stressed new mom looking for support

Just wanted to point out that with ASL, she will be bilingal and have the abilty to function both WITH and without her hearing aids.......Even orally sucessful kids' favorite word is "What?"

I lost my hearing about 3 years ago...and my favourite word is 'WHAT?' (really loudly apparently) LOL

But, I agree that learning ASL later in life is a bit harder than teaching the child now. Let her learn all she can. Orally or ASL.

I think you are easily discouraged.

I know so many deafies who are bilingual... and trilinguals.... I think half of my deaf friends are trilinguals... and quadrilingual

Same here...know several Deaf people who are fluent in multiple languages. :).

I lost my hearing later, 7 years ago, so I don't have experience with hearing loss from birth. However, this post makes me think of one of my very good friends who was deaf from a much younger age (3) - he was raised trilingual - english, italian, and asl. He speaks and lipreads english and italian and has used english and asl to get himself through graduate school. He currently owns his own business for fixing computers.

I lost my hearing about 3 years ago...and my favourite word is 'WHAT?' (really loudly apparently) LOL

But, I agree that learning ASL later in life is a bit harder than teaching the child now. Let her learn all she can. Orally or ASL.

Yes...Her first language will prolly be spoken English since most HOH kids can very easily pick that up......However the ease of language learning ALSO applies to ASL.....so HOH kids should get it sooner rather then later.
Parents of HOH kids are lucky as they don't have to worry too much about spoken language isssues....they will prolly not have perfect speech...many hoh kids still have "deaf accents" and mechanical (pitch,volumne etc)issues with their voices..........

ASL helps with spatial reasoning and understanding concepts since it is a visual language. I think every child, hearing or deaf should learn it. It is amazing how much it has helped children visualize what they read in English. I have seen evidence of it myself over and over again.

helped me well with speech up close but not in a way that normal people would process info but super great with music :D

:
exactly.......many kids do well one on one with perfect listening conditions.....but again the world is not a soundbooth......and most dhh kids have visual processing strengh.....but we tend to ignore that....and just think "HOH kids can hear and speak.....they don't need anything more"

ASL helps with spatial reasoning and understanding concepts since it is a visual language. I think every child, hearing or deaf should learn it. It is amazing how much it has helped children visualize what they read in English. I have seen evidence of it myself over and over again.

They say teaching your child ASL growing up actually makes them learn faster! I know my God baby... I teach her ASL and she could sign before she could speak! She's 8 months old now ( almost 9 ) and can sign and tell you what she wants. The signs aren't clear like you or an adult would sign, but you can tell when she's thirsty and hungry ect ect. It opens up their minds for communication before their voice can develop to do so! I think it's amazing, and yes, all children hearing or not should be exposed to it. =P

They say teaching your child ASL growing up actually makes them learn faster! I know my God baby... I teach her ASL and she could sign before she could speak! She's 8 months old now ( almost 9 ) and can sign and tell you what she wants. The signs aren't clear like you or an adult would sign, but you can tell when she's thirsty and hungry ect ect. It opens up their minds for communication before their voice can develop to do so! I think it's amazing, and yes, all children hearing or not should be exposed to it. =P

Brilliant! When I has grand babies I will teach them ASL. Hell, it wouldn't hurt either of my sons to learn it as well. I have hearing aids, but they don't really work for me much now so I don't really use them any more...plus I seem to be more prone to ear infections when I wear them.

I find ASL to be a lot more expressive and beautiful language...not to mention it really conveys the meaning so much better. Seems to be a lot less misunderstandings than there is with oral language. :aw:

I can project clearly verbally... well... I used to when I didn't yell at everything assuming it couldn't hear me... hahaha... oh I'm terrible... =P I do agree, ASL is a beautiful language. I prefer to sign and not speak personally. =P

exactly.......many kids do well one on one with perfect listening conditions.....but again the world is not a soundbooth......and most dhh kids have visual processing strengh.....but we tend to ignore that....and just think "HOH kids can hear and speak.....they don't need anything more"

yep, and I have that visual strength! *even though this chick here is nearsighted ;)

Back