Stereotypes of the deaf and hard of hearing

After reading all those above, I have been through all those issues. I would like to share the oddest comment I ever heard from several people ( so far its usually over age of 70's but I am not trying to sterotyping them but it happens to me so far)... Can deaf people get pregnant? That is the one I usually get when I get pregnant (3 times and never fail to hear those comment each time). Grrr..... :rl:

:rofl: This is by far one of the stupidest questions I have ever heard!

I've had a case, it wasn't hostile though, where one person from school thought that HoH people were just 'deaf' or 'not deaf' ... Well out of the blue. .. "Hey Deaf kid!" ... *i retorted towards him due to his glasses* "Hey Blind Kid!" Situation solved. lol.

:rofl: Good comeback! :rofl:

I don't necessarily think the deaf should not be allowed to drive, but I can say from a hearing prespective, that hearing a horn has saved me from an accident before and vice versa. However, one thing I noticed is that deaf people are very attuned visually and more safe due to paying attention better than we who have all five senses do. Our ears, or our passengers can distract us easier, if your deaf, then hopefully your passengers aren't signing to you then you are in the same boat as we are and you don't have a backup as hearies do like hearing a horn.

I don't think the "Deaf Time" stereotype is actually a stereotype. It's a fact. Nothing to get excited about.

I don't necessarily think the deaf should not be allowed to drive, but I can say from a hearing prespective, that hearing a horn has saved me from an accident before and vice versa. However, one thing I noticed is that deaf people are very attuned visually and more safe due to paying attention better than we who have all five senses do. Our ears, or our passengers can distract us easier, if your deaf, then hopefully your passengers aren't signing to you then you are in the same boat as we are and you don't have a backup as hearies do like hearing a horn.

Horns are the most overused device in the world. The only thing a horn does it make you pay attention(which you should be already) and/or annoy you. If you need it to make you pay attention while driving then I think you should consider being a passenger instead. I, for one, never flinch at the sound of a horn anymore as it's such a daily occurance. In my own car I can't even hear a horn unless i'm idling due to the tone/loudness of my dual exhaust :eek: As for signing in the car... I do it on occasion and I feel its none more distracting then a hearie driving on the cellphone and changing radio stations. Driving is all about eyes, feet, and hands... none of which deafness and/or hearing effects.

Horns are the most overused device in the world. The only thing a horn does it make you pay attention(which you should be already) and/or annoy you. If you need it to make you pay attention while driving then I think you should consider being a passenger instead. I, for one, never flinch at the sound of a horn anymore as it's such a daily occurance. In my own car I can't even hear a horn unless i'm idling due to the tone/loudness of my dual exhaust :eek: As for signing in the car... I do it on occasion and I feel its none more distracting then a hearie driving on the cellphone and changing radio stations. Driving is all about eyes, feet, and hands... none of which deafness and/or hearing effects.

It only takes a split second to get into an accident so taking your eyes off the road whether signing or being distracted by something off the road can a nd does cause accidents. You need your eyes for driving, having ears is a plus too. Your statement if I need a horn to to help me pay attention is ridiculous to say the least I said it is a nice feature to have hearing, I didn't say it was absolutely impossible to drive without hearing so let up on the sarcasm as it is not becoming of you. I don't believe deaf should not drive. I have ridden with them before and felt absolutely safe. Robbielyn

It only takes a split second to get into an accident so taking your eyes off the road whether signing or being distracted by something off the road can a nd does cause accidents. You need your eyes for driving, having ears is a plus too. Your statement if I need a horn to to help me pay attention is ridiculous to say the least I said it is a nice feature to have hearing, I didn't say it was absolutely impossible to drive without hearing so let up on the sarcasm as it is not becoming of you. I don't believe deaf should not drive. I have ridden with them before and felt absolutely safe. Robbielyn

I never once said anything about you feeling that the deaf should not drive. I simply stated that I, as a hearing person, do not feel that hearing affects driving. If hearing really affected driving would a radio be legal to use in cars? I doubt it. Do you feel safer driving with the radio off since you can use your ears to hear more? I know I don't feel any different. I also believe horns have become so overused that they are simply ignored. As I sit and write this response someone has decided to use their horn on my residential street. I surely do not think it was of that much importance that should have required such an annoying blaring noise nonetheless it was used. I don't believe I used any sarcasm during my post yet simply I stated my opinion towards your post.

I never once said anything about you feeling that the deaf should not drive. I simply stated that I, as a hearing person, do not feel that hearing affects driving. If hearing really affected driving would a radio be legal to use in cars? I doubt it. Do you feel safer driving with the radio off since you can use your ears to hear more? I know I don't feel any different. I also believe horns have become so overused that they are simply ignored. As I sit and write this response someone has decided to use their horn on my residential street. I surely do not think it was of that much importance that should have required such an annoying blaring noise nonetheless it was used. I don't believe I used any sarcasm during my post yet simply I stated my opinion towards your post.
Well I like horns as long as I don't live in NYC where they blare like crazy, and I don't mind you having an opinion of course, but to say I should be a passenger is really sarcastic to say the least. Anyways, I said what I felt about it and surely have no intentions of starting anything. I would never be so rude as to tell someone that. This world surely has gotten rude. People insulting people and such. I understand it being used on the street in an inappropriate way especially at night when you're sleeping and they rudely blare it when you're sleeping. I hate that. But sometimes it does come in handy in avoiding an accident. Sometimes people switch lanes and a horn from the driver on that lane saves an accident when that driver is in the other person's blind spot.

One of those annoying sterotypes is that if you're deaf, your eyes have super-sharp sight, a la eagle.
*rolls eyes*
Another one--they're easy!
*threatens to smack around next person who says that*

Yeah? I remember honking the horn at one hearing idiot who backed up into my car. I was like didn't you hear me honking the horn? She said she thought the horn was to the left of her.

What about all those hearing who talk on cell phones while driving? I've heard the other hearing complain about that.

.We do have a back up system: our eyes. We've learned to pay attention to the road and driving conditions. Defensive driving is key to avoiding accidents.

You were way too nice in your response!

Because my deaf son can speechread very well, I've had people tell me "He can hear more than you think he can!" I always say, Oh, yeah? When did you get your audiology degree? People can be such idiots sometimes!!

jillio,

You were way too nice in your response to those people, as I would have said something else, as those people have no qualifications to make any sort of statement like that. I've had such a statement said to me when I have my hearing dog with me and I just roll my eyes and refuse to answer; the people get the message.

On my cdl, it says, "left outside mirror."

Back