Starkey Destiny BTE Hearing Aid

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
So I got the Starkey Destiny BTE hearing aid today. While it's pretty cool that it balances sound and is somewhat more accurate than my old analog hearing aid, I have to say I'm disappointed. :ugh3:

I've been wearing analog hearing aids for my left ear all my life. The thing with an analog hearing aid is that it picks up the loudest sound available which can be both a good or bad thing. It's bad because if someone is talking to you and there's people behind that person, the chances are your analog hearing aid is going to pick up the background noise because it's louder.

On the other hand, with a digital hearing aid, it dramatically reduces the background noise and focuses on the person talking to you. Being hard of hearing, I can actually hear the big difference in sounds around me when using my new digital hearing aid. However, because it balances sound and I listen to music through sorround speakers, and play my guitar through a cab with 4 speakers, the hearing aid goes crazy and dramatically changes volume every other second. It makes it sound like my speakers have serious problems. I can't enjoy music now that I wear a digital hearing aid. :pissed:

Those who wear digital hearing aids, ever have a similar experience?

I'm going to go and make a relay call to my audiologist and set up a new appointment now...

.... I have digital and I don't have that problem. But then again, my hearing aid doesn't automatically adjust volume or settings for certain situations. I'd never want to get a hearing aid that would change and choose on its own, as if it's got a mind of its own, oh no. I'm sticking with my Phonak Supero, where I can change the settings and volume myself with a push of a button.

Alex,

I may be wrong about this, but it sounds as if your digital hearing aids have the compression setting enabled on them. You might want to ask your audi if this is the case and if so, to disable this setting.

When I wore digital HAs (Oticon DigiFocus II super power BTEs), I asked my audi to disable compression because of sound constantly fading in and out. This was especially problematic for me when I was outside traveling because the compression setting caused my HAs to cut in and out whenever a loud vehicle passed me by. Once my audi disabled the compression setting on my aids, I found that the sounds I heard were smoother and more consistent.

Let us know what happens at your audi appointment. :)

So I got the Starkey Destiny BTE hearing aid today. While it's pretty cool that it balances sound and is somewhat more accurate than my old analog hearing aid, I have to say I'm disappointed. :ugh3:

I've been wearing analog hearing aids for my left ear all my life. The thing with an analog hearing aid is that it picks up the loudest sound available which can be both a good or bad thing. It's bad because if someone is talking to you and there's people behind that person, the chances are your analog hearing aid is going to pick up the background noise because it's louder.

On the other hand, with a digital hearing aid, it dramatically reduces the background noise and focuses on the person talking to you. Being hard of hearing, I can actually hear the big difference in sounds around me when using my new digital hearing aid. However, because it balances sound and I listen to music through sorround speakers, and play my guitar through a cab with 4 speakers, the hearing aid goes crazy and dramatically changes volume every other second. It makes it sound like my speakers have serious problems. I can't enjoy music now that I wear a digital hearing aid. :pissed:

Those who wear digital hearing aids, ever have a similar experience?

I'm going to go and make a relay call to my audiologist and set up a new appointment now...

It's the compression, I think it's the sounds that above your ability to handle will shut down as I hate it too...so maybe the smartlink would help in a way i think... I love phonak hearing aids though!!! as I'm HOH but profounded deaf weird set up lol...

.... I have digital and I don't have that problem. But then again, my hearing aid doesn't automatically adjust volume or settings for certain situations. I'd never want to get a hearing aid that would change and choose on its own, as if it's got a mind of its own, oh no. I'm sticking with my Phonak Supero, where I can change the settings and volume myself with a push of a button.

Tha'ts what I have Phonak Supero with AUdioZoom AV412 I think.. not too sure it's awesome but the compression I think since it's programmable that's the problem or have it manually... once the battery is dying I hate the beeps lol...

Alex,

I may be wrong about this, but it sounds as if your digital hearing aids have the compression setting enabled on them. You might want to ask your audi if this is the case and if so, to disable this setting.

When I wore digital HAs (Oticon DigiFocus II super power BTEs), I asked my audi to disable compression because of sound constantly fading in and out. This was especially problematic for me when I was outside traveling because the compression setting caused my HAs to cut in and out whenever a loud vehicle passed me by. Once my audi disabled the compression setting on my aids, I found that the sounds I heard were smoother and more consistent.

Let us know what happens at your audi appointment. :)

really I'm curious what's really the compression for??? yeah I have the similar problems it fading in and out especially when in my car listening to music... I have to turn to the second in order for it to stop.. well you know there's no perfect hearing aid just like there's no perfect house but make the best of it.. smile..

I believe compression is designed to soften loud sounds so that they are more comfortable to hear.

You're right about there not being a perfect hearing aid :) -- although my analog Oticon 380Ps come close. They've worked perfectly for 16 years without requiring a single repair. My digitals on the other hand, needed to be repaired twice in one year due to the amplifier malfunctioning after being exposed to sub zero temperatures.

Compression is also sometimes used for people with mild recruitment issues. However, it obviously has a trade off in terms of overall quality. I remember one of the hearing aids I tested for my right ear had different program settings that you could choose from and maybe that would suit Alex? He can pick and choose when he wants compression or not.

Alex,

I think I have the same kind of bte's you've got. My old ones were also analog and I've always had analog. With digital, you will need to get used to them. It will take time and a few trips throughout the year to your audiologist to tweek them to where you can actually use them. Good luck!! :)

Go to your audiologist and have him/her create a 2nd program for music. You need to tell them to kick down or shut off the noise management system and put the microphones in full time omni-directional mode (sound coming in 360* around you like your old hearing aids). Right now when you play music your hearing aids are going into directional adaptive mode, meaning the rear microphone is searching for the loudest noise source from behind and trying to reduce it.

Cool Steve thanks for the info but the problem is if you only have 3 pgrms on your hearing aid... 1 - surround sounds 2- direct sound and 3 t-coil... wishing there's just another one just for audio.. grr..

Cool Steve thanks for the info but the problem is if you only have 3 pgrms on your hearing aid... 1 - surround sounds 2- direct sound and 3 t-coil... wishing there's just another one just for audio.. grr..

For your Supero's, Program 1 basic is what you should use to listen to music. Ironically, the "Basic" program and what Phonak makes their default pre-set "Music"program, is the same thing. :lol:

For your Supero's, Program 1 basic is what you should use to listen to music. Ironically, the "Basic" program and what Phonak makes their default pre-set "Music"program, is the same thing. :lol:

see I wouldn't have known that lol.. smile (blushing)... so anything stronger than that kind of hearing aid?? what's a newer one??

Also,the smarklink I'm getting any other accessories - do i need microlink?? I know I need such as the antenna as needing to hook up my ipod as well as in meetings so on.....

I'm gonna try to check into phonak una as well... needing to hear softer sounds as well since I'm down on the 95 to 105db level.. but i do hear some bird chirping if it's quiet around me... or fire sirens ... so on...

see I wouldn't have known that lol.. smile (blushing)... so anything stronger than that kind of hearing aid?? what's a newer one??

Also,the smarklink I'm getting any other accessories - do i need microlink?? I know I need such as the antenna as needing to hook up my ipod as well as in meetings so on.....

I'm gonna try to check into phonak una as well... needing to hear softer sounds as well since I'm down on the 95 to 105db level.. but i do hear some bird chirping if it's quiet around me... or fire sirens ... so on...

the only digital aid that MAY be stronger than Phonak is the SUMO but even then only in the deep bass. There is not much change going on with supper power aids as manufactures usually put the latest advances in the more moderate power aids. If you are going to use the smart link you may need to add the FM boots.

Tha'ts what I have Phonak Supero with AUdioZoom AV412 I think.. not too sure it's awesome but the compression I think since it's programmable that's the problem or have it manually... once the battery is dying I hate the beeps lol...

Supero AZ413. the 413 is the only Supero with the AudioZoom I think. And I like the beeps when the battery is dying!

Speaking of batteries, I need to buy some more... ugh.

Stronger?...no. Same amount of power with additional features, yes. The Oticon Sumo or any Siemens super power hearing aid. You will need a receiver to utilize the smartlink, so yes if you don't have one already, the microlink is great.

Your audiologist will know what you need, but for your FYI:

1. Your Supero needs an audio contact plate (if it doesn't already). That is something that the manufactuer adds to the hearing aid.

2. Audio shoe model AS4-MLx or AS4-MLxS. If they use MLxS use the AS4-MLxS audio shoe. If they use the MicroMLxS they should use
Audio shoe AS4-MLx. The MicroMLxS is the smaller of the two receivers.

3. Microlink Receiver (the MicroMLxS is newer and utilizes a stronger antenna).

Hope this helps. :D

Stronger?...no. Same amount of power with additional features, yes. The Oticon Sumo or any Siemens super power hearing aid. You will need a receiver to utilize the smartlink, so yes if you don't have one already, the microlink is great.

Your audiologist will know what you need, but for your FYI:

1. Your Supero needs an audio contact plate (if it doesn't already). That is something that the manufactuer adds to the hearing aid.

2. Audio shoe model AS4-MLx or AS4-MLxS. If they use MLxS use the AS4-MLxS audio shoe. If they use the MicroMLxS they should use
Audio shoe AS4-MLx. The MicroMLxS is the smaller of the two receivers.

3. Microlink Receiver (the MicroMLxS is newer and utilizes a stronger antenna).

Hope this helps. :D

Wow Steve, you've been a really GREAT help to me..

Also, what about the transmitter isn't that what I have to use for my ipod or blackberry???? (sorry about being confused as this surely is when I don't have a clue how these things work!!!!) lmao...I wish I could get steps for it as well what benefits is good for it... when they say that I could hear the person on the microphone in a meeting blocking all surrounded sounds if i'm at the back of the room... how that work?? I guess the new hearing aids will have to have that audio contact plate added than having it added onto my old hearing aids (only 3 years old)... since I rather to keep up having current ones. I think my audiologist had me tried the Sumo one but couldn't get the programming to work to suits me.... so I have to wait abit to see if she got it set up properly... she's gonna let me try Windex one.. ack..

does the seimens or sumo have two microphones on the aid?? I find it worth it when having two microphone with my phonak superpro A413 ...

THANKS again STEVE!!! smile

I'm back again, just was researching on the net for SUMO DM

I'm not even so sure what the channels means?? some have like 4 or 8 channels, care to explain?? smile

there's four settings on the SUMO DM is that correct???

Program switch
The fully programmable 3-position switch offers up to three listening programs, including the possibility of more than 1 M program:

M: Listening program
MT: Microphone + Telecoil program
T: Telecoil program
OFF: Optional OFF program

This doesn't work with Smartlink??

couldn't find if there's two microphone on this one...

thanks again...

I'm back again, just was researching on the net for SUMO DM

I'm not even so sure what the channels means?? some have like 4 or 8 channels, care to explain?? smile

there's four settings on the SUMO DM is that correct???

Program switch
The fully programmable 3-position switch offers up to three listening programs, including the possibility of more than 1 M program:

M: Listening program
MT: Microphone + Telecoil program
T: Telecoil program
OFF: Optional OFF program

This doesn't work with Smartlink??

couldn't find if there's two microphone on this one...

thanks again...

Channels refers to the number of adjustable pitches I have control over in the programming. The more I have, the more I can fine tune the hearing aids (not everyone needs the most). The MAX number of usable channels on todays hearing aids is about 8. That because hearing aids only amplify up to a certain frequency, beyond that don't do much. So although a hearing aid manufacturer gives me control of 8000Hz, it really doesn't do much if I was to turn it up (to where you can perceive a change).

The SUMO DM is an 8 channel hearing aid and has 3 programs. The VC control allows you to dial the hearing aid down to off (You'll feel a tactile click when it's off). It also has a Red LED status light to show you it's on. It is compatible with Phonak FM systems. It does not utilize directional microphones (two mics), because the majority of severe-to-profound hearing impaired people (who likely have been wearing hearing aids since childhood), hate directional microphones. They commonly state when they get into noise, the hearing aids get too quiet. They are used to the 360* sound they got with one mic.

Back