Student Research: Cochlear Implant Controversy

Cochlear Implants: Good or bad for the Deaf Community?

• Good

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Neither

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
You may want to narrow it down to ci cnntroversy involving babies and young kids. That is still a hot topic

Hey! :wave:

I'm a sophomore at SFASU (majoring in Deaf Education), and I'm doing a research project on the Cochlear Implant Controversy. I'd love to get some feedback, to get a pulse of the deaf (and hard of hearing) community on this topic.

Yay or nay? Is this a good thing for the deaf community, or is this really tearing apart Deaf Culture?

Here in Norway, there is no controversy, so it depends country by country.
In the USA, (and the major members here are from USA) there IS.
.. and I think it is tearing the Deaf community apart...
Have you seen "Sound & Fury"..

my friends from sound and fury, and they are ok now with everything. The sound and fury was old news years ago. The nightmare for them is over. Im happy to see them are ok now.

Cloggy: Yes, I have seen Sound & Fury - all throughout school, we were shown the same videos (over and over, unbeknownst to the teachers) that showed Deaf Culture, deafness in general, and the CI "issue".

Why d'you think it's different in Norway then in the USA?

Cloggy: Yes, I have seen Sound & Fury - all throughout school, we were shown the same videos (over and over, unbeknownst to the teachers) that showed Deaf Culture, deafness in general, and the CI "issue".

Why d'you think it's different in Norway then in the USA?

Did you see the sequel to Sound & Fury? Not only did the girl, Heather, get her ci but so did her mother, at least one other sibling, and her cousins and I believe an aunt.

I feel like people in general find it a lot worst than it really is.

At RIT, I rarely encounter any people that are against CI or say shit. I think the reason is because they just don't care. Its your life, do what you want to do, get an implant, or don't.

I do have it a little easier since I know both languages (oral and good enough asl) but still. I think its the feeling of having a CI that really matters.

However, don't go to gally if you have a CI lol. They're so freaking stupid about it over there, very against it for no reason

Did you see the sequel to Sound & Fury? Not only did the girl, Heather, get her ci but so did her mother, at least one other sibling, and her cousins and I believe an aunt.

her mother has not used it for a while as i saw her last month. Heather still wear CI and still signs ASL. Her aunt does wear it and still signs ASL. The rest of their cousins wear Ci and still signs ASL. :aw:

I feel like people in general find it a lot worst than it really is.

At RIT, I rarely encounter any people that are against CI or say shit. I think the reason is because they just don't care. Its your life, do what you want to do, get an implant, or don't.

I do have it a little easier since I know both languages (oral and good enough asl) but still. I think its the feeling of having a CI that really matters.

However, don't go to gally if you have a CI lol. They're so freaking stupid about it over there, very against it for no reason

I know several kids who are 18, 19 who have CI and attends to GALLY. they do sign ASL. My time maybe you can say that but 2012, i dont think so. There are lots of kids with CI like you who wants to go to gally.

I know several kids who are 18, 19 who have CI and attends to GALLY. they do sign ASL. My time maybe you can say that but 2012, i dont think so. There are lots of kids with CI like you who wants to go to gally.

Same with RIT/NTID. A lot of CI students at RIT/NTID. It's very widely accepted these days. The deaf community, generally, isn't against CIs.

I remember 2 summers ago, when I was there for a computer program, they literally forced me to try to sign, voice off (i didnt know any at the time)

Same with RIT/NTID. A lot of CI students at RIT/NTID. It's very widely accepted these days. The deaf community, generally, isn't against CIs.

I should probably mention by now that I am part of RIT now.

Its a very friendly community indeed.

I remember 2 summers ago, when I was there for a computer program, they literally forced me to try to sign, voice off (i didnt know any at the time)

Oh you are talking about ASL and voice off. gotcha. Yeah Gallaudet used to be for ASL users all the way. Now it changes over years but lots of deal oral kids do want to learn sign language/ASL so they go to gallaudet like my husband. it has nothing to do with CI issue that everyone thought the general Deaf community against CI. noo RIT is a hearing college that provides a program for Deaf students that called NTID. Gallaudet is for Deaf, now accept hearing people but hearing people do sign if they want to go to gally. yes.

True.

Her mother no longer wears CI now. Heather uses both ASL and speak. Her cousins and aunt do wear CIs and all of them know ASL as well.

True.

Her mother no longer wears CI now. Heather uses both ASL and speak. Her cousins and aunt do wear CIs and all of them know ASL as well.

and your point is...?

This is family with many ASL users and no one is suggesting that by getting cis they would no longer use ASL but they do counteract the misguided notion just posted on the children's forum that cis and being Deaf arre mutually exclusive.

One issue that remains is Informed Consent. This means that the person must be presented with all the options available to them and the risks involved. Very few Medical Professionals inform the parents that ASL is a viable language and preferred communication choice of the Deaf and that many Deaf persons and Deaf educators feel that ASL is the best language option for the child/ infant and can avoid all the risks of surgery. There would definitely be legal grounds for the parents or the implantee who is unsuccessful in developing good hearing and speech skills to sue the medical professionals and the Implant companies for not informing them of the non-surgical option.. Also would apply if there were a death or serious side effects from the surgery which IS an elective surgical proceedure.

and your point is...?

This is family with many ASL users and no one is suggesting that by getting cis they would no longer use ASL but they do counteract the misguided notion just posted on the children's forum that cis and being Deaf arre mutually exclusive.

Right, they are not mutually exclusive. That's an unfortunate myth that creates more problems than it does solutions. Having hearing technology (whether it he HA's/CI/Baja/whatever) and potentially developing spoken language skills does not preclude them from learning and using ASL and being Deaf.

Wirelessly posted

I voted 'neither' because I believe that each individual has the right to make a choice, I don't believe that young babies or children should be implanted, because they are denied that choice. Late-deafened people or adults who decide they want to hear, or want their hearing back, have every right to make that choice. Medical professionals should give all options,without bias, to parents of deaf babies and children, giving full information on the benefits of sign language as well, not just be biased for the oral approach. They should also give a full picture on what it entails to get a Cochlear Implant, the cons as well as the pros with full explanation that it is in no way a cure for deafness as hearing people are so inclined to think.

Last edited:
some hearing parents have their choices for kids not to have ASL because they have CIs.

that is my point.

I'm sorry but why do a research project based on a forum. Who knows who people are on here.

Back