Stanford Discovery Could Lead To Cure For Deafness

It's possible. However, a cure is a cure and many people will want that. Nor more than people who would want to see their vision improved or restored as well. The same for people who are paralyzed with damaged spinal cord injuries and so on.
The way you wrote it seem like you don't really care if it is mandatory. How can you be fine with it?

I hope our civil rights to have deaf children will be protected!

Ok? Outright, let's say there is a cure for deafness, a guarantee cure for, say, sensorineural hearing loss (not genetic) is available,
You really can't do that, since etologies and causes are so drasticly different in the pediatric population.
there will never be a universal cure for hearing loss.
Quite frankly, I think they need to concentrate more on cures for things like Alizheimer's, mental illness, mental retardation, etc. Pediatric hearing loss is not that big of a deal.
The difference between a cure for late deafened ex hearing adults and dhh kids, is that kids can adapt to being dhh much better then adults. Most dhh kids will never really know what it's like to experiance normal hearing. They can adapt very easily to being dhh.

I am stating a hypothetical question based on a guaranteed cure if it were the actual case. If you can't or don't want to answer that then say so.

I am stating a hypothetical question based on a guaranteed cure if it were the actual case.
Yes, but your hypothesis is flawed, simply b/c etoloigies are so numerous, that there will never be a "wham bam" you're cured cure.
I support cures 100% for ex hearing, ex sighted, and ex whatever people. I can imagine that it must be very difficult for someone to adjust to an aquirred disabilty.
I also support cures for mental issues. (including mental retardation, autism, scheizophernia, depression, Alizhemiers, etc)
BUT, I do not support curing blindness, hearing loss, and other relatively mild pediatric disabilties (I DO support curing/amerirating profound and severe disabilties like the kids who are functionally/mentally babies and toddlers or who are medically fragile)
Kids can adapt very easily to being dhh, or blind/low vision or wheelchair/walker users.
For them it is normal. How do you know that your hypothetical cure wouldn't cause worse damage? (eg improve hearing, but screw things up so that they have painful hyperacusis or whatever)

that's why I posted a hypothetical cure case. I never said a "wham bam" but a hypothetical cure when the end result is the full restoration of hearing.

Now, having said that, I'm sure hearing parents wouldn't think twice in going that route to help restore their baby/child's hearing loss.

Besides what's so great about being hearing/sighted or whatever? Deafness or blindness isn't better or worse then being hearing or sighted. It just IS! It would be like saying that we need to cure blue eyes or people with blonde hair or whatver.

Besides what's so great about being hearing/sighted or whatever? Deafness or blindness isn't better or worse then being hearing or sighted. It just IS! It would be like saying that we need to cure blue eyes or people with blonde hair or whatver.

:gpost::gpost:

What makes being deaf/blind worse is other people not getting that deafness/blindness isn't "worse" and treating you like you're worse off.

What makes being deaf/blind worse is other people not getting that deafness/blindness isn't "worse" and treating you like you're worse off.
One tenant of disabilty rights is that it's not the disabilty/physical condition that causes problems. It's how people treat you that's the problem.

Blue eyes and blonde hair are not sensory organs.

People give lots of reasons on why being able to hear or see is great. You might not think it's no big deal, for others they may feel otherwise. If there's a bonafide and safe cure available for a particular condition, I'm sure people will not think twice to have it administered.

Blue eyes and blonde hair are not sensory organs.

People give lots of reasons on why being able to hear or see is great. You might not think it's no big deal, for others they may feel otherwise. If there's a bonafide and safe cure available for a particular condition, I'm sure people will not think twice to have it administered.

When a sighted/hearing person gushes about how great sight/hearing is to a deaf/blind person, they're projecting how they feel about their sight/hearing onto the deaf/blind person without first considering how the deaf/blind person actually feels about their deafness/blindness.

When a sighted/hearing person gushes about how great sight/hearing is to a deaf/blind person, they're projecting how they feel about their sight/hearing onto the deaf/blind person without first considering how the deaf/blind person actually feels about their deafness/blindness.

Are you saying that blind or visually impaired people would not take a jump for a vision cure if there was one available?

Are you saying that blind or visually impaired people would not take a jump for a vision cure if there was one available?
People who became blind/low vision YES.....people who have always been blind/low vision prolly not. They've always been blind/low vision. They don't know what it's like to be sighted, any more then you would know what it's like to have echolocation as a sense.

Way to twist around my words.

No. I am saying that when a hearing/sighted person gushes about how great hearing/sight is, they are projecting their feelings onto the deaf/blind person without considering how the deaf/blind person feels about their deafness/blindness. I never said anything about how the deaf/blind person actually feels. I never said whether they prefer, accept, or hate their deafness/blindness. The point of my statement is that the vast majority of hearing/sighted people don't even think to consider the deaf/blind person's feelings before projecting their own onto them. They might find that some deaf/blind people don't mind being deaf/blind, some prefer it, and some wish they weren't. Those who wish they weren't can go for the cure. Those who don't mind it can save some money, and those who prefer it can enjoy it.

People who became blind/low vision YES.....people who have always been blind/low vision prolly not. They've always been blind/low vision. They don't know what it's like to be sighted, any more then you would know what it's like to have echolocation as a sense.

And there may be some people who acquire deafness/blindness who don't mind it or who just see it as a different batch of pros and cons. It depends on the individual, which is why I think that in providing a cure, it has to be implemented carefully, and not forced on anyone, but simply offered to those who want it.

Bottom line, there are people who would jump at the chance for this cure whether if they were born with a hearing loss or acquired their hearing loss later on in life. Then there are those who won't take it for a variety of reasons.

Bottom line, there are people who would jump at the chance for this cure whether if they were born with a hearing loss or acquired their hearing loss later on in life. Then there are those who won't take it for a variety of reasons.

I don't think anyone's debating whether a cure should be made available. Just how it's implemented.

Time to register the domain name AllDeafCured.com

Back