candy the last couple of days. The administration didn't have a problem with that.

Back