Stuck in the middle

seb28

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to Alldeaf. I am 19 and have had hearing aids since I was in middle school. I am surrounded by hearing people, but recently one of my hearing aids broke and I have realized I only fit in that world because of them. I would love to connect with others who sign and make friends with those who do so I can communicate with more comfortably and met new people. Though I have taken four years of ASL I have been out of practice and really want to develop my fluency. My signing is poor and though I speak well hearing is difficult. Because of this, I am stuck in the middle of the deaf community and the hearing.

Last edited:
I'm sure you can go to a Deaf Chat Coffee to meet other deaf people and work on your signing skills. :thumb:

Thank you! I really like that quote you have as your signature :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. You are not alone. We, d/Deafies, have gone through and done that. In Seattle, Washington, there are many d/Deaf people there. It is a large community. You just have to go to the Deaf event. I went to the Seattle Central Community College with a Deaf program which include ASL and other accommodations for the deaf and hard of hearing. It was long time ago back in the middle of 1970. I don't know if it is still offering that. Anyway, I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Thank you :) I will look into that. I have not heard of it before, but I am sure there are events around Seattle. I think I just fear my signing is too poor.

Welcome! I've been where you been. I think about just everyone here understand where you are coming from.

hello and welcome and I too understand that, when I don't have my hearing aids in I can't hear well, which makes communication harder, thankfully I do have a few people in my life who do sign, including a wonderful lady who is deaf and is a coworker at the walmart we work at, she works with me and makes me use it lol. anyway good luck!

Thank you :) I will look into that. I have not heard of it before, but I am sure there are events around Seattle. I think I just fear my signing is too poor.

Ae you in college? Maybe you could transfer to NTID or Gally.... you'd have a BLAST!

Back