Steps to develop a best friend

Seattle.guy

Reaction score
I found an article from an online today. I posted it, because I want it to be constant reminder to some "certain" people, who will get the best of them if they don't start changing their unfriendly ways for the real friend ways. Enjoy! :D

Best Friends: How to Grow a Friend
A twelve-step program

The best time to grow a best friend is before you need one!

Written or compiled by Joy Stevens

1. People Equal Friends.
There is a certain chemistry with friends just as in a love relationship. Therefore, contact with other people is the first building block to grow a friend. Friends can't grow in a vacuum. Best friends take time.

2. Talking Is Essential Among Friends.
Talking between friends requires reciprocity. In a mutually satisfying friendship, both friends talk and both friends listen. Friends talk appropriately to each other.

3. Friends Acknowledge Friends.
Friends acknowledge each other when talking. Many conflicts in your personal relationships can be avoided if you will take the time to acknowledge other's feelings and points of view.

4. Friends Listen to Friends.
Listening to friends in an important step in building a closer friendship. We often take listening for granted, never realizing what it means to really listen to a friend.

5. Friends Attend to Friends.
Friends focus during conversations. Friends pay attention in conversations. It means that your ears, your eyes, your body and your feelings are all focused on that person at the time.

6. Friends Show Empathy With Friends.
Empathy is identifying with your friend's feelings and seeing life through your friend's eyes. Confidences are freely given when they are received with empathy among friends.

7. Friends Touch Friends.
Touching is a warm form of communication between friends. When you see best friends communicating, you will notice friends "listen with their eyes," stand close together, and touch comfortably.

8. Friends Praise Friends.
Affirmation is a powerful tool for growing a friend. Genuine praise can affect your friends' lives. Be liberal with praise for all of your friends, including your casual ones.

9. Friends Are Loyal and Trustworthy.
Trust and loyalty go hand-in-hand for friends. Friends can trust you with their secrets, both large and small, because good friends never break a confidence. Good friends are forever loyal!

10. Friends are Equal.
Friends are on a seesaw. In a healthy relationship, friends are equals. Not 50/50 every time, of course, but with a true, lasting friendship it always evens out in the end.

11. Friends Reveal Their Feelings.
We feel closest to our friends when we are suffering together, when we feel like our friend needs us, or when we feel a friend has shared something of great importance with us.

12. Friends Do Not Mind Read.
The person who thinks, "If you really liked me, you could read my mind" can not have an adult friendship. No friend can read your mind. And you can not read your friend's mind.

You can check out the link, 12-steps to grow a best friend and friendship growth. ,for more detailed descriptions of each of these 12 steps.

Many of these are so true! I have had friendships fall apart due to not having some of those steps.

I will send this to my friends. :)

Yes it is all soo true! I only have a few close friends that I keep in contact and the rest of friends are just general friends.

Thanks for sharing the article. Seattle.guy :)

My best friend and I are best friend for more than 20 years. We stick each other at bad or good times. We know what are best friend and friend.

My best friend and I are best friend for more than 20 years. We stick each other at bad or good times. We know what are best friend and friend.

That is great! Cherish it all u can. :) Friendships like that are a blessing!

My best friend and I have been best friends for 34 years now and I cherish it with all my heart. There is nobody else in this world that understands me like she does. :)

That is great! Cherish it all u can. :) Friendships like that are a blessing!

My best friend and I have been best friends for 34 years now and I cherish it with all my heart. There is nobody else in this world that understands me like she does. :)

That is so great that you have a best friend for 34 years. Best friends are not easy to keep long time. True friends are hard to find.

It doesn't make sense to have more than one best friends. Other friends closer to you only second (and so on) to your best friend are considered your good friends.

I don't have a best friend that is near me but one lives on east coast but we knew each other for like almost 26 years ;) but she doesn't forget me sometimes we will chat on ims when she's not busy :) otherwise than that.. I consider my date my friend.. too :) I think it's nice to have some1 who u need some1 to hang out with and have a good time with :)

I think that it is also a matter of how one feels inside, without that list coming into play. What someone feels for another person they consider to be their best friend is something that cannot be described or articulated perfectly. I think that when two (or more) people achieve that level of closeness, they just know.

I have had friends who did all of those things only to find out they were not a friend to even start with, even though they did all the right things. Those who have been there will know exactly what I am talking about.

It is always nice to have a best friend but keep in mind sometimes your best friend can be a real hinderance. You need to have a wide range of friends. Don't focus on this one friend, get out and experience everyday life, meeting new friends and keeping old friends, who really are friends.

Best Friends are hard to come by because many people don't fall in that category of becoming best friends. I don't have one except my girlfriend.

Best Friends are hard to come by because many people don't fall in that category of becoming best friends. I don't have one except my girlfriend.

Yes,best friends are hard to meet.
I have two :D One is a member here and the other is my work partner :)

Back