Stereotype or not?

Silentwolfdog

Reaction score
I want to know if deaf people in general do have a bit problem with balance?

I was told that deaf people sometimes look like a drunk man in the dark, unable to walk in the straight line or when they close their eyes and have the person push them in which they can't hold their position.

I do not know if it's true or not.

I do know that I do have a little issue with balance especially if I am standing on the bed or when I first learn how to ride the bicycle. (Learning how to ride the bicycle was a nightmare for me!)

But I do not know if it's just a stereotype thing or that it's a fact that because of deafness, one's balance becomes a bit weak or awkward.

I tried to google a bit for this information but could only come up with one article about it.

Anyone care to enlightenment me?

I noticed when I hit 30, I started having problems with my balance...nothing major but it is rampant at night when I am out in the town. When I chat while walking, I notice I steer off and nearly hit poles or trees.

Also, I am always bumping into things and getting bruises. My hubby said it is cuz I dont pay attention but sometimes I wonder...

Interesting topic that u brought up and I am curious to what the others say. :)

My balance gets thrown off when I can not see what I'm doing. I am terrified of heights, especially in dark places due to I have night blindness.. I often bump into things but it is due to not being able to see. I think my balance gets thrown off due to I get scared to take the next step.

It seems that hearing loss and balance can be related. But, from what I have read, it depends on a number of things. For example, people with Usher's Syndrome may have balance problems. It also states ~30%" of profoundly deaf people may have balance problems.

I never had any issues with balance. I started walking and riding a bike at an early age.

Maybe you will find this enlightening: Ear: Anatomy of Hearing and Balance - Hearing Loss, Deafness and Communication Disorders on MedicineNet.com

I have balance problems but that's due to the fact that I have hypotonia. It's not really noticable unless I'm tired.

I dont' have any balance problems. As a matter of fact, I like to walk on narrow things like curbs or etc to keep my balance sharp.

Yes, I have balance problems all my life. From baby to four years, I spend time crawling on the floor instead of walking. I started to walk when I was about four years old. When I do walk, I look down on the sidewalk or floor to walk forward. If I look straight ahead, I tend to go sideway or off balance, even today. I think it depend on your hearing. If you have a perfect hearing like normal/normal hearing, then you would have a straight walk with no balance. I think with profoundly deaf or whatever range you have on the audiograph say, depending how much hearing loss you have, you tend to go off balance or walk like a drunk person. I think that is perfectly normal like every deaf person have to go through. :wave:

It depends on the individual. Everyone is different.

Since you mentioned alcohol, the same applies... different people have different tolerance levels for alcohol. I've seen small women drink more before getting drunk. I've seen big guys get drunk on less alcohol.

As for deafness, we're all deaf for some reason. Some deaf people also are affected by Usher Syndrome. Some aren't. I'm deaf, but I'm not affected because my deafness was caused by something else.

I guess I am trying to compare ourselves to hearing people. Are we more likely than hearing people to have our balance being affected because of deafness?

I mean normal deaf people and normal hearing people. Not those that master their balance from doing skateboard or ballet or whatever.

It's know fact that some blind people have problem with sleeping, because their body can't tell if it's night or day outside all because they can't see. Therefore, it messes up their body clock.

I am just curious if loss of one sense would alternative the body, sometimes in a negative way. That's all.

I do have problem with balance at night and walk alike drunk, it was mostly caused by spinal mengitis. I love hike at night especially full moon, no problem but if it was pitch black then I feel lost and losing control of myself.

I have MAJOR problems with my balance - especially when my hearing aid battery is dead or if I don't use my hearing aid for a long period of time. Sometimes I get so dizzy I just throw up. I have to look down while I'm walking (looks like I have low self esteem or something).

My audiologist said sometimes people get so dependent on hearing aids that if they don't wear them, they will experience dizziness.

If I ever get pulled over by a cop and asked to walk the straight line - drunk or not, I'm screwed. :Ohno:

I noticed when I hit 30, I started having problems with my balance...nothing major but it is rampant at night when I am out in the town. When I chat while walking, I notice I steer off and nearly hit poles or trees.

I have the same problem. I always had co-ordination problem, tho. But I've noticed that my balance doesn't seem to be as steady through the darkness or when I'm quite fatigued.

Wonder if it's a version of night blindness?

I have the same problem. I always had co-ordination problem, tho. But I've noticed that my balance doesn't seem to be as steady through the darkness or when I'm quite fatigued.

Wonder if it's a version of night blindness?
It could be that your balance relies on your visuals. If you can see, you can tell how to run. It's almost like the rotating tunnel illusion. People rely on their visuals and get dizzy.

I have issues with balance from time to time, but I did have meningitis when I was 2, so that's probably the main factor for my balance issues.

Oh yes my balance sucked since I lost rest of my hearing lol I used to be good with balance beam and stuff but now I walk like I'm drunk haha but I notice since ci surgery its little better for some reason *shrugs*

It kinda funny, Hearing loss, and losing balance. But it is related. The part of the brain that helps with balance it right near the ear, if I remember right.

Plus, using surroundings to keep balance also helps too. I am hearing, and I know in day time, while working on a trailer, I will lose my balance. It is due to the trailer next to it moves. I see the other trailer in the corner of my eye and think it is the trailer I am standing on that is moving, not the next one over. That can be related to at night, which with deaf ppl, they can't hear stuff to start with and their eye sight is limit due to the dark. That good reason for that.

Also think of it this way. If someone cuts off your pinky toe, your balance is thrown off too. Now, that toe is small and it gets in the way more then it helps. If that is the case, being hoh or deaf and losing your balance at night is believable.

Then again, it is also depends on the individual how well their balance is to start with. I am sure there are deaf ppl that have better balance then me at night too.

If the hearing loss is due to Meniere's Disease then there will be balance issues.

Personally I lose my balance and have to catch myself. Have yet to fall - i have catlike reflexes :D

Yes, I've had balance problems since I was little ... I also have trouble knowing when my head is "level" ... for some reason I always hold my head tipped left or right - I'm quite sure that has to do with inner ear stuff .....

Yes, I've had balance problems since I was little ... I also have trouble knowing when my head is "level" ... for some reason I always hold my head tipped left or right - I'm quite sure that has to do with inner ear stuff .....

Good point. That might be the problem with inner ear. With the ears and the eyes, we need a balance with gravity to walk straight without straying off veering to the left or to the right every time we walk. Our ears are not even like the eyes of normal 20/20 vision. I don't think it has anything to do with our diseases that cause us to be deaf and lose our balance. Some of you, Deafies and HOH are lucky, not to lose balance. :cool:

Back