State Welfare and Food Stamp Requirement Changes Comparison

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

In SC, they even offered the non-driver ID's at no cost, and provided free transportation to the DMV.

Photo ID requirement hits low class/poor people so hard in our state and there are no free ID with photo. Most of them use ID or document without photo like birth certificate, SSN, etc. Now, we will not see much poor people will ability to vote without photo ID. We are no South Carolina.

Nope. In all the states where photo ID laws were passed, they found an increase of the number of poor or disadvantaged people at the polls.

Photo ID requirement hits low class/poor people so hard in our state and there are no free ID with photo. .

From the article I quoted:
every state that has passed a voter ID law has also ensured that individuals who do not have a photo ID can easily obtain one for free if they cannot afford one.

I think somebody has been lying to you about what your state's laws are. I wonder why they would lie to you like that?

Nope. In all the states where photo ID laws were passed, they found an increase of the number of poor or disadvantaged people at the polls.

Do you have source about increase of poor people at polls? I don't believe in this BS.

At first, you don't live in Alabama and our government is very corrupted for years, even much worse after GOP tookover of state legislative for first time since Reconstruction. Many voters aren't understand and they prefer to sticking with corrupted politicians. Some politicians got arrested by federal for varies of law violation, especially gambling. The photo ID requirement isn't well constructed in our state and there are no DMV places. You have to get a driver license or non-driver license at courthouse with limited hours, especially in Jefferson County that where they cut hours to save money and they are bankrupting right now. It will still no easy access for poor people and they will have to thorough with numerous red tape and they may not get one at closer to election day, nor at all. There are many people are not informed about new law and they will end up to be turn away due to lack of photo ID.

I rather to live in California than in Alabama.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

In SC, they even offered the non-driver ID's at no cost, and provided free transportation to the DMV.

Not in case with our state, No DMV places and anyone need driver/non-driver licenses have go to courthouse with limited hours and there are no free shuttle either. The public transportation in Jefferson County is limited and horrible.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Re the Photo ID - even in locations that might not yet require photo ID for voting (and offer free IDs to do so), I'm certain that the goverment office handling food stamps/vouchers would quite easily be able to make up a custom photo ID card for those registered to receive stamps/vouchers/swipe cards etc through that program.

From the article I quoted:
every state that has passed a voter ID law has also ensured that individuals who do not have a photo ID can easily obtain one for free if they cannot afford one.

I think somebody has been lying to you about what your state's laws are. I wonder why they would lie to you like that?

There is no such "free" and just increase more red tape.

Offer free voter ID with photo cost taxpayers as well.

I'm not concerned about vote fraud in the US and they are not big issue since majority of voters are honest. The vote fraud probably take much less than 0.1% and anyone commit vote fraud will face arrest. Hackers are more sophisticated and they capable to make ID with photo that exact same as driver license or voter ID.

You should glad that you don't live in Russia or Iran that where election is rigged and fraud.

Offer free voter ID with photo cost taxpayers as well.

Yes it does, but that's the price we have to pay to ensure fair elections. BTW according to the state website you can get IDs at the DPS office.

I'm not concerned about vote fraud in the US and they are not big issue since majority of voters are honest. The vote fraud probably take much less than 0.1% and anyone commit vote fraud will face arrest. Hackers are more sophisticated and they capable to make ID with photo that exact same as driver license or voter ID.

You should glad that you don't live in Russia or Iran that where election is rigged and fraud.

It's ok that you are not concerned with it. Some of us are. THAT is why we vote in the first place.

If u need an ID to buy Beer, Sudafed, or cigerettes, then why cant u used an ID to vote?

Maybe its me, but in DC, my first job (not summer job)required a photo ID, when I went to cash my paycheck, photo ID. I had to learn the ropes of government, but for $10 a got my Birth Certificate. My Social Security was free. Armed with these two documents I was able to get my non-drivers photo ID from the DMV which also cost $10 at the time. I did all this when i was 16 years old. So are you really telling me that grown adults cant do the same?

Do you have source about increase of poor people at polls? I don't believe in this BS.

I'm pretty sure that was in the one of the articles I linked for you. If you read them and still don't see it, let me know and I'll look it all up again.

It's interesting that you object to voter ID because it will cost taxpayers, but you think college education should paid for by taxpayers.

Voter fraud is an issue that ought to concern all voters. We don't actually know what percentage it is because without voter ID requirements, there's not a good way of tracking it. When some states have investigated (which isn't often), they are turning over thousands of unauthorized votes. Every fraudulent vote disenfranchises a legitimate vote.

And I am positive you are being misled about the requirements in Alabama. Somebody wants you to believe lies. If I were you, I'd be investigating that.

I'm pretty sure that was in the one of the articles I linked for you. If you read them and still don't see it, let me know and I'll look it all up again.

It's interesting that you object to voter ID because it will cost taxpayers, but you think college education should paid for by taxpayers.

Voter fraud is an issue that ought to concern all voters. We don't actually know what percentage it is because without voter ID requirements, there's not a good way of tracking it. When some states have investigated (which isn't often), they are turning over thousands of unauthorized votes. Every fraudulent vote disenfranchises a legitimate vote.

And I am positive you are being misled about the requirements in Alabama. Somebody wants you to believe lies. If I were you, I'd be investigating that.

Your source doesn't say anything about increase of voters.

You misunderstood my post and I'm refer about K-12 education.
http://www.alldeaf.com/2038350-post96.html

However, it is waste of taxpayers for free voter ID with photo that has no benefit to prevent any vote fraud.

If vote fraud is less than 0.1% so it is not my concern and vote fraud could be happen in anytime, no matters if photo ID is required. You missed some of my posts and hackers are sophisticated, they can create fake voter ID that looks legitimate. We are not Russia or Iran.

I'm being misled about requirement? That's your wish and there are no such about "free" due to red tape. Having invasion of red tape cost money, IMO.

Even, you don't live in my state and you don't have any experience about how is our government looks.

If u need an ID to buy Beer, Sudafed, or cigerettes, then why cant u used an ID to vote?

Maybe its me, but in DC, my first job (not summer job)required a photo ID, when I went to cash my paycheck, photo ID. I had to learn the ropes of government, but for $10 a got my Birth Certificate. My Social Security was free. Armed with these two documents I was able to get my non-drivers photo ID from the DMV which also cost $10 at the time. I did all this when i was 16 years old. So are you really telling me that grown adults cant do the same?

You are so absolutely correct! In some cases they don't want one because they are wanted by the police but in reality they already have one but just don't carry it so that it is harder to ID them! Ask me I know. I see it often. Some more of them are lazy, some just don't care because they depend on someone else to provide everything anyway. Most who receive government assistance actually do have an ID. Foxrac you are being lied to by people who are trying to hide something bigger such as voter fraud and just plain old fraud. Voter fraud is huge! Many dead people listed as voting in many states.

Last edited:
You are so absolutely correct! In some cases they don't want one because they are wanted by the police but in reality they already have one but just don't carry it so that it is harder to ID them! Ask me I know. I see it often. Some more of them are lazy, some just don't care because they depend on someone else to provide everything anyway. Most who receive government assistance actually do have an ID. Foxrac you are being lied to by people who are trying to hide something bigger such as voter fraud and just plain old fraud. Voter fraud is huge! Many dead people listed as voting in many states.

What's nonsense post! :wtf:

Foxrac, I do not have to live in Alabama to know what the requirements are for getting picture ID. That information is available on your state's website, and what you have said here is not what your state's website says.

Here's another interesting article on the voter ID issue:
But only on Election Day do these divisive Democrats seem concerned about those without ID cards. The other 364 days of the year, these men and women are undocumented citizens. Absent photo ID, these disconnected Americans do not participate fully in the American experience. Those without photo ID cannot open bank accounts. They may not board passenger jets. They are not supposed to ride Amtrak trains. They may not purchase cough syrup containing ephedrine and other methamphetamine precursors. In Illinois, they may not buy Drano. In fact, they may not enter the Justice Department to denounce photo-ID rules without first showing photo ID.
Race-baiting Democrats apparently couldn’t care less about these undocumented citizens. If they did care, they would lead a common-sense effort to provide photo-ID cards to every American adult who needs one. By displaying ID cards on Election Day, these politically enfranchised Americans would curb potential and actual ballot fraud and boost confidence in the voting system.
Beyond Election Day, these freshly documented citizens would be socially enfranchised. With photo-ID cards, they could cash checks, fly, visit government buildings, and do plenty more that documented citizens accomplish daily.
“It’s perplexing how so many groups complaining about Voter I.D. laws have the funds to register voters, educate voters, and transport voters to the polls, but never budget anything to rectify ID problems,” declared Deneen Borelli, one of my fellow advisory-board members of Project 21, a network of market-oriented black thinkers.

More at the link.

A study by the University of Missouri concluded that voter turnout increased by almost 2% in Indiana in the first election after the introduction of a voter ID law (2006) [3] Counties with higher than average minority, poor or elderly populations displayed no detectable reduction in voter participation. According to the study, “the only consistent and statistically significant impact of photo ID in Indiana is to increase the voter turnout in counties with a greater percentage of Democrats relative to other counties.” [3]
A Rasmussen poll of likely voters (2010) demonstrated massive support (82%) for enhanced photo ID laws, a support that included all racial and ethnic categories. Rasmussen concluded that it was “a sentiment that spans demographics, as majorities in every demographic agree.” [4]
Likewise, a study by the University of Delaware and the University of Nebraska scrutinized election returns for the years 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2006. This study concluded that when viewed as either groups or as individuals, there was no reduction in voter turnout among blacks, Hispanics, women, the elderly or anyone else as a consequence of the implementation of voter photo-ID laws. It was their informed opinion that “concerns about voter identification laws affecting turnout are much ado about nothing.” [5]
A survey of registered voters in Maryland, Indiana and Mississippi by American University concluded that “showing a photo ID as a requirement of voting does not appear to be a serious problem in any of the states” because “almost all registered voters have an acceptable form of photo ID” [6] An election survey conducted in 2008 of 12,000 registered voters in all 50 states found no more then nine people who claimed they could not vote because of a voter ID requirement.
Close on the heels of several well-publicized prosecutions for voter fraud, voter turnout in Greene County, Alabama, which is 80% African American, increased.[7] It would seem that increased voter confidence in the honesty of elections increases voter turnout. The voter participation of African Americans in Georgia and Indiana was at an all-time high in both the primary and general elections of 2008, which was also the first presidential election held after these states passed voter photo-ID requirements.
The number of blacks voting in the 2008 primary was double what it had been in 2004, before the voter ID law took effect. The number of folks who had to vote a provisional ballot because they showed up at the polls without a proper photo ID was fewer than one in one thousand (0.1%). Georgia, with one of the toughest voter ID laws, had the largest voter turnout in its history in 2008; Democrat turnout jumped up an additional 6.1% from 2004, before the photo ID requirement. [8] The black share of Georgia's statewide vote increased from 25% in 2004 to 30% in 2008. [9] In nearby Mississippi, a state with many black voters and no voter ID requirement, the Democrat vote increased by only 2.35%.
The Georgia voter ID law has been upheld by every state and federal court in Georgia that reviewed it, up to and including the Georgia Supreme Court. These courts have held that the Georgia law does not unduly burden any racial or economic group, that it does not violate the Georgia or the U.S. Constitutions, or any federal voting rights law, including the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
Of course, no amount of science or judicial finding could deter the propagandists at the ACLU and the NAACP from undermining voter confidence and inflaming minority fears by filing specious lawsuits against voter ID laws. When dismissing these baseless claims the federal court noted the fact that after years of making inflammatory assertions that there were hundreds of thousands of voters without a photo ID, the plaintiffs had yet to identify even one person who did not possess a photo ID or could not easily obtain one. The district court judge decided that
This failure to identify those individuals “is particularly acute” in light of the Plaintiffs' contention that a large number of Georgia voters lack acceptable Photo ID . . . The fact that Plaintiffs, in spite of their efforts, have failed to uncover anyone “who can attest to the fact that he/she will be prevented from voting” provides significant support for a conclusion that the photo ID requirement does not unduly burden the right to vote. [10]

3. Jeffrey Milyo, The Effects of Photographic Identification on Voter Turnout: A County Level Analysis, Institute of Public Policy Report 10-2007, Truman School of Public Affairs, University of Missouri (Nov. 10, 2007), available at Requiring Photo ID Has Little Effect on Voter Turnout, MU Study Finds | MU News Bureau
4. 82% Say Voters Should Be Required to Show Photo ID, Rasmussen Reports (Aug. 18, 2006), available at Evidence of Voter Fraud and the Impact that Regulations to Reduce Fraud have on Voter Participation Rates by John Lott :: SSRN
5. Jason D. Mycoff, Michael W. Wagner, and David C. Wilson, The Empirical Effects of Voter-ID Laws: Present or Absent, PS: Political Science & Politics, 42 (2009), 121-126.
6. Voter IDs Are Not the Problem: A Survey of Three States, Center for Democracy & Election Management, American University 37 (Jan. 2008) available at http://www.american.edu/spa/cdem/upload/VoterIDFinalReport1-9-08.pdf
7. Hans A. von Spakovsky, Absentee Ballot Fraud: A Stolen Election in Greene County, Alabama, Legal Memorandum No. 31, The Heritage Foundation (Sept. 5, 2008).
8. Press Release, American University, Much-hyped Turnout Record Fails to Materialize – Convenience Voting Fails to Boost Turnout (Nov. 6, 2008)
9. Davis Bositis, Blacks and the 2008 Election, A Preliminary Analysis, Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies (Nov. 2008).
10. Common Cause of Georgia v. Billups, 504 F.Supp.2d 1333, 1380 (N.D. Ga. 2007).

The Liberal Fear of Voter Identification

The Brennan Center and the ACLU reach their low numbers of voter fraud with some interesting book keeping. They simply do not count every known case or source of voter fraud.

Also, Foxrac, I told you the source for my statement that voter turnout actually increased was in one of the two links I already posted. You said it wasn't. But I just checked, and it is.
Moreover, minority voter turnout has actually increased in states that have implemented voter ID laws. In Georgia, for example, which enacted a photo ID law in 2008, the number of African-American voters has increased more than ten percent after the new law went into effect.

That's from page 2 of the second link I posted.

Foxrac, I do not have to live in Alabama to know what the requirements are for getting picture ID. That information is available on your state's website, and what you have said here is not what your state's website says.

Here's another interesting article on the voter ID issue:

More at the link.

3. Jeffrey Milyo, The Effects of Photographic Identification on Voter Turnout: A County Level Analysis, Institute of Public Policy Report 10-2007, Truman School of Public Affairs, University of Missouri (Nov. 10, 2007), available at Requiring Photo ID Has Little Effect on Voter Turnout, MU Study Finds | MU News Bureau
4. 82% Say Voters Should Be Required to Show Photo ID, Rasmussen Reports (Aug. 18, 2006), available at Evidence of Voter Fraud and the Impact that Regulations to Reduce Fraud have on Voter Participation Rates by John Lott :: SSRN
5. Jason D. Mycoff, Michael W. Wagner, and David C. Wilson, The Empirical Effects of Voter-ID Laws: Present or Absent, PS: Political Science & Politics, 42 (2009), 121-126.
6. Voter IDs Are Not the Problem: A Survey of Three States, Center for Democracy & Election Management, American University 37 (Jan. 2008) available at http://www.american.edu/spa/cdem/upload/VoterIDFinalReport1-9-08.pdf
7. Hans A. von Spakovsky, Absentee Ballot Fraud: A Stolen Election in Greene County, Alabama, Legal Memorandum No. 31, The Heritage Foundation (Sept. 5, 2008).
8. Press Release, American University, Much-hyped Turnout Record Fails to Materialize – Convenience Voting Fails to Boost Turnout (Nov. 6, 2008)
9. Davis Bositis, Blacks and the 2008 Election, A Preliminary Analysis, Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies (Nov. 2008).
10. Common Cause of Georgia v. Billups, 504 F.Supp.2d 1333, 1380 (N.D. Ga. 2007).

The Liberal Fear of Voter Identification

The Brennan Center and the ACLU reach their low numbers of voter fraud with some interesting book keeping. They simply do not count every known case or source of voter fraud.

Also, Foxrac, I told you the source for my statement that voter turnout actually increased was in one of the two links I already posted. You said it wasn't. But I just checked, and it is.

That's from page 2 of the second link I posted.

Ok, I'm not surprised that photo ID requirement has no effect on low income and poor people if they are informed, especially sign up for free voter ID in advance.

Congresswoman in Alabama - Terri is concerned about photo ID requirement and I don't live in her district (7th). I live in 6th but will be 3rd in Jan 2013 due to redrawn.
US Rep. Terri Sewell opposes Alabama photo voter ID law | al.com

The photo ID requirement isn't kicked in until 2014 and I don't know about how free voter ID is processed like having go to court or call state department or something like that. I'm concerned about red tape and I just want voters to ensure that they already have photo ID in their hand. Not all people will aware of voter ID requirement and they may be SOL. I hope that local news or local radio alert them about new law.

For my view, photo ID requirement for voting is unnecessary, in my opinion.

Ok, I'm not surprised that photo ID requirement has no effect on low income and poor people if they are informed, especially sign up for free voter ID in advance.

Congresswoman in Alabama - Terri is concerned about photo ID requirement and I don't live in her district (7th). I live in 6th but will be 3rd in Jan 2013 due to redrawn.
US Rep. Terri Sewell opposes Alabama photo voter ID law | al.com

The photo ID requirement isn't kicked in until 2014 and I don't know about how free voter ID is processed like having go to court or call state department or something like that. I'm concerned about red tape and I just want voters to ensure that they already have photo ID in their hand. Not all people will aware of voter ID requirement and they may be SOL. I hope that local news or local radio alert them about new law.

For my view, photo ID requirement for voting is unnecessary, in my opinion.

Thank-you for the increase in civility. I am impressed.

Red tape in any government program is always a concern, I do agree with you there. I hope that all those who have fought so hard against photo ID will now turn their energies into helping voters get their ID and get to the polls.

We both think something different will happen. I think we will have less voter fraud, and you think it won't make any difference.
It will be interesting to see what, if anything, changes in states that get photo ID.

Back