Strain on relationships... When H O H

Kzees

Reaction score
just wanted to say that I am enjoying this forum and thought I would seek advise regarding my relationship with my wife of the past 8 years. when we first met she was aware of my HOH has even has been to the audiologist several times with me and fully understands the mechanics of hearing loss.. many of the things you described have also happened to me like her getting irritated when I don't answer her from another room, asking her to repeat herself or look at me when she talks to me irritates her and the most frustrating thing for me the misunderstanding she seems to have even though she knows better and other people have about hearing loss and the use of hearing aids. It seems to be assumed that just because you wear hearing aids that everything is fine. My hearing loss is from Birth and I went many years without the use of hearing aids. As a child I refused to wear them because of all the kidding that I got from my friends. I already had a lazy eye and had to wear patch as well as crooked teeth and had to have braces as a result over the years I lost much of my comprehension of what I did hear. Now just because I have hearing aids people think that I should be able to understand and comprehend as a normal hearing person. I get rude comments all the time from don't you hear me with your hearing aids or you're just not paying attention to me or you don't care to listen to what I have to say. they don't understand that I will never get back the lost comprehension level and that often I still have to ask people to repeat themselves. As crazy as this sounds there's been times that I wish I was completely deaf being hard of hearing is extremely difficult in a relationship where the other person has normal hearing I feel misunderstood, I feel isolated and at times I'm extremely lonely.. it seems that I live in 1 world and everybody else lives in another as of late I have even quit wearing my hearing aids, I use the excuse that I work in a noisy environment. I pull away from the conversation and even found myself just faking my understanding and saying yes to things just to get the other person to stop talking to me and not even have a clue what they said. I will just stare off in space hoping that people won't talk to me thinking that I'm preoccupied with something on my mind and thus avoid conversations and yes this includes my behavior around the house. I'm beginning to fear that my wife and I don't know each other because we don't talk to each other. I have absolutely no friends that I do things with I spend all my time alone I do spend time with my children I have a 2 and a half up year old hearing daughter and a four month old baby girl who we are already in the process of having hearing test done because she too has hearing loss. I have so many fears about this and really no 1 to talk to so I guess that's why I joined this forum. it is nice to read that someone else also experience many of the same feelings that I do if anyone that reads this would like to talk feel free to contact me I would like to get to know people more that experience the same things that I do. I'm open for suggestions from all you guys.

Kzees: Consider what I commented above in the other thread- Lost her understanding

Good luck in deciding what action- YOU can do- now!

Last edited:
Back