"Storytelling" and "The Deaf Community"

defgrl

Reaction score
I got involved with a "Biblical Storytelling" group at a (Hearing) church in my area. People memorize Scripture portions and then present it in a sort of dramatic type fashion. (As opposed to just reading it from a lectionary or a Bible.) Anyway, the leader of this group told me about a website concerning a movement of "storytelling" in the Deaf Community. Like it is just now happening.

I know this may sound a bit silly, but I took a class in this "technique" last Fall (couldn't hear much, so I didn't really "get it), but I managed to "pull off" what the teacher wanted on the last night of class. Everybody acted like I did something phenomenal or something. I just incorporated stuff I already knew from reading about ASL (spacing and expression, etc) and from watching Deaf people "storytell" many, many times. I have already explain that to this person (in the past), but obviously something was not successfully communicated. I would be in hysterics (and just ignore it) except that this person is really serious that this is a "ministry" and a way to "spread the Gospel," etc. He even talked about starting a "Deaf ministry" at that church (he is an elder).

I have seen "Deaf ministries" that werer really well-done, some that were so-so, and some that, quite frankly SMELLED. I have seen people get terribly hurt, both Deaf AND Hearing. Misunderstanding, miscommunications, lack of knowledge of cultural norms, stereotyping, blah, blah, blah. Is there a (sort of) polite but DIRECT way to tell this person that he "doesn't get it?" Seems like he wants me to take this "Storytelling" stuff into the Deaf Community.

Anybody got any comments or advice?:roll::roll::roll:

Just say no. I thought you said you now attend a Deaf church anyway?

Thanks for feedback

Yes, I am going to a Deaf church now. I will say "NO." Make a clean break.

another look

A few months ago, I went back to the church with the storytelling. It is much closer to where I live than the Deaf Church I had been going to awhile back. Nobody else at the "storytelling church" can sign. When I went back, I found out some people there had missed me. It was really hard for me at first, because I didn't understand what was going on.

Expressing how I felt about things in spoken English wasn't easy. It is hard for me to admit this, but I decided to stay. I gave the "storytelling" another try--and found another part of myself. I have become much less inhibted and my oral skills have improved a lot.

Back