State of Tennessee closes down "ex-gay" mental facility

Vance

Reaction score
NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The state Department of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities has ordered the closing of what it calls two unlicensed personal care facilities run by a Christian group that counsels gays to give up homosexuality.

The state inspected two facilities in Memphis on Aug. 19 and determined Love In Action International Inc. was providing housing, meals and personal care for mentally ill patients without a license, according to a subsequent letter to the organization from the Department of Mental Health.

The department gave Love In Action until Sept. 23 to cease operation of the facilities and apply for a state license.

Love In Action spokesman Gerard Wellman declined Monday to answer questions about the state's allegations.

"We will be commenting when the time is right," or when the case is past its initial stage, Wellman said.

Lawyer Nathan Kellum responded to the state on Sept. 14 with a letter acknowledging Love In Action had received the state's notice and promising to respond fully by Sept. 23.

"The issue is these being supportive care facilities," state spokeswoman Lola Potter said Monday. "Supportive care must be licensed."

Former Love In Action client Peterson Toscano said Monday that a house manager for the program told him one of the manager's responsibilities was dispensing drugs that had been prescribed for participants.

"He told me that it was to keep people from misusing the drugs," said Toscano, who is now a writer and performer living in Hartford, Conn.

Under state regulations, facilities that dispense medication to patients require a license.

The Love In Action facilities were still in operation Monday, Potter said.

If the organization were to continue operating the facilities past the Sept. 23 deadline, it would face criminal penalties that include fines of up to $500 and six months in jail for each day the facilities are determined to be in violation of state laws, Potter said.

More... http://www.wsmv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3870537

I'm glad to hear this has finally been shut down. I personally know people who went through this program, and it is not the lovie dovie BS they proprogate. It is straight out brainwashing. Whats even worse is that this is based out of Bellevue Baptist Church, the 3rd largest church in the United States, and where most of the residents in my neighborhood attend.

and it is not the lovie dovie BS they proprogate. It is straight out brainwashing
Oh gee.....that doesn't surprise me one iota! I HATE HATE HATE how they push the opinon that GLB folks are having those feelings b/c of some personal failure with God? Then again, we're talking about the people who think Chick Tracts and witnessing/street ministry works....UGH!

Back