staying friends after break up

marcyp06

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I ended our 10 month relationship. We love each other very much but it just wasn't working. We have become best friends and want to remain that way but it is going to be very difficult. I am friends with many of my exes but always after time. This time we are trying to just change over night from being in a relationship to just friends. Has anyone done this sucessfully?

not right after,but as long as you give it time, I am sure it will work. Trying to be friends instantly after the break up will be hard, I would suggest at least a couple weeks without contact just to get the old relationship feelings under control.

My girlfriend and I ended our 10 month relationship. We love each other very much but it just wasn't working. We have become best friends and want to remain that way but it is going to be very difficult. I am friends with many of my exes but always after time. This time we are trying to just change over night from being in a relationship to just friends. Has anyone done this sucessfully?

yes. not that hard. :)

Time to step back and get an education.....Was it really love?....Was it too much too soon?...that which does not kill you, only makes you stronger.

Moved quickly and both recently out of long term relationships. Yes was/is real love. Her first public gay relationship. Communication barriers. A lot of stuff.

I don't believe in staying friends after a breakup. I really don't see the point. Usually one or both people still have some unsettled feelings, and remaining friends just allows those to fester and possibly develop into something harmful later on down the road. I'm not saying it can't be done, but for me, a clean break is always needed.

I dated a guy for 6 months , we remain friends for 30 years , we did have some disagreements. I when to visit my friend and his wife for a few days in OK. After we broke up we did not speak to one another for a awhile but after a few months we started hanging out together and had some good time together , we took a trip to LA and my friend new girlfriend stayed home.
My friend came to see me when I had my baby. My friend dies a few years ago and I was thinking about him today and wishing I could talk to him.
We got along better when we were not dating. It may take a awhile to work things out with your ex girlfriend , you will have to feel thing outand see what work for best for you both . I have heard of people breaking up and becoming friends and falling love again.

"just friends" = no physical intimacy? To me, that's mostly what a break-up is. Either she or I don't trust/love each other "enough" to get through some communication impasse. Sometimes it's too much of a burden to work through or too much of a "relationship foul" and a break-up ensues. Sometimes you don't see that person ever. But mostly, we're all happier because we're not mutually exclusive anymore and still enjoy each others company without the urge for physical intimacy. It's rough, but usually a new lover will lessen the potent memories. There's usually a very good reason why break-ups happen, so if it does happen, review it together and then decide if it was right (and you can still bear those kind of emotions) and if you can prevent the issue in the future.

hi i am anita berry i am in need of a agood guy who is ready to lov me the way i want

I chose to stay friends with my ex of 20 years for the emotional security of our son. It can be done, but you must be clear about your boundaries, emotional, and physical.

My ex hubby and I are enemies and I prefer to keep it that way. I tried to be friends with him after the divorce but he continued to play mind games with me so I prefer to be his enemy.

ahhh,, young love memories. nothing you can do. best you can do is be as civil the best you can be. something will either drive you away either now or in the future. It will always be time, distance, resentment, social/freind change that will change your current wanting to keep the relationship.

Depends on how the guy treats you after breaking up with him.

Back