Stigma of deaf schools?

Daredevel7

Adrenaline Junky
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about this for a while. It’s been discussed many times in AD why hearing parents have chosen certain paths (oralism, CI, TC, SEE, etc.) for their deaf children. Audism, selfishness, laziness, importance of English, better opportunities, enhancement of spoken skills, and “ASL is a crutch” are all examples of named reasons during these discussions. (Just naming some reasons from both sides of the coin). By the way, no need to debate on the reasons I stated above, just trying to give an intro to this post.

I’d like to explore the idea of another reason. Now, let’s put hearing parents, doctors, audiologist aside for a second. How do hearing people in general view deaf people? Not very favorably. All you have to do is look at that “Annoying ignorant hearing people stories” thread along with other similar threads. Deaf people often encounter people who are shocked that they can function like a regular human being. Those who speak often encounter those who are surprised that they can even speak and call them “intelligent”. It tells me that many people do not expect much from deaf people.

Now take a person who has little to no experience with deaf people and s/he has a deaf child. I’d like to say (maybe naively?) that most parents do try to make their child the best they can be. One of the “stigmas” of deaf schools is that they are “dumping grounds” for those who have parents who don’t know what to do with their deaf child. Hearing parents mostly likely would not admit this on AD because, quite frankly, it is an insult to those who did go to deaf schools, right? (There would be the predictable backlash of “I went to a deaf school and my parents did love me!”). People (even doctors) have told my mom to just send me to a deaf school because “I wouldn’t do better, anyway” since I am profoundly deaf. As a parent who knows nothing about Deaf culture, it would be hard to choose the path that hearing people perceive as “your child won’t go far anyway, so might as well put him along with others like him” path. Now, this is when doctors, audiologists, etc. comes in and says “If you work hard with your child, your child may become mainstreamed and function like a hearing person.” This sounds like the “more difficult” path than simply learning ASL and sending the child to the closest deaf school. From the parent’s POV, choosing the perceived “harder path” raises the expectations of their deaf child, not automatically assuming that their child can’t go far in life, which is the perception of many hearing people.

Sorry this is a long post! I will wrap it up. Do you believe that there is a stigma that deaf schools are just dumping grounds for parents who don’t know what to do with them or don’t think the child can do better? If so, do you think that hearing parents choose other paths so that they are not associated with those types of parents (the ones who don’t expect much of their child)?

Disclaimer: I am not saying that some parents simply dump their child in deaf schools because they don’t care or whatever. I am talking about attached stigmas of deaf schools, not the actual actions.

Sorry this is a long post! I will wrap it up. Do you believe that there is a stigma that deaf schools are just dumping grounds for parents who don’t know what to do with them or don’t think the child can do better? If so, do you think that hearing parents choose other paths so that they are not associated with those types of parents (the ones who don’t expect much of their child)?

Disclaimer: I am not saying that some parents simply dump their child in deaf schools because they don’t care or whatever. I am talking about attached stigmas of deaf schools, not the actual actions.

No to the bolded. I think they do it because of how they perceive the success of deaf people they have seen, and they want their children to be part of the wider world, and think it will give them more career choice.

There's definitely a stigma against deaf schools. I was even prejudiced against them after seeing how badly deaf kids wrote at the summer camp. My mother always told me she didn't send me to one because of their poor reputation.

The OP is the perfect example of why hearing parents need to let go of all of their preconceived ideas of deafness from their own hearing perspective, and open themselves up to learning the reality of what it is to be a deaf child educated in the mainstream.:cool2: Too many totally false preconceived notions.

There's definitely a stigma against deaf schools. I was even prejudiced against them after seeing how badly deaf kids wrote at the summer camp. My mother always told me she didn't send me to one because of their poor reputation.

So was I when I was younger. Never mind all the grammar mistakes I make. :P

My most recent grammar mistake was post #55 in the Troy Davis thread : I grew up in a affluent section of Richmond.

It should have been I grew up in an affluent section of Richmond.

Talk about stigma of deaf schools...

The first graders at one deaf school are being taught to do character analysis in which they are required to identify the characters' feelings, what the characters are saying, and what they are thinking. All done in ASL with no restrictions so that puts them on the road for fluid thinking when they get older.

That is the kind of thing that is not focused on when it comes to deaf schools. I feel that because speech is not being used all day is usually the focus and where the negative attitudes towards deaf schools come in. The parents opt for oralism or TC instead of ASL thinking ASL would impede with their speech skills or their ability to read or write. Then, of course later on the children struggle or end up with delays and get sent to the deaf schools with hopes of getting fixed.

Speech is usually the problem here. Trying to make deaf children like hearing instead of respecting their deaf needs are causing all this stigma against deaf schools. :roll:

errr....

I don't think parents see it that way..... The educators see it that way.

Ditto. I think that a lot of parents may not even be aware of the Deaf School option.....and of those that do, they're biased by the type of pro mainstream professionals or the myths that Deaf Schools are only for low functioning kids.

I do think there are stigma of deaf schools here. Most hearing parents will try their deaf kids in mainstream first and when they need to go high school at 12 years old, that when some hearing parents put their deaf children into deaf school if failed mainstream badly and hoping deaf school can repair the damage if deaf children is lucky enough and rest still get sent to mainstream and get worse. Also parents are more likely to send their deaf children to oral deaf school than signing deaf school after mainstream failed like mine did. Oral deaf school still better than mainstream but problems still there cos of communication barrier.

Now, only last 2 years it getting better cos stats says so from NDCS but still way way behind hearing kids.

Talk about stigma of deaf schools...

The first graders at one deaf school are being taught to do character analysis in which they are required to identify the characters' feelings, what the characters are saying, and what they are thinking. All done in ASL with no restrictions so that puts them on the road for fluid thinking when they get older.

That is the kind of thing that is not focused on when it comes to deaf schools. I feel that because speech is not being used all day is usually the focus and where the negative attitudes towards deaf schools come in. The parents opt for oralism or TC instead of ASL thinking ASL would impede with their speech skills or their ability to read or write. Then, of course later on the children struggle or end up with delays and get sent to the deaf schools with hopes of getting fixed.

Speech is usually the problem here. Trying to make deaf children like hearing instead of respecting their deaf needs are causing all this stigma against deaf schools. :roll:

And the kids at the mainstream schools are being given little smilie faces with different expressions all on a sheet of paper with the question, "How do you feel today?":giggle: They are having problems identifying their own emotions, let alone being empathetic enough to understand someone else's. Go figure.

You are completely correct. The stigma all arises out of speech.

Here are two questions:

Do you believe that the majority of the hearing population expects us to be able speak? (NOT your parents/docs, just the general population)

Do you believe that the majority of the hearing population expects us to be able to have regular jobs (on par with hearing people)?

Personally, I don't believe so to both of those questions.

Here are two questions:

Do you believe that the majority of the hearing population expects us to be able speak? (NOT your parents/docs, just the general population)

Do you believe that the majority of the hearing population expects us to be able to have regular jobs (on par with hearing people)?

Personally, I don't believe so to both of those questions.

Yes for the first question, and no for the second.

My recommendation - go to a bar at 1am, try conversing with people. almost all of them will try to speak to you. It is only after I have to REALLY clarify that I can't speak and force them to write they realize otherwise. The reason I say bar at 1 am - Alcohol = truth serum.

Yes for the first question, and no for the second.

My recommendation - go to a bar at 1am, try conversing with people. almost all of them will try to speak to you. It is only after I have to REALLY clarify that I can't speak and force them to write they realize otherwise. The reason I say bar at 1 am - Alcohol = truth serum.

So basically, you're saying that people generally expect us to speak but act like a low functioning individual?

BTW, alcohol also makes one do stupid things.

So basically, you're saying that people generally expect us to speak but act like a low functioning individual?

BTW, alcohol also makes one do stupid things.

Yep, and Yep. I can understand if it is 1 person, but if its a consensus all over the place......

Because of the numerous times I have heard (personally and from other oral deaf) "You speak well! You must be very smart.", I cannot agree with you.

If one thought a deaf person is smart just from speaking well, then that is not their expectation. Speaking well is exceeding their expectations.

When I go to a bar/club/lounge, many drunk people yell directly into my ear (they do it to other hearing people, due to the loud music/noise), even though I told them I lipread. Some are even friends that I've had for years. Doubt this means that they expect me to hear....

Because of the numerous times I have heard (personally and from other oral deaf) "You speak well! You must be very smart.", I cannot agree with you.

If one thought a deaf person is smart just from speaking well, then that is not their expectation. Speaking well is exceeding their expectations.

When I go to a bar/club/lounge, many drunk people yell directly into my ear (they do it to other hearing people, due to the loud music/noise), even though I told them I lipread. Some are even friends that I've had for years. Doubt this means that they expect me to hear....

I see. Never had the speaking experience. But after people feel the need to put some saliva down my ear I push them away, and not in a nice manner.

Question number 1 for me is mixed. Some expect deaf people to speak and some don't expect deaf person speak and there even some expect deaf person don't and do speak (that weird one).

2 hearies I met expect deaf can't speak and expect them to speak, they NOT thinking it through. Got be one or other, not both. I remember long time ago when I was young, hearing man treated me as if I am mute and do not expect me to speak then only few minutes later he expected me to speak and try to force me to. It like he can't make his mind up!

Back