Stressed out!!! >.<

Honestly, I don't see a problem here. You handled the situation very well. The counselor has you setup for tutoring which is what I would have recommended as well.

We don't teach math well here in the U.S. In fact, we don't teach it at all. We teach people how to pass tests. It's like teaching people about a hammer and never telling someone how to build anything with it. You get really good at creating hammers, but that's about it.

So, don't be so hard on yourself just get some help with the course.

Also, I took a lot of courses when I went college. I'd recommend taking 3 to 4 instead of 4 to 5, depending on what you are taking for that semester. And, if you are deaf or HoH it takes longer to process things.

Finally, it might not be you so much as the teacher. One bad teacher can ruin your next 4 math classes. Ask the other students who they recommend for a math teacher.

What are you taking Algebra or Calculus?

Your tuition should cover staff tutors. Dont feel bad this is my second semester taking the same math class. I really dont like math

I was referring to this part -

pharmacy courses means courses in pharmacy school.
pre-pharmacy courses means undergrad courses in preparation for pharmacy school.

I don't think pharmacy tech courses can be called as pharmacy courses. it's a very specific distinction.
These are the pharmacy tech courses:

PHM 101 Introduction to Pharmacy Tech
PHM 113 Pharmacy Technician Math
PHM 114 Therapeutic Agents I
PHM 110 Pharmacy Practice
PHM 124 Therapeutic Agents II
PHM 152 Pharmacy Technician Practicum I
PHM 175 Pharmacy Technician Practicum
PHM 118 Community Pharmacy Seminar
PHM 164 Pharmacy Technician Practicum II
PHM 201 Pharmacy Management
PHM 250 Special Topics in Pharmacy

Those are not the courses one would take and transfer to the university.

The undergrad, non-pharmacy courses the student could take for transfer would be all the core courses (English, math, psychology, speech, foreign language, computer) and lab sciences (chemistry, physics, anatomy, biology).

Example (from the university website):

Pre-Pharmacy Requirements

General Chemistry
Organic Chemistry
Physics
Calculus
Statistics
Biology
English Composition
English Literature/Composition
Verbal Skills
Economics
Psychology
Liberal Arts Electives
Human Anatomy/Physiology

Total
66 hours

And then...

South Carolina College of Pharmacy - Pharm.D. Curriculum

With a 2-year degree in science, even if he changes his mind about pharmacy, he will have taken care of the basic requirements for a wide range of majors in the sciences.

Thanks, Right now my mom is still mad at me and she dosen't want to be around me, she says i'm still on her bad list. My dad is home but he doesn't know about my class drop out so far. So, i'm hoping things would be okay later. wish me luck, i'm heading on to a 2 hour drive to my cousin's wedding.
I don't understand your parents' anger unless there is more to this situation than we know.

I could understand it if you were a lazy party girl who didn't seriously study but that doesn't seem to be the situation here.

Please, quit referring to it as "class drop out." That is not accurate, and it's giving you and your parents a more negative viewpoint of the situation. You withdrew from class, and you're re-enrolling next semester. That is NOT dropping out.

I have something called Dyscalculia...it's this:

http://dyscalculiaservices.com/

MLD Symptoms - Dyscalculia.org

Dyscalculia | LD Topics | LD OnLine

Things that I would do would be stay awake the entire night studying - with maybe an hour or two of sleep - then take the test and know absolutely nothing on the exam that I just spent the entire night studying.

I took long and involved notes that helped everyone but me.

I used flash cards - but nothing worked.

You mention a disability counselor - have you been formally tested with documentation? I didn't have any documentation throughout school until I turned twenty-five, and I was unable to pass the math and science classes. I had no trouble with any other courses but math and science. I had to hire an LD lawyer twice at the undergrad and graduate level to get accommodated by my college and I was allowed to take an LD adapted math course at Northeastern University. However, you need documentation to be accommodated.

It sounds like your mother doesn't understand what a learning disability is. Most LD students work twice as hard, study twice as long and kill themselves to get the grade and just never pass. This isn't your fault, but you do need help. I can understand the upset stomach. I had a migraine headache from 25 until graduation from grad school. I don't recall a year in my life from high school or college that I didn't suffer from a headache thanks to my experiences trying to pass my classes. Since graduating, I haven't suffered from them at all. No one should have to feel this lousy, especially since you care about your classes. I'd push to see about getting LD adapted math courses from your school. You don't need a "study buddy," you need a tutor.

My tutor for my sciences went to class with me, worked with me on the assignments (believe it or not, I still failed the exam) yet I passed enough of the course to get the grade. There are options but I feel for you, having a mother that doesn't get it would make anyone sick to their stomach.

Laura

Laura- thank you for posting that. I've started the process to get tested for a math learning disability. Although like you, I am starting the process late as I'm currently enrolled in the last math class I'll need to take ever-which I'm stoked about. I clicked on the links, and I'm almost certain that is what I have. I don't know if I'll be diagnosed in time for proper accommodations in my Statistics class though. This has given me something to go on, and a potential name for what has been behind my challenges with math all these years.

CSG- if you haven't yet, maybe you should start the process to get assessed for a math LD. You aren't the only one who has to drop a class because of extenuating circumstances. It's not the end of the world. Look into what may be behind your challenges so that you can get the support you need to do well.

Laura- thank you for posting that. I've started the process to get tested for a math learning disability. Although like you, I am starting the process late as I'm currently enrolled in the last math class I'll need to take ever-which I'm stoked about. I clicked on the links, and I'm almost certain that is what I have. I don't know if I'll be diagnosed in time for proper accommodations in my Statistics class though. This has given me something to go on, and a potential name for what has been behind my challenges with math all these years.

CSign, I'm glad my links were a benefit for someone. A LD is probably one of the more difficult disabilities to have because it's truly invisible. People can see my hearing aids, and if they can't and I say, "I'm sorry, I'm kind of deaf, what did you say?" No one calls me a lier, challenges me, or thinks I'm faking it. With a LD, you could knock yourself out, studying all hours and have someone say "I just don't think you're trying." It's beyond frustrating.

I remember an English professor of mine, who was really wonderful, knew her subject and she was very well liked, by me as well. She said to me, "You're such a bright woman, Laura, and you do so well in my class, you should just do math and pass it. Get it over with." My other professors, who knew about my disability, were somewhat taken back. There's no correlation between intelligence and a learning disability. It's a disability just like hearing loss, vision, walking - except no one thinks you should be accommodated, without a knock down, drag down, fight.

Feel free to PM me if there's anything I can do to help you with resources or information.

Laura

Ok, Im gonna help you... Do your parents know English? Did they take English? Did they specialize in English or the such?
Well, ask them and ask if they know how to spell the longest word in English, and if they dont then rest the case.... They arent very fluent in English just as you arent in Math!
Here is the link so you can present it if needed...lol
Longest word in English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is only intended as a joke, so use at your own discretion and Viewers pleased be advised AGAIN, This is only a JOKE ! But on a serious note, Id do it to my parents...lol

It sounds like you are taking mini terms maybe math you shouldn't take mini term... I know you probably want to finish school fast but if you keep on failing math you wont finish quick at all. and with the same teacher I'm not to sure that's a good idea :/ I only take mini term classes if I feel confident on the subject
@ Foxrac I'm a psychology major and from what I've seen it's mostly vocabulary and examples of the words on the test, and the history. Read the book, it's more helpful than the professor when the professor is self centered
Any material is the worst if the professor doesn't try his/her best to explain things

...@ Foxrac I'm a psychology major and from what I've seen it's mostly vocabulary and examples of the words on the test, and the history. Read the book, it's more helpful than the professor when the professor is self centered
Any material is the worst if the professor doesn't try his/her best to explain things
Good points.

I can't speak for all schools but from my observation I would say that the instructors' "stories" aren't testable material. They usually include them in their lectures to give real life examples of a topic they are discussing. They aren't usually allowed to use any of that "story" on tests. Often tests are now developed at the department level for consistency, so there isn't usually a spot for the instructor to stick in questions that are too specific to any one lecture.

Like you posted, read the book, and pay attention to definitions, names, time sequence, procedures and lists. Don't skip any charts, timelines, or illustrations. Work that highlighter! :D

As a mom with three kids in college all I can say is WOW!!! All I expect from my kids is to do their best. If for some reason their best does not work out, I would never be angry at them. I may be a little dissapointed, but definitely not show the anger like your parents.

You sound like a wonderful, caring, hardworking daughter and just maybe they need to cut you some slack.

Never, ever compare your children against each other. That is the fastest way to make your child feel depressed and they will withdraw.

Maybe your dad has access to your grades???? As long as you tried your best and have made the necessary changes so it won't happen again, you should not be punished, in my opinion.
Good luck and have fun at homecoming with your boyfriend.

I don't understand your parents' anger unless there is more to this situation than we know.

I could understand it if you were a lazy party girl who didn't seriously study but that doesn't seem to be the situation here.

Please, quit referring to it as "class drop out." That is not accurate, and it's giving you and your parents a more negative viewpoint of the situation. You withdrew from class, and you're re-enrolling next semester. That is NOT dropping out.

I can relate to her situation because it's typically what life is like for deaf children of ambitious or overly-concerned parents. our parents are so deeply concerned for us deaf children that it's actually "life or death" to them. they truly are fearful of what will happen to us if they died so they pushed us to our limit and demanded nothing but perfection so that we can live independently with jobs and good earnings. we have to do everything twice harder than hearing students. despite of how strict or mean they are.... they are really concerned for us and did not want us to be living in welfare system or become homeless.

my parents were like coolgirlspyer90's parents. it got much better after a couple years in college. my parents finally saw how toxic and detrimental their ambition was on me as my academic performance was declining faster than stock market, living under fear. they finally accepted it and let me do whatever I want on my own accord. since then - my academic performance went 180 and was going up and up.... and up.... made it to dean's list twice... got a full-time job with benefits just a few months after graduation....... all this on my own.

that's what coolgirlspyer90's parents need to do. they need to let her fly.

I'm reminded by Mark Wahlberg's quote in The Other Guys movie - "I'm a peacock, you've gotta let me fly!" :giggle:

As a mom with three kids in college all I can say is WOW!!! All I expect from my kids is to do their best. If for some reason their best does not work out, I would never be angry at them. I may be a little dissapointed, but definitely not show the anger like your parents.

You sound like a wonderful, caring, hardworking daughter and just maybe they need to cut you some slack.

Never, ever compare your children against each other. That is the fastest way to make your child feel depressed and they will withdraw.

Maybe your dad has access to your grades???? As long as you tried your best and have made the necessary changes so it won't happen again, you should not be punished, in my opinion.
Good luck and have fun at homecoming with your boyfriend.

that would be illegal under FERPA law. the only way her parents can have access to her grades is to get a written consent from her.

that would be illegal under FERPA law. the only way her parents can have access to her grades is to get a written consent from her.
They might have gotten her permission. It might have been part of the family agreement in order to have them pay for her schooling. Or, maybe they ask her about her progress.

coolgirlspyer90, I haven't had the same difficulties as you, but I DO understand parents having HIGH expectations of their kids. I felt sad when you said you felt sick to your stomach because of being worried about telling your parents. :hug: I went against my parents expectations after all my life being rushed through school. They said some hard things to me, but it's ok now and you'll be ok with your parents, too! We shouldn't have to get sick to our stomachs worrying about school when you're doing your best. It will work out.
I hope you have a great time with your boyfriend.:dance2:

It sounds like you are taking mini terms maybe math you shouldn't take mini term... I know you probably want to finish school fast but if you keep on failing math you wont finish quick at all. and with the same teacher I'm not to sure that's a good idea :/ I only take mini term classes if I feel confident on the subject
@ Foxrac I'm a psychology major and from what I've seen it's mostly vocabulary and examples of the words on the test, and the history. Read the book, it's more helpful than the professor when the professor is self centered

Well, study on vocabulary and know about definition doesn't matter because all questions on psychology exam contain applied knowledge and the professor told us to use our mind to solve the problem. Like I said, I studied all assigned material, including books and thought it was fully ready, but the exam was much difference than we thought.

I'm not alone about failing grade because there are 300+ students in my class receive a failing grade, out of 600+ students in big lecture hall. I have some learning problems and difficult to understand about applied knowledge, but my AA told me that take course with different teacher have a very high successful than one same teacher that I took in big lecture hall.

I have to focus on other 4 classes and put psychology as low priority because I have better chance to pass 4 classes with A/B.

Good points.

I can't speak for all schools but from my observation I would say that the instructors' "stories" aren't testable material. They usually include them in their lectures to give real life examples of a topic they are discussing. They aren't usually allowed to use any of that "story" on tests. Often tests are now developed at the department level for consistency, so there isn't usually a spot for the instructor to stick in questions that are too specific to any one lecture.

Like you posted, read the book, and pay attention to definitions, names, time sequence, procedures and lists. Don't skip any charts, timelines, or illustrations. Work that highlighter! :D

Not really, at UAB, it is up to professors to question about his stories and I do see some questions on test that totally related to his stories.

The assigned material that involve on test is book, lecture note and powerpoint, however there are no charts, timelines, illustration that involved on test and the professor want us to use applied on psychology.

Don't assume about professors are similar, or same as you have so every professors, even in same subjects are different.

Okay here's what happened today,

My mom seemed more calm and okay with what happened yesterday while we were at the wedding, My dad didn't know anything about it all day which is what my mom wanted. she wanted him to be happy and in a good mood.

Later today, my mom got me up around 11:30AM telling me that we need to tell my dad what happened. So I got extremely nervous about it. So I kind of panicked and both my mom and I went down to the family room and i told my dad i had bad news to tell him and my mom asked if i had the CI's on, i said no, told me to go get them on and i did, came back down and sat myself down. I started telling my dad in a fearful, trembling voice that I had to withdraw the class and my mom does better at explaining the story than I am when I become nervous like this. So my dad said he wasn't mad, he was disappointed, which I was surprised that he didn't have the green monster come out, but when he said he was disappointed, I felt disappointed in myself too. SO then my mom told my dad that I had a plan and how i went down to sinclair to talk to my disability counselor and register to retake the math class again, etc and my dad was suprised I did that because he said I was becoming an adult. But saying that on mondays, wednesdays and fridays I should take my homework and go down to sinclair and go to the tutoring services there so they can help me out and see what I'm doing right, and what i'm doing wrong so I can stay on the right track. Monday sinclair is closed tomorrow due to Columbus day.

My parents are still going to let me go see my boyfriend this month on the 26th because they know I really need it. And they don't want to get in the way of how much i really love my boyfriend and how we want to spend time together, and espcially since they paid for my plane ticket, they werent going to let that go to waste as well.

And then my parents and I were talking about getting me into an activity that doesn't have to be involved with grades, so that way I can meet people and gain new friends. I'm interested in doing that, but it'll be hard for me to pick an activity that I might like. Because I loved doing band and since I graduated high school, I can't do band anymore. Which is a bummer, beacuse my parents know that i'm used to being busy and if i'm not busy, then i'll go crazy.

Right now, i'm only afraid of taking the class again with the fear of failing that class AGAIN. And i hope to god I don't, i'm going to put in much more effort to pass that class. And my dad asked me if i was more motivated to do this again, and i replied yes. My dad said that I may be a pain in his butt, but he loves me. My parents said that this year is a test for me, If i cant succeed in sinclair, then I might have to go to trade school, which is NOT what I want to do. God help me. I have to prove to them that I can be college material. ugh. I'm going to need all the help I'm going to get at sinclair.

Okay here's what happened today,

My mom seemed more calm and okay with what happened yesterday while we were at the wedding, My dad didn't know anything about it all day which is what my mom wanted. she wanted him to be happy and in a good mood.

Later today, my mom got me up around 11:30AM telling me that we need to tell my dad what happened. So I got extremely nervous about it. So I kind of panicked and both my mom and I went down to the family room and i told my dad i had bad news to tell him and my mom asked if i had the CI's on, i said no, told me to go get them on and i did, came back down and sat myself down. I started telling my dad in a fearful, trembling voice that I had to withdraw the class and my mom does better at explaining the story than I am when I become nervous like this. So my dad said he wasn't mad, he was disappointed, which I was surprised that he didn't have the green monster come out, but when he said he was disappointed, I felt disappointed in myself too. SO then my mom told my dad that I had a plan and how i went down to sinclair to talk to my disability counselor and register to retake the math class again, etc and my dad was suprised I did that because he said I was becoming an adult. But saying that on mondays, wednesdays and fridays I should take my homework and go down to sinclair and go to the tutoring services there so they can help me out and see what I'm doing right, and what i'm doing wrong so I can stay on the right track. Monday sinclair is closed tomorrow due to Columbus day.

My parents are still going to let me go see my boyfriend this month on the 26th because they know I really need it. And they don't want to get in the way of how much i really love my boyfriend and how we want to spend time together, and espcially since they paid for my plane ticket, they werent going to let that go to waste as well.

And then my parents and I were talking about getting me into an activity that doesn't have to be involved with grades, so that way I can meet people and gain new friends. I'm interested in doing that, but it'll be hard for me to pick an activity that I might like. Because I loved doing band and since I graduated high school, I can't do band anymore. Which is a bummer, beacuse my parents know that i'm used to being busy and if i'm not busy, then i'll go crazy.

Right now, i'm only afraid of taking the class again with the fear of failing that class AGAIN. And i hope to god I don't, i'm going to put in much more effort to pass that class. And my dad asked me if i was more motivated to do this again, and i replied yes. My dad said that I may be a pain in his butt, but he loves me. My parents said that this year is a test for me, If i cant succeed in sinclair, then I might have to go to trade school, which is NOT what I want to do. God help me. I have to prove to them that I can be college material. ugh. I'm going to need all the help I'm going to get at sinclair.

I don't know why it hasn't occurred to anyone that you be tested for learning disabilities. If your disability counselor so incompetent that she doesn't raise the obvious to your parents or are the counselor and your parents not communicating for some reason? My parents were always involved. This seems to be a vicious circle.

Laura

:wave:in relation to the math learning disability aspects of this thread - I have math LD or dyscalclulia and was tested through my university's Disabled Student Services office after continually failing remedial college math. I was put in that course due to pre-college placement scores on my ACT. The class was for credit but not part of the General Degree requirement for my university. I tried and tried but I didn't learn to tell time or make change til high school so this college remedial course was very hard for me. I always remember in any math class sitting there not understanding anything and feeling so lost and alone. I advise anyone who think they may have math LD to get tested, there are various ways to get it done for free or reduced, too.

coolgirl, my first year of college I really messed up, more than one class. I do think it's common - I know that doesn't make it any easier. I'm sorry about the situation with your parents. I know it can be very scary when parents are mad and hold grudges or fight.
I'm glad for your that your folks are still going to let you see your boyfriend!
I hope that things work out better for you....I'm wondering if there might be a support group for students who go through the Disabled Student Services and/or for d/Deaf students, where maybe you can get together with other students who can help each other out. When I was in college me and and another student with LD tried to start a support group for students with LD and we put together a little booklet for students with LD.
:hug:

Back