Stop me if you've heard this before.

Evil_Leprechuan

Reaction score
Hello, You can call me TJ.

Brief Introduction...ok. I will try and keep it brief.

I was introduce to ASL When I was a kid, My Aunt was born deaf, And am the Oldest nephew, grandson, child, she was 14 and always volunteered to watch me, so I learned how to read quite a few signs as a toddler. While a Toddler I was in a accident, kind of freaky to some, not so to one who lived through it, and wound up literately biting my tongue off. MY Aunt and mother decided I need to learn sign, seeing as the doctors when I was young told them there was a very real possibility it would not repair enough for speech. So I stopped learning how to communicate "Normally" and was taught sign by my aunt and a tutor.

The public school system tried putting me in special classes cause regular teachers didnt know sign, if not for me excelling in my classes, except for reading, only cause I couldn't read out loud, they might have succeeded.

I grew up with the same crap the rest of you did, the mocking the teasing, the mimicking, difference is, I could still hear them. When I was about 7 in 2rd grade a doctor cut that little cord under our tongues and made mine long enough for me to be able to talk again. With speech therapy classes I regained speaking, although I would have to continue the speech therapy classes into my teens to get it right.

Changed schools in 3rd grade for a fresh start, Gotta love mom for that idea. I think it was her overhearing someone call me dog boy cause the so called barking noises I made once in a while when I would try and respond to someone verbally when they weren't getting my signs.

Years later I still surround myself with those in the deaf community, in college my room mate was/is deaf. Our group of friends were mainly deaf, save for the few who deemed ASL worth learning. My fiance has two family members who are deaf, I met her through her brother who is a friend of mine who is deaf online over a decade ago.

Recently moved to Jacksonville Florida and am missing the friends I had in College, so here I am looking for a community of people who had to go through Similar crap that the so called normal ppl put us through.

Was that Brief?

Thank you. I know it will take a while for people to warm up to me. It did growing up. CI's were becoming common place when I entered college, that made it a bit easier.

Hello. My father had the same experience as you of biting through his tongue in a car accident.

However surgery was successful and he had no difficulty with resuming speech.

And one of my daughters and my husband's brother both had the surgery to free the tongue for speech.

:wave:

Really? I never met another person that had to go through that. IT's pretty rare to bite it clean off, Holes are more common though from what I was told as a kid. dont get me wrong, part of it did take back but not much. It's more akin to loosing a limb and getting reattached, loss of sensitivty, and the middle was too badly chomped to be re attached so I got my tip and the back, when the did the surgery it allowed my back to come forward more. Most ppl, don't even know unless I tell them..... or I stick out my tongue.

Really? I never met another person that had to go through that. IT's pretty rare to bite it clean off, Holes are more common though from what I was told as a kid. dont get me wrong, part of it did take back but not much. It's more akin to loosing a limb and getting reattached, loss of sensitivty, and the middle was too badly chomped to be re attached so I got my tip and the back, when the did the surgery it allowed my back to come forward more. Most ppl, don't even know unless I tell them..... or I stick out my tongue.

My parents were hit head on by a drunk driver, and I think he was lucky to come out of it with that being his worst injury.

Wow, that was quite interesting to read... I hadn't heard of people biting their tongues off by accident. Welcome to AD!

Back